So buy a bike!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Nobody760, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm

    The title to this thread is exactly what Vernon said this morning as we watched the item on the
    breakfast news :)

    Cheers, helen s

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm
    >>

    > The title to this thread is exactly what Vernon said this morning as we watched the item on the
    > breakfast news :)

    But reasonable bikes for a four person family plus the kit are easily as much as a second hand small
    car. According to CTC bike running costs are about 12p/mi which, for the average passenger load in
    our car, works out not a lot cheaper (in fact much more as a family). And then you have to add all
    the extra costs of longer travel, taxis and deliveries.

    Tony

  3. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:14:18 -0000, "nobody760"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm

    I don't understand how housing and energy can account for only £36.90? What the hell can you rent,
    or pay a mortgage on, and heat and power etc for 30 odd quid a week?
    --

    "Bob"

    'The people have spoken, the bastards'

    Email address is spam trapped.
    To reply directly remove the beverage.

  4. Call me Bob wrote:

    > I don't understand how housing and energy can account for only £36.90? What the hell can you rent,
    > or pay a mortgage on, and heat and power etc for 30 odd quid a week?

    IIRC mortgages were specifically excluded (and probably rent too). Otherwise their "Most Average
    House In Britain" would assuredly /not/ have been in Kingston-Upon-Thames...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > nobody760 wrote:
    >
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm
    > >

    > If we really spent the amount they said an average family does, adding on the mortgage we'd have
    > -£900 left at the end of each month. Hmmm.

    PM me your address and I'll even send you an envelope to post the dosh back to me in.

    John B

  6. In news:[email protected],
    JohnB <[email protected]> typed:
    > Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    >>
    >> nobody760 wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm
    >>>

    >> If we really spent the amount they said an average family does, adding on the mortgage we'd have
    >> -£900 left at the end of each month. Hmmm.
    >
    > PM me your address and I'll even send you an envelope to post the dosh back to me in.

    I'll post you -£900 a month if you want to. Should make my life quite a lot easier. I can sort out a
    debit card account if you don't want the hassle of me sending you negative money. :)

  7. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]family.com> writes:

    > dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    > >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm
    > >
    > > The title to this thread is exactly what Vernon said this morning as we watched the item on the
    > > breakfast news :)
    >
    > But reasonable bikes for a four person family plus the kit are easily as much as a second hand
    > small car. According to CTC bike running costs are about 12p/mi which, for the average passenger
    > load in our car, works out not a lot cheaper (in fact much more as a family). And then you have to
    > add all the extra costs of longer travel, taxis and deliveries.

    And, as a matter of interest, what proportion of the cars you see on the average day have more than
    one occupant?

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ ;; If God does not write LISP,
    God writes some code so similar to ;; LISP as to make no difference.

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> But reasonable bikes for a four person family plus the kit are easily as much as a second hand
    >> small car. According to CTC bike running costs are about 12p/mi which, for the average passenger
    >> load in our car, works out not a lot cheaper (in fact much more as a family). And then you have
    >> to add all the extra costs of longer travel, taxis and deliveries.
    >
    > And, as a matter of interest, what proportion of the cars you see on the average day have more
    > than one occupant?

    Quite a few, but I said "our car", not anybody else's car

    Tony

  9. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in news:c15iov$l16$2
    @news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > If we really spent the amount they said an average family does, adding on the mortgage we'd have
    > -œ900 left at the end of each month. Hmmm.

    That just means you're far from average. How dare you not conform!

    :eek:)

    Graeme

  10. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Graeme wrote:
    > Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in news:c15iov$l16$2 @news7.svr.pol.co.uk:
    >
    >> If we really spent the amount they said an average family does, adding on the mortgage we'd have
    >> -o900 left at the end of each month. Hmmm.
    >>

    > That just means you're far from average. How dare you not conform!

    Or probably very average given the average adult personal debt in the UK is £4,500

    Tony

  11. In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven wrote:
    >dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3505193.stm
    >>
    >> The title to this thread is exactly what Vernon said this morning as we watched the item on the
    >> breakfast news :)
    >
    >But reasonable bikes for a four person family plus the kit are easily as much as a second hand
    >small car.

    You can buy a car for a few hundred pounds, but by the time you've taxed and insured and MOTed it
    for a few years the actual purchase cost is a relatively small part of the costs. Of course you can
    only avoid those costs if the bikes let you not have a car at all, which doesn't work for everyone.

  12. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Alan Braggins wrote:

    > You can buy a car for a few hundred pounds, but by the time you've taxed and insured and MOTed it
    > for a few years the actual purchase cost is a relatively small part of the costs. Of course you
    > can only avoid those costs if the bikes let you not have a car at all, which doesn't work for
    > everyone.

    Similar arguements for a bike. Relative to the cost of lights, clothing. locks, wear and tear etc
    you can buy a bike fairly cheaply. IIRC the CTC figure of 12p/mi running costs had a very small
    capital outlay element

    Tony

  13. In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven wrote:
    >Alan Braggins wrote:
    >>
    >> You can buy a car for a few hundred pounds, but by the time you've taxed and insured and MOTed it
    >> for a few years the actual purchase cost is a relatively small part of the costs. Of course you
    >> can only avoid those costs if the bikes let you not have a car at all, which doesn't work for
    >> everyone.
    >
    >Similar arguements for a bike. Relative to the cost of lights, clothing. locks, wear and tear etc
    >you can buy a bike fairly cheaply.

    Lights, locks, and to some extent clothing, are things that last for years once purchased, so are
    not at all similar to tax, insurance, and MOT. Wear and tear has to be paid for on both. Cars
    also use fuel.

  14. On 23 Feb 2004 13:14:53 +0000 (GMT), [email protected] (Alan
    Braggins) wrote:

    >>> The title to this thread is exactly what Vernon said this morning as we watched the item on the
    >>> breakfast news :)
    >>
    >>But reasonable bikes for a four person family plus the kit are easily as much as a second hand
    >>small car.
    >
    >You can buy a car for a few hundred pounds, but by the time you've taxed and insured and MOTed it
    >for a few years the actual purchase cost is a relatively small part of the costs. Of course you can
    >only avoid those costs if the bikes let you not have a car at all, which doesn't work for everyone.

    Or lets you have one less car in the household, which is quite realistic for most families.