so i tried energy gel

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Cycler6n, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

i bought some of that energy gel, tried it out on a ride. It helped a little, but nothing great. It wasn't really a long or tuff ride, so i can't really judge it. Has anyone else had any experience with it? How'd it work?

Tags:
    haleylx4 likes this.

2. RedRider2009

RedRider2009 New Member

First of all I used a clif shot...which tasted awful...and it didnt seem to help much, eating a normal clif bar seems to work best for me...cool mint chocolate is really tasty...lots of the bars cost a lot less if you buy them on amazon.com btw

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

All goo's are going to do is metabolize a bit faster than solid stuff. Another benefit is that given their high sugar density, they might upset the stomachs of some people....or maybe make them yack. Otherwise, goo's offer no other advantages, unless small form factor and having sticky fingers is really important to you.

4. Xsmoker

Xsmoker New Member

+1, I prefer Cliff Bars

5. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Clif bars suck for use at real intensity. The advantage of gels is that you can down a hundred cals super quick. You don't have to chew them. You are not forced to breath through your nose as you gag down a mouthfull of high tech granola. You just have to squeeze them into your mouth, swallow, then chase the taste out of your mouth and dilute the sugar in your stomach with a big swig of water. It takes a few seconds.

The downside to gels is that they are overpriced for what you get. They can be sticky. The poorly designed ones are too viscous. For training use, gels are a waste for most people.

If you don't like gels, you could try Clif Shot Bloks. For training these days, I often use multigrain fruit breakfast bars, which are like giant individually wrapped fig newtons. They are cheap. They taste good. They work.

6. RedRider2009

RedRider2009 New Member

The cost of this type of stuff really gets me...it hardly costs the companies anything to produce these items. I am a high school student with a really low income, the equipment costs enough to begin with...I might try shot blocks though

Has anybody found websites with low prices for food like this aside from amazon.com?

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

They're "special" products for niche markets: of course they're going to cost more. You don't have to use "energy" products. Remember, Goo and Clif Bars weren't around when guys like Merckx were riding hard.

You can use jelly beans, pb&j sandwiches, pb sandwiches, PayDay bars, nuts, bananas, trail mix, M&M's......and the list goes on and on and on.

8. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

jam sandwiches with the crusts cut off are very good to get down quick when suffering mid race. and tast MUUUUUUUUCCCCHHHHHH better than gels.

Also, never buy enervit bars, they are terrible.

9. graf zeppelin

graf zeppelin New Member

I agree. Gels are great for exactly this reason. They're hard to beat, but they are expensive. When I used them, I got the Mocha Mocha ones and the taste for me was great. I dont like Clif Bars at all specifically because they're so hard to chew and breathe at the same time. They quickly require so much water when they enter your mouth. Clif Bars are good sometimes when you stop for a little time off the bike, but I struggle to eat them while riding.

These days I just go with bananas, fig newtons, bread and cheese or jam, some sort of candy bar or candy if I stop somewhere. As alienator said, there are so many other options.

10. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

You can pick up individually wrapped multi-grain fruit bars (as I mentioned) for about $2 for a box of eight. 140 Cals per bar, 25 of that from fat. Fig Newtons are probably even cheaper, but you have to put them in a plastic bag or something.

If you are really hardcore :D then you can buy brown rice syrup and use it in a flask instead of gel.

11. Emp

Emp New Member

hehehe.....actually i tried once too....it was be4 a race.....ery1 was relaxing and i was tense as hell coz its my 1st time.....i quickly take out a power gel and look at it....*wow~nice packaging it got*and then i press it into my mouth.....omfg.....erything was changed.....the awful taste is really making me feeling not that good anymore.....and i started the race.....i didnt feel anything.....from dat day on i tell myself i would rather save money for some burgers than those gels......XD

12. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

I've even heard marmalaid sandwhiches are good, loaded with sugar i can see why. I think i like the idea of fig newtons, the taste isn't bad, their quick, not sticky, and have enough calories to help out. I wonder, sounds stupid, but if i could learn how to make my own fruit bars or gronola bars suited for my needs. anyone know any place to learn how to make em? like a website or something?

13. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

+1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1.......

14. huboon

huboon New Member

Real dates -- about $6 for a 5 pound container. If they're not pitted you can spit the seeds at other peoples' spokes.

As for the fancy stuff, I like the Hammer Gel... $20 for a big container of many servings to mix with your water. No chewing necessary.

15. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Can you spit the seeds at that idiot trying to pass you with no warning?:D

16. huboon

huboon New Member

Depends on your fast twitch fibers. :D

btw, that's only a 2 pound box for $6.

17. JSWin

JSWin Member

Energy gel? No not really. Sounds like a pair of sneakers. Just eat good real food and you will have energy.

18. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Call me new fashioned, but I like gels. And Shot Blox. And the syrup. And the bars. It all tastes good to me and it's easy to down on the fly. Easy to stuff in a jersey pocket.

Go to The Feed https://www.thefeed.com and order a bunch of that stuff, if you're like me.

There's always bananas, trail mix, granola, cookies and road food from the Stop & Rob's along the way.

Got to have calories of some sort. Dealer's choice.

19. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

My go to snacks on the fly are an odd biscuit or two, or a banana. Failing that I'll stop off at a shop and grab myself a chocolate bar of some sort.

Usually though I don't particularly like eating outside at all.

20. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

For replying to a post from 2008 I would -certainly- call you old fashioned... :D

Susimi likes this.