So is today the day, UCI?

In April 1994, two months after suppression by the UCI on Donati's report into EPO usage in the professional peleton, three riders from the Italian Gewiss team – Moreno Argentin, Giorgio Furlan, Evgeni Berzi – broke clear with 80 kms to race in the classic Fleche-Wallone and finished first, second and third. One of the journalists covering the race was Jean-Michel Rouet from L’Equipe. In fifteen years of reporting, he had never seen anything like it. ‘I was intrigued by the result’, he explains. ‘It was just wasn’t possible for a classic to be dominated this way!’ The next day I went across to the Gewiss team hotel to interview Emmanuele Bombini the director sportif of Gewiss. Bombani had been called back to Italy on business and I was just about to leave when I noticed three Italian journalists talking to Michele Ferrari, the Gewiss team doctor. My Italian isn’t great so I asked my driver to interpret and we had only sat down when the conversation turned to EPO. “I don’t give it myself”, Ferrari told us, “but if others are doing it, well why not ? Its not more dangerous than orange juice” I couldn’t believe it ! Two days later when Ferrari had been fired by the team and the story was all over the papers, Hem Verbruggan (President of the UCI) gave a press conference on the morning of the Amstel Gold Race. Insistent that here was minimal abuse in the sport, he began reading us statistics to back up his theory. It was total hypocrisy. We were writing about a product that couldn’t be detected and he was quoting us statistics from dope control’