Snowy/Icy Roads: MTB vs Road bike

winterwolf

Jun 6, 2013
What are your opinions? Would a mountain bike make more sense in the winter than a road bike if you are riding on the road?

In general, a MTB will be able to run larger tires at lower pressures and will be better for traction. The trade off is that they will be considerably slower. My commute is about 20 miles one way and MTB tires add a lot of ride time.

In past winters, I used my road bike with 28c tires without issue. This year I used a cross-bike with 38c tires and disc brakes. I can ride through 3" of fresh snow with no-issues. The problems come after traffic has its way and compacts the snow and turns it to slush. If conditions are really icy, studded tires are a good option.

Brakes are another consideration. Disc brakes work much better than rim brakes in the snow. Rim brakes often jam full of snow and Ice becoming worthless.

Originally Posted by winterwolf .

What are your opinions? Would a mountain bike make more sense in the winter than a road bike if you are riding on the road?
A MTB might give you more grip, though on ice both will be quite dangerous.

Originally Posted by ambal .

A MTB might give you more grip, though on ice both will be quite dangerous.
Agreed, if you'll ride much on icy roads get some good studded snow tires like the Schwalbe Marathon Winters but they won't fit into most road frames and forks so run them on a high tire clearance frame like a cyclocross or MTB frame.

-Dave