Snow!

>But why exactly?

Courtesy

Mind, would you want to be outed as a Marilyn Bagger?

Richard Webb

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ste mc © wrote:
>
> > I'm sure it's the sort of thing you could do up a mountain, and with a nice backdrop it'd
> > certainly be something to try out. Especially if you like those dreamy water photos.
>
> Definitely, but most times I've been out when it's snowing you can't see the background! Also, the
> snow was lit by the garage light in that shot, which probably affected the look of it. And another
> thing, you'd really need to use a tripod to keep the background sharp, if you could see it!
>
> Paul

Always a problem if you can't actually see anything! :) Couldn't you use a flash to get some light
into the scene? It might also add an interesting (or it could be terrible) effect with the longer
shutter speed?

Ste

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> stemc © wrote:
>
> >> http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/urw/fractal/fractal.html
> >
> > I don't think I've seen this, but nice mountains! :) You must have really caught the
> > photography bug (as if I didn't know this already!) to have created these images when you
> > couldn't get out! ;-)
>
> What was fun was setting up realistic lighting and clouds for different times of the day and
> trying to find the best vantage points, compositions and most suitable focal lengths for each
> location.

So have you get any good results from this kind of reconnaissance? Any great images in the bag that
you might not have noticed otherwise?

> > Looking at this image, http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/urw/fractal/15lake.jpg is that a 30
> > second shutter speed, as the clouds look a lot like this one:
> > http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/mh/th_ir.jpg :)
>
> Yes, I must have taken that one on a tripod because the sun was low! As you can see the foreground
> trees have disappeared into shadow. I didn't know about contrast masking then! ;-)

Haha, you're a dedicated professional Paul, no doubt about it! :-D

> Paul

Ste

stemc © wrote:

>> Also, the snow was lit by the garage light in that shot,
>> which probably affected the look of it. And another
>> thing, you'd really need to use a tripod to keep the
>> background sharp, if you could see it!

> Always a problem if you can't actually see anything! :)
> Couldn't you use a flash to get some light into the scene?
> It might also add an interesting (or it could be terrible)
> effect with the longer shutter speed?

Yes, using fill-in flash might have been a good idea, but I
didn't think of that at the time.

Paul
--

stemc © wrote:

> So have you get any good results from this kind of
> reconnaissance? Any great images in the bag that you might
> not have noticed otherwise?

You said this in reference to my fractal images, so I'm not
sure how that relates to real photography, but setting up 3D
views and lighting is something that's currently topical
with Anquet and MM.

So, speaking in terms of the Anquet software, I haven't
taken any great images yet as a direct result of using the
software, that will be most helpful when I visit new areas
that I'm currently unfamiliar with (although I forgot to do
that prior to my recent Purbeck trip).

I have experimented with some compositions up in North Wales
but haven't yet got up there to actually take the pictures.

As for my local area, one might think that there's nothing
new to discover, but when I was playing around with 3D views
of Mynydd Drumau which I recently visited, I noticed a small
bump in the valley which I've never noticed before. This
small bump seems to be the location of some fields or a park
that sticks up slightly above the surrounding urban area and
thus could be a good viewpoint.

I'd probably never have noticed this without the Anquet 3D.
When driving past it's hidden by buildings and from higher
ground looking down it's so small that you probably wouldn't
notice it.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders
<[email protected]> writes
>As for my local area, one might think that there's nothing
>new to discover, but when I was playing around with 3D
>views of Mynydd Drumau which I recently visited, I noticed
>a small bump in the valley which I've never noticed before.
>This small bump seems to be the location of some fields or
>a park that sticks up slightly above the surrounding urban
>area and thus could be a good viewpoint.
>
>I'd probably never have noticed this without the Anquet 3D.
>When driving past it's hidden by buildings and from higher
>ground looking down it's so small that you probably
>wouldn't notice it.

I'd be interested in seeing this with a view to identifying
the "bump"
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Paul
Saunders <[email protected]> writes
>> Always a problem if you can't actually see anything! :)
>> Couldn't you use a flash to get some light into the
>> scene? It might also add an interesting (or it could be
>> terrible) effect with the longer shutter speed?

With a long shutter speed, the duration of the flash would
only register at about 1/2000 sec or less - can't think of
a typical value at the moment. It would have no bearing on
the overall exposure, only the foreground within range of
the flash.
--

--

W. D. Grey wrote:

> I'd be interested in seeing this with a view to
> identifying the "bump"

NW of Neath Abbey, next to the school, a small hill, height
of 102m with some trees on the NE side. There's a name
underneath that says Craig. Roughly SS732978,

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=273250&y=197850&z=3-
&sv=273150,19 7850&st=4&dn=780

Just to the left of the arrow. Not so many trees on the 25k
map, the summit is clear.

I don't know if this hill is part of the school
grounds or not.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Paul
> Saunders <[email protected]> writes
> >As for my local area, one might think that there's
> >nothing new to discover, but when I was playing around
> >with 3D views of Mynydd Drumau which I recently visited,
> >I noticed a small bump in the valley which I've never
> >noticed before. This small bump seems to be the location
> >of some fields or a park that sticks up slightly above
> >the surrounding urban area and thus could be a good
> >viewpoint.
> >
> >I'd probably never have noticed this without the Anquet
> >3D. When driving past it's hidden by buildings and from
> >higher ground looking down it's so small that you
> >probably wouldn't notice it.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing this with a view to
> identifying the "bump"

Probably a large pillow mound!

Gwyn

In article <[email protected]>, Paul
Saunders <[email protected]> writes
>> I'd be interested in seeing this with a view to
>> identifying the "bump"
>
>NW of Neath Abbey, next to the school, a small hill, height
>of 102m with some trees on the NE side. There's a name
>underneath that says Craig. Roughly SS732978,

Sorry Paul -I'll have a look of course, but I somehow
thought it was in the Swansea Valley. I'm not so well up on
the Neath Valley.
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk