So called "human mentality traits"

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Makoto Taniguch, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. People can easily say that it's due to the fact that
    our lifestyle is different from all other animals but
    when it comes to domesticated pets like cats and dogs,
    is it possible for them to have a similar mental traits
    like humans?

    Tags:

  2. Glowell

    Glowell Guest

    Makoto Taniguchi wrote:

    > People can easily say that it's due to the fact that
    > our lifestyle is different from all other animals but
    > when it comes to domesticated pets like cats and dogs,
    > is it possible for them to have a similar mental traits
    > like humans?

    i like that conjecture. i was rabbit hunting with a
    border collie about 30 years ago. i was on a small
    ridge above where the dog was working which was a
    gully that opened into fairly even but brushy
    country. he bounced a jackrabbit which took off out
    of the gully and away from the ridge i was on. due
    the brush down below i could see the rabbit and the
    dog though they could not see each other. the rabbit
    ran in a large arc for about 75-100 yards while the
    dog cut across the arc to head it off. even though
    they were out of sight of each other between 5-10
    seconds and separated at one point by nearly the
    length of a football field, the dog's interception
    course was really something to see and i truly
    thought he would catch the rabbit. shortly before
    the interception the rabbit just stopped running and
    froze and the dog ran through the point where they
    would have met and then stopped, doubled back
    yelping a couple of times. he began working the area
    there but never did bounce the bunny again -- it
    moved off while i was watching the dog and i lost
    track of it also. the point is that the dog had had
    a very clear picture in it's head of what was going
    to happen and just where and when that would occur
    and he was very loathe to give it up. he spent a
    good several minutes casting about but returning
    always to that point where it had looked to me also
    that they would have met. usually i'd just have to
    make a noise to get his attention and point and he'd
    get the idea but he was so sure of his figuring that
    he ignored me when i tried before i lost the rabbit
    myself. so yes i think some dogs at least can share
    other than social traits with us, if a stubborn
    loyalty to one's assumptions qualifies as a mental
    trait normally considered belonging to humans.

    "The tendencies of democracies are, in all things, to medio-
    crity, since the tastes, knowledge, and principles of the
    majority form the tribunal of appeal."
    -- James Fenimore Cooper