So i bought my first road bike!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rich22, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Rich22

Rich22 New Member

I went to the LBS with the intent of buying a Trek 1000 , Lemond Etape, or a Bianchi Brava.

After getting sized and fitted the LBS brought out a Trek 1200 with much better components and a great price @ 800$ vs the price on the web of 880$.

And it was a brand new bike enver ridden.

Here is the specs:

Frameset Sizes 43, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60cm
    Frame Alpha SL Aluminum
    Fork Bontrager Carbon
    Wheels Wheels Shimano Tiagra hubs; Alex rims
    Tires Bontrager Select, 700x25c
    Drivetrain
    Shifters Shimano Tiagra
    Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra
    Rear Derailleur Shimano 105
    Crankset Bontrager Select 52/42/30
    Cassette SRAM 950 12-26, 9 speed
    Pedals Wellgo clipless road Components
    Saddle Bontrager Race Luxe
    Seatpost Bontrager Carbon
    Handlebars Bontrager Sport, 26.0
    Stem Bontrager Select, 17 degree Headset Aheadset, semi-cartridge, sealed Brakeset Alloy dual pivot w/Tiagra STI levers

What do you guys think?

-Rich

Tags:

2. AmpedCycle

AmpedCycle New Member

I'll bet my 800 dollar specialized allez sport will eat your 800 dollar trek 1200 for lunch... and ask for your little red shoes for dessert!

3. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

@Rich22: If it fits and you like it, then you've done well!

4. dfvcad

dfvcad New Member

Like stated above if it fits then that is good. Some of the components are good entry level and should perform well. Just remember, no specific bike can eat another, dont matter how much dough you just spent unless the person ridding it can out pedal you. As per AmpedCycle comment its all garbage.

5. Alpha

Alpha New Member

Don't listen to Amped. It was a good purchase.
    One word of advice, change the tires. The Bontrager select tires are not up to par. They don't grip the road as well as they should, especially in the rain.

6. Rich22

Rich22 New Member

Thanks guys! Here are the pics!

http://premium1.uploadit.org/cultofthejedi//112_1264.JPG

7. spacelord

spacelord New Member

I bought the same bike about 2 months ago, and I love it. The colours make me think of the song Bat Out Of Hell, by Meat Loaf. Specifically the line, "I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver black phantom bike"

8. Rich22

Rich22 New Member

Hahaa great song, and great bike!

9. LaTrace

LaTrace New Member

Nice! I just recently bought my first road bike too. I'm on a college budget (broke) so I am low on funds. I managed to get my hands on an old Schwinn 754 for a decent price, and I'm super happy about it. Road bikes are a lot of fun. Maybe eventually when I get more serious about riding, (and not worrying about it getting stolen) I'll invest in a better bike. Until then, I am content.

10. maryc

maryc New Member

I just got a new road bike myself last week (an Orbea). :D

Is it normal when you first get a bike to refuse to put it in the garage, and to keep it in the house, preferably the bedroom? Is it okay to stroke your new bike, and talk to it? Has anyone else given their new bike a name? Or is it just me?

11. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

its perfectly normal to sit it beside the TV and when the wife askes, are you watching that? you reply..of course...

yes, i always used to keep my new bikes in the house but i havent bought a new bike for a couple of years...they are in the garden shed now...under a BIG lock and key.

Hows the Orbea? was thinking of getting one myself...

12. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Marrianne would like me to tell you that she prefers the livingroom to the garage. She was a trooper about it at first, but once she got hooked on Desperate Housewives, I could see a genuine droop in her faceplate when I suggested it was time to go back to her bed--even after I moved a mini-TV next to the workbench.

She's had a few accidents, dripping fluids on the tile floor and what not, but generally, the house is a brighter place with her frolicking around the kitchen and bedrooms. She has the run of the place. She's so cute!

13. Briguy

Briguy New Member

My Trek 2100 sets in the house. It is never going to see the garage because my kids come in a out and I do not want to see it get stolen. Congrats on your first road bike purchase!

14. maryc

maryc New Member

It's spanking gorgeous - although I only have a very elderly Claud Butler tourer to compare it to, so my opinion probably isn't worth much.

Do you think it's going too far to actually take the bike INTO bed with you? It's just that Sergio (had to go with the Spanish name) looks so lonely....*sighs*

15. RC2

RC2 New Member

Into bed, no. Chainring marks too hard to get out of the sheets. You'll have to enjoy Serg' on the kitchen floor. ;) Remember to put an old towel under him to catch any stray lubricants.

16. maryc

maryc New Member

ROFLMAO! You sound like you've done this before! :D

17. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

youre just making up excuses now...i bet Sergio reminds you of a young Basque waiter you once met on holiday...

nah, never taken my bike to bed but i have slept with it...in a small one man survival tent on the isle of skye, the chances of it getting stolen while i slept were a billion to one...i just felt sorry for it because it was raining outside...

18. maryc

maryc New Member

Ah, would that it were true!

Unfortunately, when I was a teenager, and all my friends were falling for Sergios in the Basque country, I was being taken on rainy carivaning holidays in Scotland by my munro-bagging parents. Ed, the pasty camp site shop owners' son, just wasn't quite the same prospect as a tanned spanish waiter!

19. utx2003

utx2003 New Member

Hey guys, new poster here. I just bought my first bike yesterday. I have ridden before but never owned my own bike. I have been using my brothers while he is deployed to Kuwait. Anyway, I am very excited about it. I bought a Motobecane Mirage Pro, I figure this is a good entry level bike and I can upgrade after a year or two.

20. RC2

RC2 New Member

Actually no... I make my wife jealous by staring at it in the living room from the sofa. She wouldn't let me bring it into the bedroom. :(