So, cmon 'Classic-rs', pony up...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    tell us your stories: jazmo, 'Soiler, cfsmtb and y'all...

    Tags:

  2. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Me first! although I didn't *really* do it. Only found out I *wanted* to go Sat nite (friend just wanted someone to share the driving, I intuit) so straight after work put bike on roof of car, drive to Bright, get to c/park at 1am Sun. morn (!) sleep on tiny thermarest (3hrs max) . Roll up to start @ 7am (no reg., no brevet card :blush:) ride out with bunch, suffer like a dog up Tawonga Gap pedalling squares all the way, turn left after the descent (which I didn't enjoy, weighing up options - back up, go to Falls, flag down a lift?) resolving to head to Running Ck. Rd, which is a nice little climb 30 ks down the Kiewa Valley Hwy towards Wodonga. 30kms north, turn left, suffer less than I would have climbing back up The Gap, past old g.fr's house @ Kancoona (sad memories - seems to be a thing with me at the mo) over the top (that really is a nice climb) back towards Ovens, then Bright. Creeping down the Ovens Valley Hwy, I stopped at the old Eurobin station for some water (now toilets/shelter and rainwater tank on the railtrail) and have a sleep on the picnic table. Got chatting to some tootlers who were going back to Bright on the railtrail, gee, there's a lot of cyclists around! Get back on the road, and stumble into Bright. Lie down under tree and sleep for 2 hrs. Not the finest 'Alpine Classic' ever, but I did 100ks with 2 climbs. Everyone else did it proper, and I feel like a wuss.

    M "party-crasher turned blouse" H

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    ah, the impromptu one sare often the best :)

    is that the stop on the railtrail wher ethey have mounted the bikerack upside down???
    dang engineers, jeesh.

    C'mon peoples, I wanna hear your pain :)

  4. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Well I survived...just lol

    My time was 11hr 20 min.

    The first climb up Tawonga felt alright, tough going up Falls, then I started to fall apart on the second climb up Tawonga. That magic spring water coming 3km from the top was a godsend, up until that point was seriously thinking about pulling the pin at Bright (130km), although did start to feel better on the roll from the top of Tawonga. Stopped for about 20min in Bright.
    I was very close to throwing up from about the 145km mark (with still another 20km to get to the top of Buffalo), legs felt alright but my guts were all over the place. Up until then I was on track for 10hrs. Once I knew I wasn't going to get 10hrs, I eased off and just tried to get to the top, no matter how long it took. Had about a 40min stop at the top, just so I could recover and settle the stomach down. That was the worst I have ever felt on the bike, I'm dissapointed I didn't get the time I was after, but happy that I fought it out and completed the ride.

    Butt is sore, and alot leaner, I reckon theres not an once of fat around my hips at the minute, and I've prob lost a little bit of muscle as well..funny to look at really.:rolleyes:

    In hindsight, I don't think I ate enough, and should have taken some gatorate powder with me. This year more hill climbing, and maybe ride in the heat more. It was 31 deg in Bright at 12.00, and didn't get any cooler going up Buffalo, which knocked me about.

    Next year I will get 10hrs!

  5. Bikesoiler

    Bikesoiler New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    A grand day out. I did the 130 this year, first time on the road bike.
    I overdressed but no-one noticed. I didn't need my vest or arm/leg warmers after Mt Beauty. The first climb up to Tawonga Gap was a good warm-up. I settled into a nice rhythm only broken by getting not one but two ride ID stickers caught on my front tyre. :eek:
    Had a banana & refilled my water bottle at the Mt Beauty control, then on(up) to Falls. Found a good pace that didn't hurt too much. I'd remembered most of the landmarks and planned to eat before Howmans Gap & refill the water bottle there. Howmans Gap is the winter toll gate & everytime I'd ridden up to Falls Creek this was the place I'd felt worst. I was pleased that I still felt pretty good at this point. I stopped only long enough to get some water, I didn't want to cool down too much and was looking forward to food & coffee at Falls.
    You can see the resort buildings of Falls Creek from a few km's down the road. This is deceiving in a good way. The chalet's that you see first are actually much further up the hill than the checkpoint. :)
    I quickly lined up to drop my brevet card & grab some food. Mmmm... fruit buns, cake, biscuits, coffee (instant, but it'll have to do) I could be accussed of only riding so I can eat lots. :D
    I did the checkpoint thang, caught up with friends, ate, drank, stretched etc.
    The descent was great in the top section, fast & cooling. You know a hill is long when it takes so long to descend.
    It was hot back in Mt Beauty & I knew the hill would hurt. I had a quick 'comfort stop' & headed up, Towonga was waiting. The climb wasn't too bad when there was either shade or some breeze. The last bit to the spring being the worst. The spring was only a trickle but filled an empty bottle. I didn't stop at the Gap, I wanted some wind chill & rolled straight over the top. A bunch past me just before the Hwy turn off & I hooked on. It was a fast trip back to the outskirts of Bright. I pulled out of the bunch at the 60 km sign, the pace was too much & I didn't want upset anyone.

    Finished in 6 hrs 36 min, beer & wedges followed soon after. Planning for the 200 next year.

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    well done!
    and i bet that beer was one of the nicest you've had for a long time...

  7. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    I went as a support person and had a ball, although it was a little *weird* being on the other side of the bike .... The guys I was cheering for - 5-6 did the 200 and 2 did the 130 (in under 6 hrs too - [email protected]@dy brilliant for 1st timers!!! Go Karan and Marty!!!!) . For the 200kmers, some: it was a final last attempt at achieving a finish (success there), others: it was never ridden 200 km before and only able to train on weekends (another success), or 1st attempt at Classic, lets go for the 200 - seems like a nice number (and more success). We only had one (I think) non finisher who had a bad run with rubber staying full of air - must have been the altitude and heat :p

    It was a truly awesome day - stinking hot (and yup.. some over dress ppl!!! hehehe ) and riders dragging themselves up and down Tawonga (I was at one of the look outs, yelling out "There's icecream at the top !!" heheheh) and yup.. I think I might just have a crack at it next yr (on top of everything else I am having a crack at on the bike heeh)... but the 130 tho. You guys who did the 200km are TRULY TRULY PSYCHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

    There were some complaints about the food available for the 200kmers at Falls (ie not enough!!!) but overall riders were very appreciative of the motorbike marshalls, the volunteers cleaning sunnies on Mt Buffalo, the comraderie of fellow riders, the hosing down on Mt Buffalo and .. the finish line !! :D

    Bright is a truly beautiful spot and a fantastic place to hold an amazing event. Congratulations to all who rode it.

  8. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    I'm writing a "War and Peace" account of my experience.

    Hopefully I'll get it out by this arvo if work isn't too busy.

  9. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Well done essendon93 on not turning around at the 145 km mark and hanging in there. I made sure I ate lots during the ride 'cause of all the stories I've heard of people blowing up going up Mt Buffalo. If you got to Bright at 12:00 then you would've been well on the way to getting below 10 hours I think.

  10. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks Jazmo.
    It should actually read 12.25 in Bright, I left at about 12.45 (6.20 start). With the experience of this years, theres no way Buffalo will claim me like it did next year.

    Another thing I need to work on is my decent, I seem to lack confidence on the corners...maybe when I come out on the BR's in a couple of weeks time the guys can show me some tricks!

    Already thinking of next year :D

  11. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    essendon93 wrote:
    > Another thing I need to work on is my decent, I seem to lack confidence
    > on the corners...maybe when I come out on the BR's in a couple of weeks
    > time the guys can show me some tricks!

    That's definitely one that comes with practice. Admittedly I'm the
    slowest on the downhills (hmm and the uphill and the flat, is there a
    pattern there?) but when I started I thought 55kmh was fast and now I
    get up to 75kmh.

    DaveB

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    you ever ride a motorbike?
    think countersteering...
    push down hard on outside pedal, push INSIDE shoulder forwards ie turn your torso/shoulders OUTWARDS.
    Watch a Superbiker/500cc'er racing (Wayne was the best at climbing all over the bike...). This basic (yet head-messing at first) move gets all your weight leaning in withut the need to actually turn the wheels so much.

    Also making sure you only go into the 'inside' of the corner at the actual apex (which is somewhere AFTER what you can see to begin with...) rather than moving in to go to the inside as soonm as you see the road curving
    (helps to know corners, obviously).
    Try as a first step the moving inside shoulder forwards/down.
    A bit wierd but soon you may find old corners somehow 'dissapear'

    Oh, and BR's can help but e dont do too many windy descents unfortunately.
    Falls Creek is great for big fast sweeping downs and so is the Adelaide Hills :rolleyes:

  13. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    i did the 130 this year having done the 100 last year. I reckoned that the 130 couldn't be harder, only longer - the 200 is harder but maybe 2007 for that one. We did a practice run 3 weeks before: Harrietville to falls & return, a 150 km trip that I did in 6 1/2 hours of riding time but with 2 extended pit stops in the MtBeauty bakery:) That allowed me a late return over Tawonga Gap and a reasonable time.

    AAC day was done at a pretty easy pace, but I was disappointed to get back to MtBeauty at 12:10 as I'd really hoped to be over Tawonga Gap by then. Tawonga Gap on that day was it's own particular type of hell: baking hot, airless, little shade. My carbon soles were transmitting the heat straight through to my feet and I just wilted. I'm sure that I got heatstroke. I had to stop for 20 minutes and even had to walk my bike for a kilometre, the first time I've walked a bike even 1 metre in 15 years! It took me 2 hours to get that 8 kms to the top:-(

    The spring was as welcome as ever and revived me somewhat and I powered back to Bright in a rather disappointing 8:11. Highlights were not being passed by a single rider on any of the 4 descents, although after last year I was a little anxious about wallabies.

    Lessons for next year: work on aerobic fitness, lose weight, improve strength, in other words - everything:)

    I tried a 3L camelback type thingey this year after sneering at them for years: it allowed me shorter stops and I was better hydrated although I still should have drunk more fluid. It did give me a sore back. I tried Assos chamois creme for the first time, and didn't get a saddle sore for the first time on a long ride in 12 months so I'm pleased.

  14. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 at 08:17 GMT, DaveB (aka Bruce)
    > essendon93 wrote:
    >> Another thing I need to work on is my decent, I seem to lack confidence
    >> on the corners...maybe when I come out on the BR's in a couple of weeks
    >> time the guys can show me some tricks!
    >>

    > That's definitely one that comes with practice. Admittedly I'm the
    > slowest on the downhills (hmm and the uphill and the flat, is there a
    > pattern there?) but when I started I thought 55kmh was fast and now I
    > get up to 75kmh.

    Sun, 30th Jan: temp: 17-27. By the time the BR is over (what time is
    that?), what temp do you expect?

    I'm thinking of joining in. I don't think there is an mbtc ride on I
    want to go to...

    Never trust a man who can count to 1,023 on his fingers.

  15. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    or simpler, just lean the bike inwards and don't think conciously of steering. It should just happen.

    Still remember the 2004 Fitz's Challenge when I forgot this on the first descent.
    Very lucky there was nothing oncoming.

  16. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    "ProfTournesol" wrote...

    <snip>

    > I tried a 3L camelback type thingey this year after sneering at them
    > for years: it allowed me shorter stops and I was better hydrated
    > although I still should have drunk more fluid. It did give me a sore
    > back. I tried Assos chamois creme for the first time, and didn't get a
    > saddle sore for the first time on a long ride in 12 months so I'm
    > pleased.
    >
    > --
    > ProfTournesol

    Don't knock the camelbak, even made an appearance at the Australian Open Road TT. What's that under Nathan O'Neill's jersey.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/jan05/AORC05/?id=AORC053/IMG_4631

    I like to half fill mine the night before and stick it in the freezer, then fill up the rest with cold water just before use. Keeps
    the water icy cold for a long time.

    Parbs

  17. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    I'm not knocking it, I just hadn't expected a sore back from it, but then I shouldn't have waited until 3 days before the AAC to but it leaving no time to try it. I was better hydrated with it. Freezing half of it is a good idea that I may try next year.

  18. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Parbs" <[email protected]
    > Don't knock the camelbak, even made an appearance
    > at the Australian Open Road TT. What's that under Nathan O'Neill's
    > jersey.
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/jan05/AORC05/?id=AORC053/IMG_4631

    Is that even a camelbak? It looks more like an attempt
    to aerofy the rider..??

    I can't see any bidons, but I can't see a drink tube either?

    I think I might have to take that back.. found another
    photo with what I think is a little blue tube sticking
    out near his neck..
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/jan05/AORC05/?id=AORC053/IMG_4723

    Good idea if it is.. looks quite smooth..

    puzzled hippy