Snowdon 'to lose its snowcap by 2020', says study

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:31:48 -0000, "Michael" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Bad news for winter walkers...
>
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/12/22/nsnow22.xml

"This is further evidence of global warming brought on by increases in
man-made carbon dioxide levels."

So how does he work that out then?

--
York Alpine Club - http://www.yorkalpineclub.org.uk
Recent Photos - http://climbing.me.uk

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bad news for winter walkers...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/12/22/nsnow2
2.xml

Why pick on Snowdon? If it's getting warmer then we're all going to
have less snow. There are no glaciers in the UK so snow will continue
to settle and melt through the winter season. What's the skiing like
these days in Scotland? I bet we haven't had enough snow even up there
for us to talk about semi permanent snow caps.

Graham

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:44:33 +0000, Simon Caldwell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:31:48 -0000, "Michael" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>Bad news for winter walkers...
>>
>>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/12/22/nsnow22.xml
>>

>"This is further evidence of global warming brought on by increases in
>man-made carbon dioxide levels."
>
>So how does he work that out then?

A leap of faith, I think. This is how popular dodgy theories get made
even more popular by evidence which is only evidence if the theory is
true....

"spongebob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Bad news for winter walkers...
> >

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/12/22/nsnow2
> 2.xml
> >

> Why pick on Snowdon? If it's getting warmer then we're all going to
> have less snow. There are no glaciers in the UK so snow will continue
> to settle and melt through the winter season. What's the skiing like
> these days in Scotland? I bet we haven't had enough snow even up there
> for us to talk about semi permanent snow caps.
>
> Graham
>
> So what happens if the Gulf Stream collapses like some are predicting

doesn't that mean the UK will plunge into a much more Northerly Climate !!!!

"spongebob" <[email protected]> wrote in news:tNjyd.262$N97.197@newsfe5-
win.ntli.net:

> What's the skiing like
> these days in Scotland?

Virtually non-existant in the 2004 season. Some high-level stuff
but nothing at car-park level.

--
Adrian

"Ploggo" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "spongebob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Bad news for winter walkers...
>> >

>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?

xml=/news/2004/12/22/nsnow2
>> 2.xml
>> >

>> Why pick on Snowdon? If it's getting warmer then we're all going to
>> have less snow. There are no glaciers in the UK so snow will continue
>> to settle and melt through the winter season. What's the skiing like
>> these days in Scotland? I bet we haven't had enough snow even up
>> there for us to talk about semi permanent snow caps.
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> So what happens if the Gulf Stream collapses like some are predicting

> doesn't that mean the UK will plunge into a much more Northerly
> Climate !!!!

Yep. More like Alaska. Great for ski-ing, btw.

--
Adrian

"Ploggo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "spongebob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Bad news for winter walkers...
>> >

>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/12/22/nsnow2
>> 2.xml
>> >

>> Why pick on Snowdon? If it's getting warmer then we're all going to
>> have less snow. There are no glaciers in the UK so snow will continue
>> to settle and melt through the winter season. What's the skiing like
>> these days in Scotland? I bet we haven't had enough snow even up there
>> for us to talk about semi permanent snow caps.
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> So what happens if the Gulf Stream collapses like some are predicting

> doesn't that mean the UK will plunge into a much more Northerly Climate
> !!!!

That's what happened in 'The Day After Tomorrow' - oh, and killer -150F
storms that followed you through buildings.