So how was it for you?

Susimi

May 24, 2015
How was everyone's Christmas? A good one?

The meaning of Christmas for me is about togetherness but there is the obligatory gift giving, so what did you get? Did you buy yourself something?

I received an ear infection somehow and as a result I was left feeling pretty rubbish throughout the day. I ended up napping and drawing a little, and I have to say I quite enjoyed it :D

Oh sorry for your ear infection, not a great thing to happen at the Christmas day when you are supposed to be around family and not taking naps. But, I am glad that in the end you enjoyed it.
Well, I live in Serbia, and our church follows different calendar; therefore my Christmas is on January 7th, having the day before being a Christmas Eve. We usually have different tradition associated with it - gifts are something that we usually give to each other at midnight between December 31st and January 1st, so for the New Year's celebrations. That means I haven't got mine still. :)

Hope you have a good one on your Christmas :) Do you plan to ride around much on the big day or before/after?

Haha thanks, the ear infection is going now but it's being a pain and not going quickly. Oh well. This is the time of year I'm not really find of because the decorations start to come down and it's kinda nice seeing all the houses lit up with Christmas lights during the evening.

Christmas was weird this year. I rode my bike to a friend's house on Christmas Eve since I live alone. Had a nice dinner there and some wine and rode my bike back. Really weird since I usually don't ride in the winter. Mainly because of the snow :D

Very Nice thank you! Wife wore her jingle bell slippers while my family got together to make tamales. Wife was very happy that day. 2 kinds of tamales, one with red chile, the other jalapeno and hatch chile with cheese.

DSCN1622_zps9i3o6jaw.jpg

SantaHat5_zps2xrlkohr.jpg

DSCN1631_zps0x7eg2as.jpg

DSCN1632_zpsfdpzlolh.jpg

DSCN1635_zps3glu6yr7.jpg

Reactions: Susimi
Very quiet and enjoyable. Did put up some Christmas lights and that puts one in the mood for... tamales? You guys made tamales?!! I haven't had home made tamales in years! We made some about 20 years ago and it was so tiring that we haven't made them again. Where do you live maybe I could ride my bike over to your house and help you dispose of a few.
LOL

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Very quiet and enjoyable. Did put up some Christmas lights and that puts one in the mood for... tamales? You guys made tamales?!! I haven't had home made tamales in years! We made some about 20 years ago and it was so tiring that we haven't made them again. Where do you live maybe I could ride my bike over to your house and help you dispose of a few.
LOL

Inland Empire So California area. Yeah we made about 15 dozen. We do every year. I was forced to make tamales as a kid growing up, it always sucked and took hours and hours. 28 years ago I met my wife and she is a champion tamale maker. She has her own technique. So when we met she was doing 3 to every one of my tamales. I'm talking spreading the masa on the leaves (corn husks).

Since then it has been my mother, my daughter who loves to cook, my wife and I doing all the work. The other bums just show up when all is done and it's time to eat.:mad:

This year I tried this plastic tool thingy I saw on Facebook. It made it faster but still my wife is faster then I am. Maybe 2 to 3. Hopefully I get even better by next year. :D

But the 4 of us can do the job in 3 or 4 hours what used to take us 6 hours with a few worthless helpers. :confused:

I tried this tool this year. I am not this fast but it helped.

Just don't ask me what she's saying! :p

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Inland Empire So California area. Yeah we made about 15 dozen. We do every year. I was forced to make tamales as a kid growing up, it always sucked and took hours and hours. 28 years ago I met my wife and she is a champion tamale maker. She has her own technique. So when we met she was doing 3 to every one of my tamales. I'm talking spreading the masa on the leaves (corn husks).

Since then it has been my mother, my daughter who loves to cook, my wife and I doing all the work. The other bums just show up when all is done and it's time to eat.:mad:

This year I tried this plastic tool thingy I saw on Facebook. It made it faster but still my wife is faster then I am. Maybe 2 to 3. Hopefully I get even better by next year. :D

But the 4 of us can do the job in 3 or 4 hours what used to take us 6 hours with a few worthless helpers. :confused:

I tried this tool this year. I am not this fast but it helped.

Just don't ask me what she's saying! :p

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It'll take a little long to get to your place, I live in AZ. The year my wife and I did the tamales it took us 4 hours to whip up just 2 dozen. So you are faster and yours truly. That tool the lady in the video is using, I may need to find one of those. Almost looks like a paint applicator with the foam removed. I'm sure it isn't. Pretty ingenious.

It'll take a little long to get to your place, I live in AZ. The year my wife and I did the tamales it took us 4 hours to whip up just 2 dozen. So you are faster and yours truly. That tool the lady in the video is using, I may need to find one of those. Almost looks like a paint applicator with the foam removed. I'm sure it isn't. Pretty ingenious.

My mother actually got one of those tools a few years ago when they went on a Texas visit. We tried it but never got it to work. We always spread on a plate so it wasn't till I saw this video on fb this year that I realized she was spreading on a flat sheet. So this year I used it on a flat cookie sheet surface and it worked.

I do see thought that all her leaves are pre cut to size. Looks like she set up for the video. The leaves do not come that size, they are wider so I can see where she did some prep to make it look fast.

My mom and grandma would soak the husks overnight. When we did it we soaked them but only a few hours. Think I'll go to Wal Mart and buy some frozen ones. Ho Humm:rolleyes:

Very Nice thank you! Wife wore her jingle bell slippers while my family got together to make tamales. Wife was very happy that day. 2 kinds of tamales, one with red chile, the other jalapeno and hatch chile with cheese.

DSCN1622_zps9i3o6jaw.jpg

SantaHat5_zps2xrlkohr.jpg

DSCN1631_zps0x7eg2as.jpg

DSCN1632_zpsfdpzlolh.jpg

DSCN1635_zps3glu6yr7.jpg

Love those slippers!

Very much like the winkle picker design :D

My Christmas went fine. I spent quality time with my family and relatives, ate lots of good food and played board games.

My Christmas went fine. I spent quality time with my family and relatives, ate lots of good food and played board games.

The dinner is one of the things I love about Christmas!

I bought myself a turkey joint with stuffing inside it that I did on Boxing Day. I was really pleased with how it turned out and I enjoyed it greatly to the point where I was stuffed myself :D

The dinner is one of the things I love about Christmas!

I bought myself a turkey joint with stuffing inside it that I did on Boxing Day. I was really pleased with how it turned out and I enjoyed it greatly to the point where I was stuffed myself :D

A turkey joint? I've never heard of such a thing. Could you describe it so I can get an idea.:confused:

How was everyone's Christmas? A good one?

The meaning of Christmas for me is about togetherness but there is the obligatory gift giving, so what did you get? Did you buy yourself something?

I received an ear infection somehow and as a result I was left feeling pretty rubbish throughout the day. I ended up napping and drawing a little, and I have to say I quite enjoyed it :D

Meh, it wasn't great. I'm also suffering from an ear infection. It is a fairly severe one at that. Nothing fun out being sick on a holiday.

A turkey joint? I've never heard of such a thing. Could you describe it so I can get an idea.:confused:

I'm not sure how it was done but it was a meaty cut of Turkey with stuffing in the middle of it. The wording might be a little confusing and un-appealing but on the contrary it was very nice. It made a nice dinner and also snacking for the few days after :)

I'm not sure how it was done but it was a meaty cut of Turkey with stuffing in the middle of it. The wording might be a little confusing and un-appealing but on the contrary it was very nice. It made a nice dinner and also snacking for the few days after :)

I think I get it. Say like the breast cut in half and stuffed than cooked. The 'joint' part threw me off.So in other words, stuffed turkey breast. Okay I just made myself hungry. :D

Between PTSD, Depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (My Depression gets worse around Christmas), it usually sucks in a fairly big way. New Years Day was not much better as I live in an area where most holidays are celebrated with gunfire int the air. As a result, I tend to spend most of Decembre hiding in my room. It is January now, and I'm hopeful that things will improve quite a bit in short order. By the end f this month, however, I'm confident that things will be much better. By spring, I also expect to have my winter bike well on the way to being completed.

I think I get it. Say like the breast cut in half and stuffed than cooked. The 'joint' part threw me off.So in other words, stuffed turkey breast. Okay I just made myself hungry. :D

Pretty much that I think haha :)

It said joint on the box and I just went with that. I think they were trying to market it in the same way as a pork joint or something but it tasted great and that's all that matters :D

Gonna try to get one of them again some time.

DSCN1631_zps0x7eg2as.jpg

DSCN1632_zpsfdpzlolh.jpg

DSCN1635_zps3glu6yr7.jpg
I wish I could learn how to cook tamales. I could not find the "masa" though I wonder if there is a good substitute for it. What are those berries beside it? These tamales look lovely