So Many Runs, So Few Rides...

I think it's because running takes a lot less equipment and time to prep for. What I mean by that is that to run, you only need a pair of running shoes and some decent shorts and you're good to go. Whereas, with a bike, you need a bike, a helmet, good tires, a good frame, everything. It ends up costing a lot more money than a good pair of shoes. That's probably why more runs are happening than bike rides - because the initial hurdle to become a runner is a lot smaller than becoming a biker.

I think that running is just a sport that is very popular right now. Many charity events see 5k and 10k fun runs as great fundraising activities, and may even possibly see cycling as more difficult or not as all inclusive as running. Many people associate cycling races with triathlons as well which could be another reason why they don't host as many cycling events.

That's a very good observation. Know that you have mentioned it, I've thought about it and it seems to be true. I would love to know as well. Life itself is a journey and it's most time depicted by a walk. Maybe the charity walk is something of that sort, symbolizing life's journey, which we don't have the pleasure of riding through.

Jennifer Abernathy said:
I think that running is just a sport that is very popular right now. Many charity events see 5k and 10k fun runs as great fundraising activities, and may even possibly see cycling as more difficult or not as all inclusive as running. Many people associate cycling races with triathlons as well which could be another reason why they don't host as many cycling events.
Yes you could be right. Cycling is a sport indeed. Maybe they want to make the charity event unbiased to those who don't have bike.