So, a new bike it is then.

Andy Hewitt

Guest
Thanks to all that advised on the upgrading of my old Townsend mountain
bike.

I finally decided that upgrading it wasn't really an option anymore. The
cost to do it was really not worth it, besides not really wanting to
bend the frame to fit new gears. I think I'll just **** it up a little
and strip it down to a bare off roader again, and just use it for those
'have a bit of fun' days.

Obviously with cost being a big issue for me, I had to work to a budget,
and after a couple of visits to the little bike shops I quickly realised
I couldn't afford most of what they had there.

So, a trip back to Halfords, having been pretty pleased with the Apollo
I got for Emily a few weeks ago, it seemed worth a look.

Of course my choice get limited at the budget end with deciding to go
for a hybrid. However, Halfords had a couple fo choices there for me, a
Raleigh at £112, and another Apollo at £129.

I looked at the Raleigh first, but it had shock forks, which I have
reservations about (especially at that price range), and it also had the
lowest level Shimanos on it. It had a good sized frame, but I didn't
find a comfy fit for me, despite being 6'1". The brake levers were also
plastic, which deflected when operated. obviously a true £112 bike. So a
no no on that then.

I next tried the Apollo, again a hybrid, but this one is reduced from
just under £200. I have to say, for another £15 or so it's so much
better. This one comes with better Shimano changers (Tourer), a Shimano
touring gear set, and Suntour cranks and chains rings. It is also fitted
with what look like a pair of reasonable 700c rims as well.

Most of what this has fitted is about what I would have bought for the
old bike, and at much the same cost. So really I have to look at this as
somewhat of a bargain.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:23:12 +0100, [email protected] (Andy
Hewitt) wrote:

>Most of what this has fitted is about what I would have bought for the
>old bike, and at much the same cost. So really I have to look at this as
>somewhat of a bargain

This looks remarkably like shopping-logic.

[Not Responding] <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:23:12 +0100, [email protected] (Andy
> Hewitt) wrote:
>
> >Most of what this has fitted is about what I would have bought for the
> >old bike, and at much the same cost. So really I have to look at this as
> >somewhat of a bargain

> This looks remarkably like shopping-logic.

Well yes, it's often the way I shop.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
http://www.thehewitts.plus.com - now online

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:14:48 +0100, "[Not Responding]"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>>Most of what this has fitted is about what I would have bought for the
>>old bike, and at much the same cost. So really I have to look at this as
>>somewhat of a bargain

>This looks remarkably like shopping-logic.

Heh! Is that like bistromathics?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk