So, If You're A Tall Rider, I Guess You're Screwed?

LemondFan4ever

Feb 27, 2011
Cant seem to find any US bike manufacturer's that make road bikes in size(s) 64/65/66 cm any more, I guess if you're a tall rider, like me(6ft 6), you're pretty much screwed now, if you want to buy a new bike in any of those sizes? Or, you have to pay ALOT for a custom bike to be built for you? Just curious...are there any US bike companies even selling those sizes anymore? doesnt have to be a 2011 version, maybe one they have, thats a bit older, but new?

Any help?

Velo Orange Rando, frame/fork: Max size 63, $750
Rivendell Sam Hillborne, frame/fork: Max size 64, $1000
Soma and Surley sell frames at least up to 62.
These are all steel bikes, most are lugged steel. The cheapest (lugged) custom frames that I've seen are Mercian (British). You might be able to get one for under $1500, I'm not sure but you can calculate everything on their website. Most custom builders that I've looked at in the US will cost around $2000 at lease, for lugged steel. However, some do TIG steel for less. Of course you can watch Craigslist and eBay for older classics, etc. I didn't look at the major bike sellers here as I assume that you have done that. Have you asked this question at your local shop?

From what I've seen, trek makes some in 64cm and giant XL frames can fit up to 67cm

I am the same height as you, so i have the same problem. I've been searching for a large frame touring bike, but there are not many out there. I have a '05 bianchi volpe, at the time the largest frame was a 61 cm, now bianchi makes up to 64's.

Check out Gunnar, they have sizes up to 67 or thereabouts. You can get a frameset for $1200, not sure what a whole bike costs.

fuji makes a 64 cm touring model.

One other option i have been considering is building my own frame! the materials and tools would run < $500 for a high quality steel frame. I would make a jig out of cheap materials and do my research - there are books on the subject. Then just put in the time and effort of building the thing to your own specs. It beats paying a frame builder. Of course if you are not mechanically inclined this option is not for you!

Not screwed, just have to look a little harder.

Short people have a similar problem.

Another factor is also the company making the frame. I know I ride a 60 cm Trek but fit better on a 58 cm Cannondale. Like shoes, bike sizing changes from brand to brand and even model to model. Maybe a smaller 61cm would fit you from a different company? (BTW, I'm 6'3" but I guess have shorter legs?)