so i tried energy gel

Volnix said:
For replying to a post from 2008 I would -certainly- call you old fashioned... :D
Well we are 7 years later so new fashioned is certainly a relevant saying ;)

I seldom use energy gels, except for long rides or in local bike runs. I don’t very much like the taste of it and its texture is a bit sticky and can get my mouth parched :unsure: This was my experience in the past, so now what I always do is take energy gels with water so I can swallow it completely and lessen the stickiness in my mouth :D In this way also, my mouth and throat will not feel parched and I will not feel uncomfortable and distracted while cycling. It worked out fine for me and I did feel a boost of energy, especially when I was feeling down, tired and a bit hungry :)

I take a couple of high5 energy bars on my rides, I don't normally suffer form any real need for energy but on some longer rides I have begun to feel hungry so just eat one of these after a while and now I don't get hungry any more on the rides. When riding socially with the club we do stops for coffee etc so a nice bit of cake or something is always on hand to get if the need arises. Not tried the gels etc because many friends and family have said they taste horrible. I do however intend to give them a go to see.