So, ghetto hood rats in Baltimore stomped on my front wheel...

Paul Walnuts

Jul 27, 2011
because they couldn't steal my locked-up 2010 Schwinn Sporterra Sport bike (I use the OnGuard Bulldog U-lock/steel cable combo). Anyway, they stomped the front wheel. I got a new one: Stay-Tru 36-spoker. Nice wheel.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, I see that some cycles have all-carbon-fiber wheels that not only have a carbon fiber rim but also carbon fiber "spokes." What I'm wondering is, are those wheels strong enough that some random thug can't stomp them out of shape with his Timberland?

I mean, carbon's supposed to shatter, not bend. Are such all-carbon wheels stomp-proof?

Indeed, and I'd ever park a bike with carbon wheels ($$$$) and then walk away from it.

For a start I would try locking it up in a different place (prefereably an area with high pedestrian traffic). Secondly, a good idea may be to just take the front wheel with you when you lock it up. It is a slight deterent to anyone hoping to nick it and ride away, and (certainly for QR wheels) also prevents someone nicking or damaging the front wheel out of spite.

Originally Posted by Paul Walnuts .

I mean, carbon's supposed to shatter, not bend. Are such all-carbon wheels stomp-proof?
The infamous Cavendish Broken Wheel Photo should answer that one: