So Much for Mountain Biking's Alleged "Health Benefit"

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mike Vandeman, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/oj/article/0,1375,VCS_168_4351767,00.html:

    Ojai man collapses, dies during mountain bike ride

    December 30, 2005

    An Ojai man died of unknown health problems while mountain biking with a friend
    Thursday, the Ventura County Sheriff's Department said.

    Robert Smith, 62, and a female friend were taking a morning ride on Cozy Dell
    Trail in Ojai when he suffered what might have been a heart attack, officials
    said. The cause of death will not be determined until an autopsy is performed,
    authorities said.

    The woman performed CPR on Smith while emergency personnel responded,
    authorities said. A helicopter lowered a deputy and a paramedic to the trail,
    where several attempts to revive Smith were unsuccessful, officials said.

    He was pronounced dead at 9:05 a.m. Thursday, sheriff's Capt. Ron Nelson said.

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
     
    Tags:


  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  3. LeeD

    LeeD Guest

    People die from mountain lion attacks while hiking in the hills, too.
    Hiking is bad for your health.
    People die when they WALK into hospitals, and get carried out as
    cadavers. Hospitals are bad for your health.
    People even just die while living. Living is bad for MikeVandeman's
    health!!!!
     
  4. Life is a terminal disease....
    cfe
     
  5. di

    di Guest

    "LeeD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > People die from mountain lion attacks while hiking in the hills, too.
    > Hiking is bad for your health.
    > People die when they WALK into hospitals, and get carried out as
    > cadavers. Hospitals are bad for your health.
    > People even just die while living. Living is bad for MikeVandeman's
    > health!!!!
    >


    Vandeman has been dead for years, just no one has pushed him over yet.
     
  6. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Ah,
    Mike.
    I havn't been here for a couple 2-3 years. Nice to see nothing changes!!

    Jack Norman
    Riding for life!



    "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/oj/article/0,1375,VCS_168_4351767,00.html:
    >
    > Ojai man collapses, dies during mountain bike ride
    >
    > December 30, 2005
    >
    > An Ojai man died of unknown health problems while mountain biking with a
    > friend
    > Thursday, the Ventura County Sheriff's Department said.
    >
    > Robert Smith, 62, and a female friend were taking a morning ride on Cozy
    > Dell
    > Trail in Ojai when he suffered what might have been a heart attack,
    > officials
    > said. The cause of death will not be determined until an autopsy is
    > performed,
    > authorities said.
    >
    > The woman performed CPR on Smith while emergency personnel responded,
    > authorities said. A helicopter lowered a deputy and a paramedic to the
    > trail,
    > where several attempts to revive Smith were unsuccessful, officials said.
    >
    > He was pronounced dead at 9:05 a.m. Thursday, sheriff's Capt. Ron Nelson
    > said.
    >
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    > humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    > years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
     
  7. Sohn

    Sohn Guest

    "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/oj/article/0,1375,VCS_168_4351767,00.html:
    >
    > Ojai man collapses, dies during mountain bike ride
    >
    > December 30, 2005
    >
    > An Ojai man died of unknown health problems while mountain biking with a
    > friend
    > Thursday, the Ventura County Sheriff's Department said.
    >
    > Robert Smith, 62, and a female friend were taking a morning ride on Cozy
    > Dell
    > Trail in Ojai when he suffered what might have been a heart attack,
    > officials
    > said. The cause of death will not be determined until an autopsy is
    > performed,
    > authorities said.
    >
    > The woman performed CPR on Smith while emergency personnel responded,
    > authorities said. A helicopter lowered a deputy and a paramedic to the
    > trail,
    > where several attempts to revive Smith were unsuccessful, officials said.
    >
    > He was pronounced dead at 9:05 a.m. Thursday, sheriff's Capt. Ron Nelson
    > said.

    <snip>

    He died during an activity that brought him happiness, much better than
    dying from a disease such as cancer. If I had a choice when my time is up I
    would rather die doing something I enjoy than wasting away in an old folks
    home or hospital bed due to the ravages of a disease and the effect of time
    Ron.
     
  8. VandeSpam's joy in the misfortunes of others speaks volumes about his
    true agenda.

    --
    [email protected] is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
    Updated Infrared Photography Gallery:
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/ir.html>
     
  9. Veloise

    Veloise Guest

    LeeD wrote:
    > People die from mountain lion attacks while hiking in the hills, too.
    > Hiking is bad for your health.
    > People die when they WALK into hospitals, and get carried out as
    > cadavers. Hospitals are bad for your health.
    > People even just die while living. Living is bad for MikeVandeman's
    > health!!!!


    Or bowling.
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...20252.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

    What a way to go. Hospital bed, hospice, DNR, living will? Or with your
    last moments enjoying what you like to do?

    --Karen D.
     
  10. Dan wrote:
    > Ah,
    > Mike.
    > I havn't been here for a couple 2-3 years. Nice to see nothing changes!!
    >
    > Jack Norman
    > Riding for life!
    >
    >
    >
    > "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/oj/article/0,1375,VCS_168_4351767,00.html:
    >>
    >>Ojai man collapses, dies during mountain bike ride
    >>
    >>December 30, 2005
    >>
    >>An Ojai man died of unknown health problems while mountain biking with a
    >>friend
    >>Thursday, the Ventura County Sheriff's Department said.
    >>
    >>Robert Smith, 62, and a female friend were taking a morning ride on Cozy
    >>Dell
    >>Trail in Ojai when he suffered what might have been a heart attack,
    >>officials
    >>said. The cause of death will not be determined until an autopsy is
    >>performed,
    >>authorities said.
    >>
    >>The woman performed CPR on Smith while emergency personnel responded,
    >>authorities said. A helicopter lowered a deputy and a paramedic to the
    >>trail,
    >>where several attempts to revive Smith were unsuccessful, officials said.
    >>
    >>He was pronounced dead at 9:05 a.m. Thursday, sheriff's Capt. Ron Nelson
    >>said.
    >>
    >>===
    >>I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    >>humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    >>years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >>
    >>http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    >
    >
    >


    Well, since I got back into riding, I've increased my leg strength,
    increased my cardiovascualr fitness level, shaved off 15 lbs and dropped
    my blood pressure a fair bit. Funny, that seems like health benefits
    to both me and my doctor!

    Psycho Mike
     
  11. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  12. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  13. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > Michael Dart wrote:
    >> Mike Vandeman wrote:
    >>> Nothing of import.
    >>>

    >>
    >> So...
    >>
    >> http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2275147

    >
    > He went out on a roll. (With no time to...spare.)
    >
    > Gotta split before the clock /strikes/ 12,
    >
    > Gutter Bill


    Nice to know I can set 'em up so you can hit 'em outta the park!

    LOL!

    Mike
     
  14. On 31 Dec 2005 08:39:07 -0800, "Veloise" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..LeeD wrote:
    ..> People die from mountain lion attacks while hiking in the hills, too.
    ..> Hiking is bad for your health.
    ..> People die when they WALK into hospitals, and get carried out as
    ..> cadavers. Hospitals are bad for your health.
    ..> People even just die while living. Living is bad for MikeVandeman's
    ..> health!!!!
    ..
    ..Or bowling.
    ..http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...20252.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines
    ..
    ..What a way to go. Hospital bed, hospice, DNR, living will? Or with your
    ..last moments enjoying what you like to do?

    Really? There are good ways to die? Very funny.

    ..--Karen D.

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
     
  15. On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:47:36 GMT, Michael Halliwell <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    ..Dan wrote:
    ..> Ah,
    ..> Mike.
    ..> I havn't been here for a couple 2-3 years. Nice to see nothing changes!!
    ..>
    ..> Jack Norman
    ..> Riding for life!
    ..>
    ..>
    ..>
    ..> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    ..> news:[email protected]
    ..>
    ..>>http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/oj/article/0,1375,VCS_168_4351767,00.html:
    ..>>
    ..>>Ojai man collapses, dies during mountain bike ride
    ..>>
    ..>>December 30, 2005
    ..>>
    ..>>An Ojai man died of unknown health problems while mountain biking with a
    ..>>friend
    ..>>Thursday, the Ventura County Sheriff's Department said.
    ..>>
    ..>>Robert Smith, 62, and a female friend were taking a morning ride on Cozy
    ..>>Dell
    ..>>Trail in Ojai when he suffered what might have been a heart attack,
    ..>>officials
    ..>>said. The cause of death will not be determined until an autopsy is
    ..>>performed,
    ..>>authorities said.
    ..>>
    ..>>The woman performed CPR on Smith while emergency personnel responded,
    ..>>authorities said. A helicopter lowered a deputy and a paramedic to the
    ..>>trail,
    ..>>where several attempts to revive Smith were unsuccessful, officials said.
    ..>>
    ..>>He was pronounced dead at 9:05 a.m. Thursday, sheriff's Capt. Ron Nelson
    ..>>said.
    ..>>
    ..>>===
    ..>>I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    ..>>humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    ..>>years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    ..>>
    ..>>http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
    ..>
    ..>
    ..>
    ..
    ..Well, since I got back into riding, I've increased my leg strength,
    ..increased my cardiovascualr fitness level, shaved off 15 lbs and dropped
    ..my blood pressure a fair bit. Funny, that seems like health benefits
    ..to both me and my doctor!

    Not due to mountain biking. You could have done exactly the same, without
    destroying nature. There's NO good reason to mountain bike.

    ..Psycho Mike

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
     
  16. Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Really? There are good ways to die? Very funny.


    Seems like it, given your evident glee at the death of any mountain
    biker.

    Let's see if anyone laughs when you die, shall we?

    --
    Guy
     
  17. Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

    > There's NO good reason to mountain bike.


    As you've been told before, there are /many/ good reasons to mountain
    bike, it's just that you prefer a different way of damaging habitat so
    you refuse to accept other people's judgment of what constitutes good.
    Justa s you refuse to accept the judgment of the wilderness protection
    agencies that mountain biking is not an especial threat (unlike
    wildfires caused by hikers camping).

    --
    Guy
     
  18. Charles

    Charles Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1h8hizd.kj5x7e1g8rfy8N%[email protected]
    > Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Really? There are good ways to die? Very funny.

    >
    > Seems like it, given your evident glee at the death of any mountain
    > biker.
    >
    > Let's see if anyone laughs when you die, shall we?
    >
    > --
    > Guy


    OK, there aren't any really good ways to die, but there are preferred ways
    to die. In one's own bed in a ripe old age, for instance. But some people
    are dead and still walking around. I'm having to deal with that in another
    forum right now.

    Charles of Kankakee
     
  19. Charles <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OK, there aren't any really good ways to die, but there are preferred ways
    > to die. In one's own bed in a ripe old age, for instance. But some people
    > are dead and still walking around. I'm having to deal with that in another
    > forum right now.


    Vandeman is only dead from the neck up...

    --
    Guy
     
  20. Charles

    Charles Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1h8hjxo.1ql9v1h1rzu1yjN%[email protected]
    > Charles <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> OK, there aren't any really good ways to die, but there are preferred
    >> ways
    >> to die. In one's own bed in a ripe old age, for instance. But some
    >> people
    >> are dead and still walking around. I'm having to deal with that in
    >> another
    >> forum right now.

    >
    > Vandeman is only dead from the neck up...
    >
    > --
    > Guy


    So is the person in the other forum . . . So they're both imitating Rob
    Reiner?

    I was hoping to find a nice disccusion about bicycles over here. I'm 48,
    and broke my hip 3 years back, so I can't use my bike since I can't get my
    leg over the bar. Seriously considering getting a girl's bike so I can ride
    again.

    Charles of Kankakee
     
Loading...
Loading...