Snowed in!

Marlene Blansha

Guest
Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum? In montreal we're expecting a *&*&^*(&^&* snowstorm.
It's been the longest coldest winter (last winter was a fluke, mild and snowless but we had a ****
SPRING!). I got knocked off my bike by a car in october which pretty much ended my season.

Now after freezing since october (it got really cold early) and sub-zero temps all winter, it
refuses to END! NOw we're getting snow! I'm so SICK of this and I want to get out on my bike without
freezing to death. WAAAA! stomp yell rant pout!

It actually was nice a couple of weeks ago, but I was too busy to ride, then I got sick and then the
weather was **** again. WAAAA! Now instead of getting out on my bike I'll be shoveling the walk!

Okay, it's not unusual to get snow here this time of year but I'm sick of it anyways! ANd I am sure
plenty of other people are getting horrible weather, this storm is coming from the midwest so it
must be pretty bad there too.

Let's all rant about this endless miserable winter! WAAAA!

Pant pant, now I feel a bit better. Well, it's off to spinning class.

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

> Okay, it's not unusual to get snow here this time of year but I'm sick of it anyways! ANd I am
> sure plenty of other people are getting horrible weather, this storm is coming from the midwest so
> it must be pretty bad there too.

In the balmy San Francisco Bay Area, the snow level is 2500 ft. today. I got snowed on during
Wednesday's ride.

Marlene wrote:
> Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum? In montreal we're expecting a *&*&^*(&^&*
> snowstorm. It's been the longest coldest winter (last winter was a fluke, mild and snowless but
> we had a **** SPRING!). I got knocked off my bike by a car in october which pretty much ended
> my season.
>
> Okay, it's not unusual to get snow here this time of year but I'm sick of it anyways! ANd I am
> sure plenty of other people are getting horrible weather, this storm is coming from the midwest so
> it must be pretty bad there too.
>
> Let's all rant about this endless miserable winter! WAAAA!...

Here in metro Detroit (north of Windsor we have freezing rain. Last Friday I had on shorts and
flip-flops. Did 25 miles on Tuesday, another 15 on Weds (just enough to make my legs say "pay
attention here!") and tomorrow for the peace march I'll be back in long-barrels and boots. I feel
your pain. Pray for spring to continue! --Karen M.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Karen
M.) wrote:

> Marlene wrote:
> > Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum? In montreal we're expecting a *&*&^*(&^&*
> > snowstorm. It's been the longest coldest winter (last winter was a fluke, mild and snowless but
> > we had a **** SPRING!). I got knocked off my bike by a car in october which pretty much ended my
> > season.
> >
> > Okay, it's not unusual to get snow here this time of year but I'm sick of it anyways! ANd I am
> > sure plenty of other people are getting horrible weather, this storm is coming from the midwest
> > so it must be pretty bad there too.
> >
> > Let's all rant about this endless miserable winter! WAAAA!...
>
> Here in metro Detroit (north of Windsor we have freezing rain. Last Friday I had on shorts and
> flip-flops. Did 25 miles on Tuesday, another 15 on Weds (just enough to make my legs say "pay
> attention here!") and tomorrow for the peace march I'll be back in long-barrels and boots. I
> feel your pain. Pray for spring to continue! --Karen M.

Same here! Last friday it was 15C (about 60f for you yankees)! NOw instead of getting on the bike
I'll be shoveling the walk.

However, there's a saying: Snow in april doesn't last as long as water on a trout's back. True! NO
matter how much you get, usually it's mush in a couple of days. Let's just hope this is it!

Fritz M <[email protected]> wrote:
: Embrace the pain. http://www.icebike.org/

the dark side has a joy all its own. tourists used to take photos of me in downtown minneapolis in
january. and to be completely honest they're among my proudest memories as a cyclist. snappin my
bottom bracket spindle on franklin & hennepin in february and landing comfortably in a snow bank.
showing up to work in -30C. xc ski goggles. red wing boots. wool socks.

christ i love spring.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

> Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum? In montreal we're expecting a *&*&^*(&^&*
> snowstorm. It's been the longest coldest winter (last winter was a fluke, mild and snowless but
> we had a **** SPRING!). I got knocked off my bike by a car in october which pretty much ended
> my season.
>
> Now after freezing since october (it got really cold early) and sub-zero temps all winter, it
> refuses to END! NOw we're getting snow! I'm so SICK of this and I want to get out on my bike
> without freezing to death. WAAAA! stomp yell rant pout!
>
> It actually was nice a couple of weeks ago, but I was too busy to ride, then I got sick and
> then the weather was **** again. WAAAA! Now instead of getting out on my bike I'll be shoveling
> the walk!
>
> Okay, it's not unusual to get snow here this time of year but I'm sick of it anyways! ANd I am
> sure plenty of other people are getting horrible weather, this storm is coming from the midwest so
> it must be pretty bad there too.
>
> Let's all rant about this endless miserable winter! WAAAA!
>
> Pant pant, now I feel a bit better. Well, it's off to spinning class.

Marlene, you have my deepest sympathy. I will pick a daffodil for you! Best regards from the west
coast, Bernie

In article <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

> Marlene Blanshay wrote:
>
> > Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum? In montreal we're expecting a *&*&^*(&^&*
> > snowstorm. It's been the longest coldest winter (last winter was a fluke, mild and snowless but
> > we had a **** SPRING!). I got knocked off my bike by a car in october which pretty much ended my
> > season.
> >

> > Let's all rant about this endless miserable winter! WAAAA!
> >
> > Pant pant, now I feel a bit better. Well, it's off to spinning class.
>
> Marlene, you have my deepest sympathy. I will pick a daffodil for you! Best regards from the west
> coast, Bernie

Thanks, at least you didn't tell me about how nice the weather is out there.

When I was a kid my father travelled a lot for his business, and in march he'd usually be out west
in BC. When he called he'd tell us how the tulips were out and the temp was about 60 degrees, and
we'd be here in the snow and sleet, my sister or I would be sick with something or other, and we'd
be yeah, thanks a lot dad!

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

> Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum? In montreal we're expecting a *&*&^*(&^&*
> snowstorm. It's been the longest coldest winter (last winter was a fluke, mild and snowless but
> we had a **** SPRING!). I got knocked off my bike by a car in october which pretty much ended
> my season.
>
> Now after freezing since october (it got really cold early) and sub-zero temps all winter, it
> refuses to END! NOw we're getting snow! I'm so SICK of this and I want to get out on my bike
> without freezing to death. WAAAA! stomp yell rant pout!
>
> It actually was nice a couple of weeks ago, but I was too busy to ride, then I got sick and
> then the weather was **** again. WAAAA! Now instead of getting out on my bike I'll be shoveling
> the walk!
>
> Okay, it's not unusual to get snow here this time of year but I'm sick of it anyways! ANd I am
> sure plenty of other people are getting horrible weather, this storm is coming from the midwest so
> it must be pretty bad there too.
>
> Let's all rant about this endless miserable winter! WAAAA!
>
> Pant pant, now I feel a bit better. Well, it's off to spinning class.

The Tierra Bella bike ride was today:

http://www.actc.org/tb/index.html

2000 people, all cranking away. It was wonderful. And, most of us have been biking all winter long.

You chose to live there, I chose to live here.

Sam

[email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum?

Would it stop you if we did?

>In montreal we're expecting a *&*&^*(&^&* snowstorm. It's been the longest coldest winter
>(last winter

I was just thinking that, when I remembered that last April the idiots who manage my condo shut
the heat off after the first two warm days. Then we had another month of cold weather.

I'm kicking myself this year because I only realized
that the Rouge River was frozen solid about 2 weeks before
it wasn't. So I had a frantic two weeks of walking on the
river, exploring where I'd never be able to go in summer.

Might be fun on a bike with studded-tires as well. Or in a puncture-resistant kayak, while the
spring thaw provides water levels which cover *MOST* of the sharp rocks.

Then the ice melted, we had a few warm cycling days, and the ice / snow / ice storms hit. Bah.

> > Let's all rant about this endless miserable
>winter! WAAAA!

Misery loves .....

> Well, it's off to spinning class.

Gold from straw ?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (mark
freedman) wrote:

> [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum?
>
> Would it stop you if we did?
>
> >In montreal we're expecting a *&*&^*(&^&* snowstorm. It's been the longest coldest winter
> >(last winter
>
> I was just thinking that, when I remembered that last April the idiots who manage my condo shut
> the heat off after the first two warm days. Then we had another month of cold weather.
>
> I'm kicking myself this year because I only realized
> that the Rouge River was frozen solid about 2 weeks before
> it wasn't. So I had a frantic two weeks of walking on the
> river, exploring where I'd never be able to go in summer.
>
> Might be fun on a bike with studded-tires as well. Or in a puncture-resistant kayak, while the
> spring thaw provides water levels which cover *MOST* of the sharp rocks.
>
> Then the ice melted, we had a few warm cycling days, and the ice / snow / ice storms hit. Bah.

The big storm ended up fizzling out, anyways. Instead of the 15-25cm we were supposed to get, we got
more like 7 and during the day it turned into ice pellets, freezing rain and drizzle. So it was a
mushy mess but nowhere near the huge dump we were supposed to get, and it won't take as long to
melt. Also, the forecast is calling for nice weather later in the week- thurdsay will be 8 and
sunny, friday 12 and sunny! Friday I'll finally get out the Kona!

Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum? In montreal we're expecting

I was tempted to do the same thing. :)

> was a fluke, mild and snowless but we had a **** SPRING!). I got knocked off my bike by a car in
> october which pretty much ended my season.

Sorry to hear this; you missed quite a few warm days in November, then. (+20C on 11/10, as I recall.
Quite a day; melted all the snow and extended the season for a week or two.)

> Now after freezing since october (it got really cold early) and sub-zero

I really don't mind if it's cold, as long as the roads are clear. Autumn nights are the best;
nothing like riding sub-zero at 1am to make you appreciate life.

> stomp yell rant pout!

My thoughts exactly!

> It actually was nice a couple of weeks ago, but I was too busy to ride,

Too busy?! Aw, how could you *not* ride when it was so gorgeous outside?

> Okay, it's not unusual to get snow here this time of year but I'm sick of it anyways! ANd I am
> sure plenty of other people are getting horrible

Yeah, at first it looked like a fluke that would melt in a day or two. <sigh>

Quite a funky year so far; temperatures are either way below or way above the averages. Seems like
Mother Nature just can't make up her mind about it.

> Let's all rant about this endless miserable winter! WAAAA!

Courage! Warmer days await later this week. :)

--
Frederic Briere <*> [email protected]

=> <[email protected]> IS NO MORE: <http://www.abacomsucks.com> <=

In article <[email protected]>, Frederic Briere <[email protected]> wrote:

> Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum? In montreal we're expecting
>

> > It actually was nice a couple of weeks ago, but I was too busy to ride,
>
> Too busy?! Aw, how could you *not* ride when it was so gorgeous outside?
>
> > Okay, it's not unusual to get snow here this time of year but I'm sick of it anyways! ANd I am
> > sure plenty of other people are getting horrible
>
> Yeah, at first it looked like a fluke that would melt in a day or two. <sigh>
>
> Quite a funky year so far; temperatures are either way below or way above the averages. Seems like
> Mother Nature just can't make up her mind about it.
>
> > Let's all rant about this endless miserable winter! WAAAA!
>
> Courage! Warmer days await later this week. :)

I really was too busy and unable to get out, also I had to replace the bottom bracket on my cross
bike. As for the road bike, I just got a new

some more repairs on that, nothing major but it's on the DL for now.

The forecast is calling for nice weather later in the week, so whatever snow we got will be mush in
a couple of days but but beginning of the week does look pretty drecky.

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Marlene Blanshay wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum? In montreal we're expecting a *&*&^*(&^&*
> > > snowstorm. It's been the longest coldest winter (last winter was a fluke, mild and snowless
> > > but we had a **** SPRING!). I got knocked off my bike by a car in october which pretty much
> > > ended my season.
> > >

> > > Let's all rant about this endless miserable winter! WAAAA!
> > >
> > > Pant pant, now I feel a bit better. Well, it's off to spinning class.
> >
> > Marlene, you have my deepest sympathy. I will pick a daffodil for you! Best regards from the
> > west coast, Bernie
>
> Thanks, at least you didn't tell me about how nice the weather is out there.
>
> When I was a kid my father travelled a lot for his business, and in march he'd usually be out west
> in BC. When he called he'd tell us how the tulips were out and the temp was about 60 degrees, and
> we'd be here in the snow and sleet, my sister or I would be sick with something or other, and we'd
> be yeah, thanks a lot dad!

That was pretty mean of him! I won't tell you what an awesome day it was today. No need to bore you
with tales about the flocks of swans and geese ready for the last great leap north or those pesky
bald eagles sitting high in the cottonwoods watching for an unwary steelhead or salmon as I zipped
by riding a 20+ km tailwind. ;-) Best regards, Bernie

Karen M. <[email protected]> wrote:
: Marlene wrote:
:> Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum? In montreal we're expecting a *&*&^*(&^&*
:> snowstorm. It's been the longest coldest winter (last winter was a fluke, mild and snowless but
:> we had a **** SPRING!). I got knocked off my bike by a car in october which pretty much ended my
:> season.
: ...
:>
:> Okay, it's not unusual to get snow here this time of year but I'm sick of it anyways! ANd I am
:> sure plenty of other people are getting horrible weather, this storm is coming from the midwest
:> so it must be pretty bad there too.
:>
:> Let's all rant about this endless miserable winter! WAAAA!...

: Here in metro Detroit (north of Windsor we have freezing rain. Last Friday I had on shorts and
: flip-flops. Did 25 miles on Tuesday, another 15 on Weds (just enough to make my legs say "pay
: attention here!") and tomorrow for the peace march I'll be back in long-barrels and boots. I
: feel your pain. Pray for spring to continue!

Yea, we got the freezing rain on Friday too (actually, it just poured for most of the day, then got
down to freezing so everything was coated). I had to take a screwdriver and gently pry the weather
stripping all around my car door before I was able to get in to drive home from work (yes, I drive
to work, but bring my bike to ride nearby).

They are predicting 5-7 inches of snow for Chicago tonite/tomorrow. I'm hoping they are wrong.

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

Can't speak for other areas hit by the recent snowstorm, however here in Chicago, 3-6 inches fell.
Fortunately the freezing temperatures are not staying and later this week we should see it all go
away with the anticipated 60's by weekend.

In the meantime, I'm going out to ride my MTB with the X-country skiers in the forest preserve.

Ed - loves this type of weather - Gin

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

> Does anyone mind if I vent and have a tantrum? In montreal we're expecting a *&*&^*(&^&*
> snowstorm. It's been the longest coldest winter (last winter was a fluke, mild and snowless but
> we had a **** SPRING!). I got knocked off my bike by a car in october which pretty much ended
> my season.
>
> Now after freezing since october (it got really cold early) and sub-zero temps all winter, it
> refuses to END! NOw we're getting snow! I'm so SICK of this and I want to get out on my bike
> without freezing to death. WAAAA! stomp yell rant pout!
>
> It actually was nice a couple of weeks ago, but I was too busy to ride, then I got sick and
> then the weather was **** again. WAAAA! Now instead of getting out on my bike I'll be shoveling
> the walk!
>
> Okay, it's not unusual to get snow here this time of year but I'm sick of it anyways! ANd I am
> sure plenty of other people are getting horrible weather, this storm is coming from the midwest so
> it must be pretty bad there too.
>
> Let's all rant about this endless miserable winter! WAAAA!
>
> Pant pant, now I feel a bit better. Well, it's off to spinning class.

In article <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

> Marlene Blanshay wrote:
>

> > Thanks, at least you didn't tell me about how nice the weather is out there.
> >
> > When I was a kid my father travelled a lot for his business, and in march he'd usually be out
> > west in BC. When he called he'd tell us how the tulips were out and the temp was about 60
> > degrees, and we'd be here in the snow and sleet, my sister or I would be sick with something or
> > other, and we'd be yeah, thanks a lot dad!
>
> That was pretty mean of him! I won't tell you what an awesome day it
was today.
> No need to bore you with tales about the flocks of swans and geese ready
for the
> last great leap north or those pesky bald eagles sitting high in the
cottonwoods
> watching for an unwary steelhead or salmon as I zipped by riding a 20+ km tailwind. ;-) Best
> regards, Bernie

Ya fink. Where are you anyways?

In article <[email protected]>, Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Can't speak for other areas hit by the recent snowstorm, however here in Chicago, 3-6 inches fell.
> Fortunately the freezing temperatures are not staying and later this week we should see it all go
> away with the anticipated 60's by weekend.
>
> In the meantime, I'm going out to ride my MTB with the X-country skiers in the forest preserve.
>
> Ed - loves this type of weather - Gin
>
> Marlene Blanshay wrote:

Well, the snow we got ended up not being much at all, so instead of ten inches we got about 3,
and by the end of the week it'll be gone as temps hit 11C (abou5 50). It's still on the cold side
but sunny.

"Chicago Paddling-Fishing" < wrote in message >>

> They are predicting 5-7 inches of snow for Chicago tonite/tomorrow. I'm hoping they are wrong.
>
> --
> John Nelson
---
> Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
> http://www.chicagopaddling.org http://www.chicagofishing.org
> (A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and Nothing to Sell)
I want to thank you for the paddling and fishng links, though I may never get there, the imagination
works good, maybe one day. Thanks . Len