So anyone here ride track?

G

Hey everyone, well im keen on getting involved in track, will hopefully be training with Lionel Fox at the Tempe/canterbury velodrome in sydney...
who here does track?

I have got into it in Brisbane and am looking to the Asia Pacific Masters in September. Thanks for the advice on the frames. 8) 8) 8)

Hi,

I have been riding Track for the last few seasons, I compete in the Local Track League (70 mile round trip).

In the UK we have a problem with the number of Tracks that have been lost or are in poor condition.

I live in Coventry and have seen 3 of the 4 Tracks in my area (Coventry, Leicester and Birmingham) have been closed over recent years! So if you have a Track near you use it before its too late!

Hi, I have been riding Track for the last few seasons, I compete in the Local Track League (70 mile round trip). In the UK we have a problem with the number of Tracks that have been lost or are in poor condition.

I live in Coventry and have seen 3 of the 4 Tracks in my area (Coventry, Leicester and Birmingham) have been closed over recent years! So if you have a Track near you use it before its too late!

That's really sound advice. In Queensland there is a definate push to bring tracks back to life with an injection of funds. Thats mainly because of a guy called James Victor who has had a passion for track cycling for years.

A track I know which was built around World War 2 has had a total face lift. Looks a million dollars!

In at least one place in Queensland the local council wanted to bulldoze. Cyclists came to the rescue and the track lives on. Its a bit rough but its better than nothing. 8) 8)

Hi I'm new here I ride track at halesowen the same track as sportsarchive (he's my dad) I am 12 years of age and currently ride a fixed in the U12 group. The people that run the Younger groups are really good people they encourage you run track training sessions and bribe you with mars bars to race ;D

Welcome aboard Dimboy2!  Mate if I was twelve and had my time over again I'd be doing track and eating Mars bars too.  Keep on do'in it.  8) 8)

Hay board,

I ride Manchester Velodrome, the fastest track in the World!

The situation is looking up in the UK, Wolverhampton is open again and Wales is getting its own Manchester spec Velodrome.

See you at the C. Games (Manchester 2002).

Well ive recently found out i can tag along at wednesday night training and friday night winter racing at the Dunc Gray Olympic Velodrome at Bass hill in sydney under Lionel Cox and Brad Cox so im thinking i will go down and give it a go, im bloody nervous tho, dont know the first hting abouut track/rules or anything!!

Ness we all had to start somewhere. Some of us can only dream of getting on the DGV. 8) 8)

I can just see myself getting lapped for the 3rd time and coming last very very last..! hehe
i am mostly nervous because i dont know the rules /regulations for the races, and cant contemplate riding without brakes!lol any tips??? ::)

Manchester Velodrome run taster, induction and skills sessions to help people get into racing. They also run days that teach racing skills.

Anything like that where you are ness?

I have rode the manchester velodrome it is scary at the top  :eek:

(well for a 12 yr old anwyay  ;D)

hi 2lap,
i think there are development sessions that Lionel runs, i guess I will just have to bite the bullet and join in..im dead keen so i think once im over the initial fear i will have a ball...!
ness

Agreed - Manchester Veodrome is FAST - the wood is flat and fast not like Hector Norris (in Johannesburg, South Africa). You need a mountain bike for that track.

I've been keen on starting track again for a few years but in SA you have to start in D category and then work your way up to A. The problem is that D cat stands for destruction, damage, destroy etc. The guys are clueless and bail left, right and centre...not my idea of a fun weekend. Still got the scars on my left hand where the pins were inserted and removed...

We have the same issues here in Australia. You'll get a couple of riders "riding for a sheep station" who through their winner takes all approach bring down other riders. Many a good frame has been lost through those antics.

Like elsewhere tracks are all different. Longer/shorter straights. Steep/shallow banks. Fast/slow.

Setting the bike up for each circumstance is part of the learning curve. That's why its good to sit back, listen and observe. 8) 8)

You guys can stop scaring me any time you're ready.. :'( :-/

You guys can stop scaring me any time you're ready.. :'( :-/

I have the utmost confidence that you'll get all the support you need. Thats what makes it such a buzz. 8) 8)

Ness - the thrill is worth it!

Some track bits I enjoy:
- coming off the banking into the final straight and accelerating like a rocket ship.
- going through the turn at 50kph+ on a 250m track and feeling the g's
- the simplicity of a bike - no cables, chains derraileurs etc
- no potholes, cars, weather changes