So buy a bike!

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm

The title to this thread is exactly what Vernon said this morning as we watched the item on the
breakfast news :)

Cheers, helen s

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm
>>

> The title to this thread is exactly what Vernon said this morning as we watched the item on the
> breakfast news :)

But reasonable bikes for a four person family plus the kit are easily as much as a second hand small
car. According to CTC bike running costs are about 12p/mi which, for the average passenger load in
our car, works out not a lot cheaper (in fact much more as a family). And then you have to add all
the extra costs of longer travel, taxis and deliveries.

Tony

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:14:18 -0000, "nobody760"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm

I don't understand how housing and energy can account for only £36.90? What the hell can you rent,
or pay a mortgage on, and heat and power etc for 30 odd quid a week?
--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the bastards'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

Call me Bob wrote:

> I don't understand how housing and energy can account for only £36.90? What the hell can you rent,
> or pay a mortgage on, and heat and power etc for 30 odd quid a week?

IIRC mortgages were specifically excluded (and probably rent too). Otherwise their "Most Average
House In Britain" would assuredly /not/ have been in Kingston-Upon-Thames...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> nobody760 wrote:
>
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm
> >

> If we really spent the amount they said an average family does, adding on the mortgage we'd have
> -£900 left at the end of each month. Hmmm.

PM me your address and I'll even send you an envelope to post the dosh back to me in.

John B

In news:[email protected],
JohnB <[email protected]> typed:
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>>
>> nobody760 wrote:
>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm
>>>

>> If we really spent the amount they said an average family does, adding on the mortgage we'd have
>> -£900 left at the end of each month. Hmmm.
>
> PM me your address and I'll even send you an envelope to post the dosh back to me in.

I'll post you -£900 a month if you want to. Should make my life quite a lot easier. I can sort out a
debit card account if you don't want the hassle of me sending you negative money. :)

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> writes:

> dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
> >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm
> >
> > The title to this thread is exactly what Vernon said this morning as we watched the item on the
> > breakfast news :)
>
> But reasonable bikes for a four person family plus the kit are easily as much as a second hand
> small car. According to CTC bike running costs are about 12p/mi which, for the average passenger
> load in our car, works out not a lot cheaper (in fact much more as a family). And then you have to
> add all the extra costs of longer travel, taxis and deliveries.

And, as a matter of interest, what proportion of the cars you see on the average day have more than
one occupant?

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ ;; If God does not write LISP,
God writes some code so similar to ;; LISP as to make no difference.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> But reasonable bikes for a four person family plus the kit are easily as much as a second hand
>> small car. According to CTC bike running costs are about 12p/mi which, for the average passenger
>> load in our car, works out not a lot cheaper (in fact much more as a family). And then you have
>> to add all the extra costs of longer travel, taxis and deliveries.
>
> And, as a matter of interest, what proportion of the cars you see on the average day have more
> than one occupant?

Quite a few, but I said "our car", not anybody else's car

Tony

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in news:c15iov$l16$2
@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

> If we really spent the amount they said an average family does, adding on the mortgage we'd have
> -œ900 left at the end of each month. Hmmm.

That just means you're far from average. How dare you not conform!

:eek:)

Graeme

Graeme wrote:
> Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in news:c15iov$l16$2 @news7.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
>> If we really spent the amount they said an average family does, adding on the mortgage we'd have
>> -o900 left at the end of each month. Hmmm.
>>

> That just means you're far from average. How dare you not conform!

Or probably very average given the average adult personal debt in the UK is £4,500

Tony

In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven wrote:
>dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm
>>
>> The title to this thread is exactly what Vernon said this morning as we watched the item on the
>> breakfast news :)
>
>But reasonable bikes for a four person family plus the kit are easily as much as a second hand
>small car.

You can buy a car for a few hundred pounds, but by the time you've taxed and insured and MOTed it
for a few years the actual purchase cost is a relatively small part of the costs. Of course you can
only avoid those costs if the bikes let you not have a car at all, which doesn't work for everyone.

Alan Braggins wrote:

> You can buy a car for a few hundred pounds, but by the time you've taxed and insured and MOTed it
> for a few years the actual purchase cost is a relatively small part of the costs. Of course you
> can only avoid those costs if the bikes let you not have a car at all, which doesn't work for
> everyone.

Similar arguements for a bike. Relative to the cost of lights, clothing. locks, wear and tear etc
you can buy a bike fairly cheaply. IIRC the CTC figure of 12p/mi running costs had a very small
capital outlay element

Tony

In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven wrote:
>Alan Braggins wrote:
>>
>> You can buy a car for a few hundred pounds, but by the time you've taxed and insured and MOTed it
>> for a few years the actual purchase cost is a relatively small part of the costs. Of course you
>> can only avoid those costs if the bikes let you not have a car at all, which doesn't work for
>> everyone.
>
>Similar arguements for a bike. Relative to the cost of lights, clothing. locks, wear and tear etc
>you can buy a bike fairly cheaply.

Lights, locks, and to some extent clothing, are things that last for years once purchased, so are
not at all similar to tax, insurance, and MOT. Wear and tear has to be paid for on both. Cars
also use fuel.

On 23 Feb 2004 13:14:53 +0000 (GMT), [email protected] (Alan
Braggins) wrote:

>>> The title to this thread is exactly what Vernon said this morning as we watched the item on the
>>> breakfast news :)
>>
>>But reasonable bikes for a four person family plus the kit are easily as much as a second hand
>>small car.
>
>You can buy a car for a few hundred pounds, but by the time you've taxed and insured and MOTed it
>for a few years the actual purchase cost is a relatively small part of the costs. Of course you can
>only avoid those costs if the bikes let you not have a car at all, which doesn't work for everyone.

Or lets you have one less car in the household, which is quite realistic for most families.