So Much for Mountain Biking's Alleged "Health Benefit"

Mike Vandeman

Guest
http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/oj/article/0,1375,VCS_168_4351767,00.html:

Ojai man collapses, dies during mountain bike ride

December 30, 2005

An Ojai man died of unknown health problems while mountain biking with a friend
Thursday, the Ventura County Sheriff's Department said.

Robert Smith, 62, and a female friend were taking a morning ride on Cozy Dell
Trail in Ojai when he suffered what might have been a heart attack, officials
said. The cause of death will not be determined until an autopsy is performed,
authorities said.

The woman performed CPR on Smith while emergency personnel responded,
authorities said. A helicopter lowered a deputy and a paramedic to the trail,
where several attempts to revive Smith were unsuccessful, officials said.

He was pronounced dead at 9:05 a.m. Thursday, sheriff's Capt. Ron Nelson said.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

People die from mountain lion attacks while hiking in the hills, too.
Hiking is bad for your health.
People die when they WALK into hospitals, and get carried out as
cadavers. Hospitals are bad for your health.
People even just die while living. Living is bad for MikeVandeman's
health!!!!

"LeeD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> People die from mountain lion attacks while hiking in the hills, too.
> Hiking is bad for your health.
> People die when they WALK into hospitals, and get carried out as
> cadavers. Hospitals are bad for your health.
> People even just die while living. Living is bad for MikeVandeman's
> health!!!!

Vandeman has been dead for years, just no one has pushed him over yet.

Ah,
Mike.
I havn't been here for a couple 2-3 years. Nice to see nothing changes!!

Jack Norman
Riding for life!

> http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/oj/article/0,1375,VCS_168_4351767,00.html:
>
> Ojai man collapses, dies during mountain bike ride
>
> December 30, 2005
>
> An Ojai man died of unknown health problems while mountain biking with a
> friend
> Thursday, the Ventura County Sheriff's Department said.
>
> Robert Smith, 62, and a female friend were taking a morning ride on Cozy
> Dell
> Trail in Ojai when he suffered what might have been a heart attack,
> officials
> said. The cause of death will not be determined until an autopsy is
> performed,
> authorities said.
>
> The woman performed CPR on Smith while emergency personnel responded,
> authorities said. A helicopter lowered a deputy and a paramedic to the
> trail,
> where several attempts to revive Smith were unsuccessful, officials said.
>
> He was pronounced dead at 9:05 a.m. Thursday, sheriff's Capt. Ron Nelson
> said.
>
> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/oj/article/0,1375,VCS_168_4351767,00.html:
>
> Ojai man collapses, dies during mountain bike ride
>
> December 30, 2005
>
> An Ojai man died of unknown health problems while mountain biking with a
> friend
> Thursday, the Ventura County Sheriff's Department said.
>
> Robert Smith, 62, and a female friend were taking a morning ride on Cozy
> Dell
> Trail in Ojai when he suffered what might have been a heart attack,
> officials
> said. The cause of death will not be determined until an autopsy is
> performed,
> authorities said.
>
> The woman performed CPR on Smith while emergency personnel responded,
> authorities said. A helicopter lowered a deputy and a paramedic to the
> trail,
> where several attempts to revive Smith were unsuccessful, officials said.
>
> He was pronounced dead at 9:05 a.m. Thursday, sheriff's Capt. Ron Nelson
> said.

<snip>

He died during an activity that brought him happiness, much better than
dying from a disease such as cancer. If I had a choice when my time is up I
would rather die doing something I enjoy than wasting away in an old folks
home or hospital bed due to the ravages of a disease and the effect of time
Ron.

VandeSpam's joy in the misfortunes of others speaks volumes about his
true agenda.

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

LeeD wrote:
> People die from mountain lion attacks while hiking in the hills, too.
> Hiking is bad for your health.
> People die when they WALK into hospitals, and get carried out as
> cadavers. Hospitals are bad for your health.
> People even just die while living. Living is bad for MikeVandeman's
> health!!!!

Or bowling.
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...20252.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

What a way to go. Hospital bed, hospice, DNR, living will? Or with your
last moments enjoying what you like to do?

--Karen D.

Dan wrote:
> Ah,
> Mike.
> I havn't been here for a couple 2-3 years. Nice to see nothing changes!!
>
> Jack Norman
> Riding for life!
>

> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/oj/article/0,1375,VCS_168_4351767,00.html:
>>
>>Ojai man collapses, dies during mountain bike ride
>>
>>December 30, 2005
>>
>>An Ojai man died of unknown health problems while mountain biking with a
>>friend
>>Thursday, the Ventura County Sheriff's Department said.
>>
>>Robert Smith, 62, and a female friend were taking a morning ride on Cozy
>>Dell
>>Trail in Ojai when he suffered what might have been a heart attack,
>>officials
>>said. The cause of death will not be determined until an autopsy is
>>performed,
>>authorities said.
>>
>>The woman performed CPR on Smith while emergency personnel responded,
>>authorities said. A helicopter lowered a deputy and a paramedic to the
>>trail,
>>where several attempts to revive Smith were unsuccessful, officials said.
>>
>>He was pronounced dead at 9:05 a.m. Thursday, sheriff's Capt. Ron Nelson
>>said.
>>
>>===
>>I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>>humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>>years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>>http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Well, since I got back into riding, I've increased my leg strength,
increased my cardiovascualr fitness level, shaved off 15 lbs and dropped
my blood pressure a fair bit. Funny, that seems like health benefits
to both me and my doctor!

Psycho Mike

Sorni wrote:
> Michael Dart wrote:
>> Mike Vandeman wrote:
>>> Nothing of import.
>>>

>> So...
>>
>> http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2275147

> He went out on a roll. (With no time to...spare.)
>
> Gotta split before the clock /strikes/ 12,
>
> Gutter Bill

Nice to know I can set 'em up so you can hit 'em outta the park!

LOL!

Mike

On 31 Dec 2005 08:39:07 -0800, "Veloise" <[email protected]> wrote:

..LeeD wrote:
..> People die from mountain lion attacks while hiking in the hills, too.
..> Hiking is bad for your health.
..> People die when they WALK into hospitals, and get carried out as
..> cadavers. Hospitals are bad for your health.
..> People even just die while living. Living is bad for MikeVandeman's
..> health!!!!
..
..Or bowling.
..http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...20252.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines
..
..What a way to go. Hospital bed, hospice, DNR, living will? Or with your
..last moments enjoying what you like to do?

Really? There are good ways to die? Very funny.

..--Karen D.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:47:36 GMT, Michael Halliwell <[email protected]>
wrote:

..Dan wrote:
..> Ah,
..> Mike.
..> I havn't been here for a couple 2-3 years. Nice to see nothing changes!!
..>
..> Jack Norman
..> Riding for life!
..>
..>
..>
..> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
..> news:[email protected]...
..>
..>>http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/oj/article/0,1375,VCS_168_4351767,00.html:
..>>
[...]
..>>===
..>>I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
..>>humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
..>>years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..>>
..>>http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
..>
..>
..>
..
..Well, since I got back into riding, I've increased my leg strength,
..increased my cardiovascualr fitness level, shaved off 15 lbs and dropped
..my blood pressure a fair bit. Funny, that seems like health benefits
..to both me and my doctor!

Not due to mountain biking. You could have done exactly the same, without
destroying nature. There's NO good reason to mountain bike.

..Psycho Mike

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Really? There are good ways to die? Very funny.

Seems like it, given your evident glee at the death of any mountain
biker.

Let's see if anyone laughs when you die, shall we?

--
Guy

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

> There's NO good reason to mountain bike.

As you've been told before, there are /many/ good reasons to mountain
bike, it's just that you prefer a different way of damaging habitat so
you refuse to accept other people's judgment of what constitutes good.
Justa s you refuse to accept the judgment of the wilderness protection
agencies that mountain biking is not an especial threat (unlike
wildfires caused by hikers camping).

--
Guy

news:1h8hizd.kj5x7e1g8rfy8N%[email protected]...
> Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Really? There are good ways to die? Very funny.

> Seems like it, given your evident glee at the death of any mountain
> biker.
>
> Let's see if anyone laughs when you die, shall we?
>
> --
> Guy

OK, there aren't any really good ways to die, but there are preferred ways
to die. In one's own bed in a ripe old age, for instance. But some people
are dead and still walking around. I'm having to deal with that in another
forum right now.

Charles of Kankakee

Charles <[email protected]> wrote:

> OK, there aren't any really good ways to die, but there are preferred ways
> to die. In one's own bed in a ripe old age, for instance. But some people
> are dead and still walking around. I'm having to deal with that in another
> forum right now.

Vandeman is only dead from the neck up...

--
Guy

news:1h8hjxo.1ql9v1h1rzu1yjN%[email protected]...
> Charles <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> OK, there aren't any really good ways to die, but there are preferred
>> ways
>> to die. In one's own bed in a ripe old age, for instance. But some
>> people
>> are dead and still walking around. I'm having to deal with that in
>> another
>> forum right now.

> Vandeman is only dead from the neck up...
>
> --
> Guy

So is the person in the other forum . . . So they're both imitating Rob
Reiner?

I was hoping to find a nice disccusion about bicycles over here. I'm 48,
and broke my hip 3 years back, so I can't use my bike since I can't get my
leg over the bar. Seriously considering getting a girl's bike so I can ride
again.

Charles of Kankakee