Snowy ridge walk

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Alan M, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Alan M

    Alan M Guest

    Hi, Heading up north from Ayrshire this weekend with the boys (13,15,37 and me just the right side
    of 40??) Any recs for a good straight fwd ridge walk with some SNOW, We planned to go skiing but
    not looking good so just trying to keep the kids happy by getting out the walking boots instead.
    Cheers Alan

    Tags:

  2. Kro

    Kro Guest

    "Alan M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, Heading up north from Ayrshire this weekend with the boys (13,15,37 and me just the right side
    > of 40??)

    Your boy is 37 and you're the "right side" of 40? I've got something to look forward to then :)

    > Any recs for a good straight fwd ridge walk with some SNOW, We planned to go skiing but not
    > looking good so just trying to keep the kids happy by getting out the walking boots instead.
    > Cheers Alan

    I'm back from Ullapool (Bein Dearg and chums) and although there's quite a bit of patchy snow, there
    didn't appear to be much full covering anywhere. I managed to get a good look at the hills from the
    Fannaichs via Inverness by car through Drumochter and all the hills looked the same. I think asking
    for a ridge walk is narrowing (pun not intended) it down to such an extent you may have a hard job.
    I haven't looked at the weather for this weekend, so don't know whether you can expect another fall
    of snow prior to then.

    KRO Fellow countyman (sp correct!)

  3. On 11 Feb 2004 11:43:20 -0800, [email protected] (Alan M) wrote:

    >Hi, Heading up north from Ayrshire this weekend with the boys (13,15,37 and me just the right side
    >of 40??) Any recs for a good straight fwd ridge walk with some SNOW, We planned to go skiing but
    >not looking good so just trying to keep the kids happy by getting out the walking boots instead.
    >Cheers Alan

    Can I be boring and ask if you have any winter gear? There's very few Scottish ridges I would
    recommend anybody to walk without at least an ice-axe, and usually crampons as well.

    Paul Leigh Lancs

  4. Alan M

    Alan M Guest

    "KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Alan M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi, Heading up north from Ayrshire this weekend with the boys (13,15,37 and me just the right
    > > side of 40??)
    >
    > Your boy is 37 and you're the "right side" of 40? I've got something to look forward to then :)
    >
    > > Any recs for a good straight fwd ridge walk with some SNOW, We planned to go skiing but not
    > > looking good so just trying to keep the kids happy by getting out the walking boots instead.
    > > Cheers Alan
    >
    > I'm back from Ullapool (Bein Dearg and chums) and although there's quite a bit of patchy snow,
    > there didn't appear to be much full covering anywhere. I managed to get a good look at the hills
    > from the Fannaichs via Inverness by car through Drumochter and all the hills looked the same. I
    > think asking for a ridge walk is narrowing (pun not intended) it down to such an extent you may
    > have a hard job. I haven't looked at the weather for this weekend, so don't know whether you can
    > expect another fall of snow prior to then.
    >
    > KRO Fellow countyman (sp correct!)

    OK the 37 boy is the brother.....cutting about kilwinning with the T shirt today so forget the snow
    or even hills ...perhaps just a good walk in / out of somewhere special with a good pint @ the end.

  5. Kro

    Kro Guest

    "Alan M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK the 37 boy is the brother.....cutting about kilwinning with the T shirt today

    It's raining just to the south of you, is that a Goretex T-shirt?

    > so forget the snow or even hills ...perhaps just a good walk in / out of somewhere special with a
    > good pint @ the end.

    If its a good walk with a pint you're after, I'd jump on the CalMac and nip over to Arran, up
    Goatfell and pints all the way home!

    KRO

  6. On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:56:11 +0000, Paul Richardson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can I be boring and ask if you have any winter gear? There's very few Scottish ridges I would
    >recommend anybody to walk without at least an ice-axe, and usually crampons as well.

    Unless the ridge is in summer condition, like most of them at the moment :-(