so long a.r.b.r

Howard Bishop

Guest
it was good to know you once.

Until a couple individuals quit renaming old threads and desist in starting new threads that are
way off topic, there isn't any point in filtering through the chaff to find the threads that are
worth reading.

If I want to know about Iraq, I'll ping the BBC world service; if I want to hear OT musings about
SUVs I'll ask the green party; if I want to read the ramblings of a disgruntled individual with a
persecution complex, well, that's a commodity which sadly, is all too readily available.

If I want to escape for a few minutes and read about recumbent bikes, well, I guess there's a couple
of commercial outlets; a.r.b.r isn't it, at least for now.

Howard you have a Valid Point. I myself have (on occassion) changed the Subject Line and got blasted
for it (that confused me).

There may be a solution. The NG tends to use a language of abbreviations
i.e. IMHO, AFAIK etc, how about we ALL add a Letter Code to the Subject Lines (when) the post had
drifted away from all things bent. Something simple like NBC = No Bent Content Doing this will
make it sooo much easier for folks like you to weed out the posts on Mag-Levs and the Iraq
situation. YES? -------------------------------How about a Poll to see if NBC can be used by
everyone------------ "Howard Bishop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> it was good to know you once.
>
> Until a couple individuals quit renaming old threads and desist in starting new threads that are
> way off topic, there isn't any point in filtering through the chaff to find the threads that are
> worth reading.
>
> If I want to know about Iraq, I'll ping the BBC world service; if I want to hear OT musings about
> SUVs I'll ask the green party; if I want to read the ramblings of a disgruntled individual with a
> persecution complex, well, that's a commodity which sadly, is all too readily available.
>
> If I want to escape for a few minutes and read about recumbent bikes, well, I guess there's a
> couple of commercial outlets; a.r.b.r isn't it, at least for now.

"Joshua Goldberg" skrev...
> There may be a solution. The NG tends to use a language of abbreviations
> i.e. IMHO, AFAIK etc, how about we ALL add a Letter Code to the Subject Lines (when) the post had
> drifted away from all things bent. Something simple like NBC = No Bent Content Doing this
> will make it sooo much easier for folks like you to weed out the posts on Mag-Levs and the
> Iraq situation.

Whats wrong with OT? Or better yet that people dont change subject lines when they are wildly
offtopic like on this Iraq-thing. Makes it possible to killfile the thread. If people persist in
changing the subjectline for each post then killfile them. (So who wanna bet our resident
treehugging commie hippie Tom will change the subjectline on this post? )

Mikael
p.s. TCH in the nicest possible sense of course. ;-)

Mikael Seierup wrote:
> "Joshua Goldberg" skrev...
>
>>There may be a solution. The NG tends to use a language of abbreviations
>>i.e. IMHO, AFAIK etc, how about we ALL add a Letter Code to the Subject Lines (when) the post had
>> drifted away from all things bent. Something simple like NBC = No Bent Content Doing this
>> will make it sooo much easier for folks like you to weed out the posts on Mag-Levs and the
>> Iraq situation.
>>

> Whats wrong with OT? Or better yet that people dont change subject lines when they are wildly
> offtopic like on this Iraq-thing. Makes it possible to killfile the thread. If people persist in
> changing the subjectline for each post then killfile them. (So who wanna bet our resident
> treehugging commie hippie Tom will change the subjectline on this post? )
>
> Mikael
> p.s. TCH in the nicest possible sense of course. ;-)

I think that when the subject line no longer matches the subject being discussed, it should be
changed. Otherwise, there may be some interesting content being skipped over, simply because the
potential reader doesn't know it's there. Otherwise, why not just do away with the subject lines
altogether, if there's no longer that supposed connection?

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Howard check out the International Human Powered Vehicle Association web site. The list is moderated
and may be just what you are looking for. For the most part it's totally bent all the time.

Give it a try at:

http://www.ihpva.org/mailing_lists/

Skip

Mikael Seierup wrote:
> ... Whats wrong with OT? Or better yet that people dont change subject lines when they are wildly
> offtopic like on this Iraq-thing. Makes it possible to killfile > the thread....

Mikael,

I believe that the thread title should be changed if an off-topic flame war that people are avoiding
comes back on topic, e.g. "Recumbents and sand?"

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

srod wrote:

> Howard check out the International Human Powered Vehicle Association web site. The list is
> moderated and may be just what you are looking for. For the most part it's totally bent all
> the time.
>
> Give it a try at:
>
> http://www.ihpva.org/mailing_lists/

Skip,

I am going to be pedantic and point out the mailing lists supported on the IHPVA server are not
moderated unless the post originates from a non list subscriber. However, each list has an
administrator who can unsubscribe posters who do not post within the general guidelines of that
particular mailing list.

The content on the "HPV" is primarily about recumbent bicycles, but any subject relating to human
power vehicles is considered to be on topic.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You soon find out the pig likes
it! - Unknown

Actually its simple...I use filters.... some posters I just PLONK its amazing how small, managable
and on topic it gets to be.

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Howard Bishop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> it was good to know you once.
>
> Until a couple individuals quit renaming old threads and desist in starting new threads that are
> way off topic, there isn't any point in filtering through the chaff to find the threads that are
> worth reading.
>
> If I want to know about Iraq, I'll ping the BBC world service; if I want to hear OT musings about
> SUVs I'll ask the green party; if I want to read the ramblings of a disgruntled individual with a
> persecution complex, well, that's a commodity which sadly, is all too readily available.
>
> If I want to escape for a few minutes and read about recumbent bikes, well, I guess there's a
> couple of commercial outlets; a.r.b.r isn't it, at least for now.

Nevertheless, I suspect hpv mailing list maybe what Howard is looking for and more to his liking
than a.r.b.r. I further suspect that if the recent political threads (of which I am not complaining)
in a.r.b.r. had been posted to the hpv mailing list it would have resulted in the participants being
rather quickly unsubscribed.

I like the hpv list, but I find a.r.b.r. more interesting. I read only what I want to read. It seems
to me there's enough internet hpv, bike, bent, trike discussion groups that everyone should be able
to find what's right for them if they just look for it. If not they are free to start their own.

Skip

> Skip,
>
> I am going to be pedantic and point out the mailing lists supported on the IHPVA server are not
> moderated unless the post originates from a non list subscriber. However, each list has an
> administrator who can unsubscribe posters who do not post within the general guidelines of that
> particular mailing list.
>
> The content on the "HPV" is primarily about recumbent bicycles, but any subject relating to human
> power vehicles is considered to be on topic.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's
>
> Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You soon find out the pig likes it!
> - Unknown

> I like VeloVision

I like my Yellow Vision. Too bad the weather's been too bad for me to ride it! :-(

[email protected] (Howard Bishop) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> If I want to escape for a few minutes and read about recumbent bikes, well, I guess there's a
> couple of commercial outlets; a.r.b.r isn't it, at least for now.

Ah! If you want to escape and spend a few hours reading about recumbents, I have a pile of 50 or so
Recumbent Cycling News I would be happy to sell you. No Iraq bents, no subdivision advertisements,
or anything off topic. Glad to help!

Chris Jordan >>>>>>>exit- stage right>>>>>>>to count my RCNs Santa Cruz, CA.

Josh:

[Note: I haven't renamed any subject lines. I'm just too lazy.]

Can't one just exclude threads with "OT" in the subject line? I've also noticed that some
newsreaders maintain threads based on the subject line, while others do so based on an ID that's
unaffected by the subject. One ought to be able to exclude threads with certain IDs, and it
wouldn't matter what the subject line says. I thought you could do that in Agent, but haven't
actually tried it.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

> Howard you have a Valid Point. I myself have (on occassion) changed the Subject Line and got
> blasted for
it
> (that confused me).
>
> There may be a solution. The NG tends to use a language of abbreviations
> i.e. IMHO, AFAIK etc, how about we ALL add a Letter Code to the Subject Lines (when) the post had
> drifted away from all things bent. Something simple like NBC = No Bent Content Doing this
> will make it sooo much easier for folks like you to weed out
the
> posts on Mag-Levs and the Iraq situation. YES? -------------------------------How about a Poll to
> see if NBC can be used
by
> everyone------------ "Howard Bishop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > it was good to know you once.
> >
> > Until a couple individuals quit renaming old threads and desist in starting new threads that are
> > way off topic, there isn't any point in filtering through the chaff to find the threads that are
> > worth reading.
> >
> > If I want to know about Iraq, I'll ping the BBC world service; if I want to hear OT musings
> > about SUVs I'll ask the green party; if I want to read the ramblings of a disgruntled individual
> > with a persecution complex, well, that's a commodity which sadly, is all too readily available.
> >
> > If I want to escape for a few minutes and read about recumbent bikes, well, I guess there's a
> > couple of commercial outlets; a.r.b.r isn't it, at least for now.

OK, I renamed one subject line below, just as a joke. I'm now tainted.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Josh:
>
> [Note: I haven't renamed any subject lines. I'm just too lazy.]
>
> Can't one just exclude threads with "OT" in the subject line? I've also noticed that some
> newsreaders maintain threads based on the subject line, while others do so based on an ID that's
> unaffected by the subject. One ought to be able to exclude threads with certain IDs, and it
> wouldn't
matter
> what the subject line says. I thought you could do that in Agent, but haven't actually tried it.
>
> --
> --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.
>

> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Howard you have a Valid Point. I myself have (on occassion) changed the Subject Line and got
> > blasted
for
> it
> > (that confused me).
> >
> > There may be a solution. The NG tends to use a language of abbreviations
> > i.e. IMHO, AFAIK etc, how about we ALL add a Letter Code to the Subject Lines (when) the post
> > had drifted away from all things bent. Something simple like NBC = No Bent Content Doing
> > this will make it sooo much easier for folks like you to weed out
> the
> > posts on Mag-Levs and the Iraq situation. YES? -------------------------------How about a Poll
> > to see if NBC can be
used
> by
> > everyone------------ "Howard Bishop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > it was good to know you once.
> > >
> > > Until a couple individuals quit renaming old threads and desist in starting new threads that
> > > are way off topic, there isn't any point in filtering through the chaff to find the threads
> > > that are worth reading.
> > >
> > > If I want to know about Iraq, I'll ping the BBC world service; if I want to hear OT musings
> > > about SUVs I'll ask the green party; if I want to read the ramblings of a disgruntled
> > > individual with a persecution complex, well, that's a commodity which sadly, is all too
> > > readily available.
> > >
> > > If I want to escape for a few minutes and read about recumbent bikes, well, I guess there's a
> > > couple of commercial outlets; a.r.b.r isn't it, at least for now.

I've been here on this group for a coupla three years now. Every winter, I see the same "cabin
fever". We've all been locked up in the house, not making the miles we would all like to. When
spring blossoms, I always notice the tone of the discussions are more pleasant and easy going. There
have been others who have said "so long", some come back, some don't. I just don't read the
discussions that don't appeal to me, and killfile the really obnoxious posters. (none on this group)
Perry bentcajungirl

See ya Bye

Freewheeling wrote:

> Josh:
>
> [Note: I haven't renamed any subject lines. I'm just too lazy.]
>
> Can't one just exclude threads with "OT" in the subject line? I've also noticed that some
> newsreaders maintain threads based on the subject line, while others do so based on an ID that's
> unaffected by the subject. One ought to be able to exclude threads with certain IDs, and it
> wouldn't matter what the subject line says. I thought you could do that in Agent, but haven't
> actually tried it.

I have discovered a very effective filter - it is called the human brain. :)

[email protected] (Howard Bishop) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

Loosen up Howard,

AFAICT (As Far As I Can Tell)(I like to abbreviate and use acronyms and "inside jokes" to expidite
the reading and understanding of my timeless posts. This helps those whose lives are too busy and
are looking for the most information in the least amount of time.

Now back to my "rat killing"......

AFAICT, your first post (that I could find) to a.r.b.r. was about jetskis. Recumbent jetskies?????

Hang around, you hardly know us.

Jerry

First off, Tom, you are my favorite deep-down-dyed-in-the wool-anti-establishment type because you
have an outstanding brain ... and ... a terrific sense of humor.

Having said that, Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, Karl Marx, Nickie Lenin and a lot of similar types also
had outstanding brains. Unfortunately, for such smart people they did some very dumb things.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote

Robert Siegel wrote:

> First off, Tom, you are my favorite deep-down-dyed-in-the wool-anti-establishment type because you
> have an outstanding brain ... and ... a terrific sense of humor.
>
> Having said that, Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, Karl Marx, Nickie Lenin and a lot of similar types
> also had outstanding brains. Unfortunately, for such smart people they did some very dumb things.
>
> --
> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush
>
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > I have discovered a very effective filter - it is called the human brain. :)

GatorBob,

With the possible exception of Castro (Hi Fidel, if you are lurking), I am quite positive that
Guevara, Marx, and Lenin never had to deal with off-topic posts on alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. ;)