So, a new bike it is then.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy Hewitt, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Andy Hewitt

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Thanks to all that advised on the upgrading of my old Townsend mountain
    bike.

    I finally decided that upgrading it wasn't really an option anymore. The
    cost to do it was really not worth it, besides not really wanting to
    bend the frame to fit new gears. I think I'll just tart it up a little
    and strip it down to a bare off roader again, and just use it for those
    'have a bit of fun' days.

    Obviously with cost being a big issue for me, I had to work to a budget,
    and after a couple of visits to the little bike shops I quickly realised
    I couldn't afford most of what they had there.

    So, a trip back to Halfords, having been pretty pleased with the Apollo
    I got for Emily a few weeks ago, it seemed worth a look.

    Of course my choice get limited at the budget end with deciding to go
    for a hybrid. However, Halfords had a couple fo choices there for me, a
    Raleigh at £112, and another Apollo at £129.

    I looked at the Raleigh first, but it had shock forks, which I have
    reservations about (especially at that price range), and it also had the
    lowest level Shimanos on it. It had a good sized frame, but I didn't
    find a comfy fit for me, despite being 6'1". The brake levers were also
    plastic, which deflected when operated. obviously a true £112 bike. So a
    no no on that then.

    I next tried the Apollo, again a hybrid, but this one is reduced from
    just under £200. I have to say, for another £15 or so it's so much
    better. This one comes with better Shimano changers (Tourer), a Shimano
    touring gear set, and Suntour cranks and chains rings. It is also fitted
    with what look like a pair of reasonable 700c rims as well.

    Most of what this has fitted is about what I would have bought for the
    old bike, and at much the same cost. So really I have to look at this as
    somewhat of a bargain.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
    Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:23:12 +0100, [email protected] (Andy
    Hewitt) wrote:

    >Most of what this has fitted is about what I would have bought for the
    >old bike, and at much the same cost. So really I have to look at this as
    >somewhat of a bargain

    This looks remarkably like shopping-logic.

  3. Andy Hewitt

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    [Not Responding] <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:23:12 +0100, [email protected] (Andy
    > Hewitt) wrote:
    >
    > >Most of what this has fitted is about what I would have bought for the
    > >old bike, and at much the same cost. So really I have to look at this as
    > >somewhat of a bargain

    > This looks remarkably like shopping-logic.

    Well yes, it's often the way I shop.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
    Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
    http://www.thehewitts.plus.com - now online

  4. On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:14:48 +0100, "[Not Responding]"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >>Most of what this has fitted is about what I would have bought for the
    >>old bike, and at much the same cost. So really I have to look at this as
    >>somewhat of a bargain

    >This looks remarkably like shopping-logic.

    Heh! Is that like bistromathics?

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk