So Much for Mountain Biking's Alleged "Health Benefit"

news:1h8hjxo.1ql9v1h1rzu1yjN%[email protected]...
> Charles <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> OK, there aren't any really good ways to die, but there are preferred
>> ways
>> to die. In one's own bed in a ripe old age, for instance. But some
>> people
>> are dead and still walking around. I'm having to deal with that in
>> another
>> forum right now.

> Vandeman is only dead from the neck up...
>
> --
> Guy

So, do you personally know Zaphoid Beeblebrox, or are you just a fan of the
5 book trilogy?

Charles of Kankakee

> On 31 Dec 2005 08:39:07 -0800, "Veloise" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> .LeeD wrote:

> .What a way to go. Hospital bed, hospice, DNR, living will? Or with your
> .last moments enjoying what you like to do?
>
> Really? There are good ways to die?

At the age of 102, after a full day of mountain biking, an evening meal
with a fine ale, and a night of pleasuring a nubile 20 year old woman, you
die just as the final act is consummated.

At least that would be how I'd like to go.

"Charles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1h8hjxo.1ql9v1h1rzu1yjN%[email protected]...
> > Charles <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> OK, there aren't any really good ways to die, but there are preferred
> >> ways
> >> to die. In one's own bed in a ripe old age, for instance. But some
> >> people
> >> are dead and still walking around. I'm having to deal with that in
> >> another
> >> forum right now.

> > Vandeman is only dead from the neck up...
> >
> > --
> > Guy

> So is the person in the other forum . . . So they're both imitating Rob
> Reiner?
>
> I was hoping to find a nice disccusion about bicycles over here. I'm 48,
> and broke my hip 3 years back, so I can't use my bike since I can't get my
> leg over the bar. Seriously considering getting a girl's bike so I can

ride
> again.
>
> Charles of Kankakee

OK Charles, Here is some nice discussion--no bs. If you don't like to think
of yourself as riding a 'girl's' bike, call it a step-thru frame or U-frame,
as some bike makers, such as Breezer do.

Max

Guy wrote:
> Your evident glee in the death of a fellow human being (well, at least
> the deceased was a human being, the jury is still out on you)...

Now that's funny.

--Karen D.

"Max Penn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Charles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:1h8hjxo.1ql9v1h1rzu1yjN%[email protected]...

>> > Vandeman is only dead from the neck up...
>> >
>> > --
>> > Guy

>> So is the person in the other forum . . . So they're both imitating Rob
>> Reiner?
>>
>> I was hoping to find a nice disccusion about bicycles over here. I'm 48,
>> and broke my hip 3 years back, so I can't use my bike since I can't get
>> my
>> leg over the bar. Seriously considering getting a girl's bike so I can

> ride
>> again.
>>
>> Charles of Kankakee
>>

> OK Charles, Here is some nice discussion--no bs. If you don't like to
> think
> of yourself as riding a 'girl's' bike, call it a step-thru frame or
> U-frame,
> as some bike makers, such as Breezer do.
>
> Max

I guess just so long as it isn't pink or lavender or teal . . .

Charles

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 08:14:10 -0600, "Charles" <[email protected]> said
in <[email protected]>:

>So, do you personally know Zaphoid Beeblebrox, or are you just a fan of the
>5 book trilogy?

I've been a fan since before the books :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 08:12:23 -0600, "Charles" <[email protected]> said
in <[email protected]>:

>I was hoping to find a nice disccusion about bicycles over here. I'm 48,
>and broke my hip 3 years back, so I can't use my bike since I can't get my
>leg over the bar. Seriously considering getting a girl's bike so I can ride
>again.

rec.bicycles.misc is probably better for that, Vandeman has pretty
much killed rec.bicycles.soc with his relentless trolling.

As it happens there are loads of good bikes with step-through frames,
the New Series Moulton is one of the best and most advanced upright
bikes in the world and that's a small-wheeled easy to mount bike. The
Bike Friday is another. Or you could get a recumbent :)

Charles wrote:

> So, do you personally know Zaphoid Beeblebrox, or are you just a fan of the
> 5 book trilogy?

That's "Zaphod Beeblebrox." And the original BBC dramatizations - what
Adams originally was aiming for - are far superior to the books, the
video series or the so-called movie.

Pete H

> On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 08:14:10 -0600, "Charles" <[email protected]> said
> in <[email protected]>:
>
>>So, do you personally know Zaphoid Beeblebrox, or are you just a fan of
>>the
>>5 book trilogy?

> I've been a fan since before the books :)
>
> Guy
> --
> May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
>
> 85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

What did you think of the movie this last year? I miss the Beeb 6-episode
version.

Charles

Why do I remember it as Zaphoid instead of Zaphod?

The movie has Trillian as a brunette, I always pictured her as sort of
blonde . . .

I've seen parts of the BBC dramatizations, but only parts. It's like Dr.
Who. The Beeb started charging so much for it that the PBS stations
couldn't afford it anymore.

Charles
"pmhilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Charles wrote:
>>
>> So, do you personally know Zaphoid Beeblebrox, or are you just a fan of
>> the 5 book trilogy?

> That's "Zaphod Beeblebrox." And the original BBC dramatizations - what
> Adams originally was aiming for - are far superior to the books, the video
> series or the so-called movie.
>
> Pete H

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 04:38:33 -0600, "Charles" <[email protected]> said
in <[email protected]>:

>What did you think of the movie this last year?

I didn't see it, too many people whose opinion I trust told me it was
****. My son didn't think much of it, he prefers the radio series
too.

Charles wrote:
> Why do I remember it as Zaphoid instead of Zaphod?
>
> The movie has Trillian as a brunette, I always pictured her as sort of
> blonde . . .

The actress who played Trillian in the BBC radio & TV series was blonde.

Do a Google on THHG or search eBay; the CDs of the original radio series
can be had for not too much moolah.

Pete

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>>What did you think of the movie this last year?

> I didn't see it, too many people whose opinion I trust told me it was
> ****. My son didn't think much of it, he prefers the radio series
> too.
>
> Guy

You were well-served by their opinions. The radio series was brilliant
satire & well done. All else is spinoffs & lame adaptations, even Adams'
own writing. Some things just don't play on the page - or screen, for
that matter. The mind's eye is a marvelous venue.

Pete H

> Not due to mountain biking. You could have done exactly the same, without
> destroying nature. There's NO good reason to mountain bike.

Based on your own statements about human incursion into wildlife, there is
NO good reason to hike. Yet you still do so. Within the past week, you have
defended potential murder (piano wire on trails) which equates to the same
terrorist mentality exhibited by cowardly extremists convincing others to
kill for their perverted viewpoint. You contradict yourself by your own
actions. You describe off-road cyclists as careless carriers of destruction,
yet you condone piano wire across a trail to kill or main anybody or any
creature passing by. (A hiker or jogger or even a deer running from any
predator, for instance...) You delight in stories of injury or death if they
can be even remotely associated with the activity of cycling off-road.
However, you conveniently exclude news items of hikers' injury or death. You
are no different than any other extremist. The fact you are too cowardly to
admit it goes even further to prove it.

In article <[email protected]>, pmhilton <[email protected]> wrote:
>Charles wrote:
>> Why do I remember it as Zaphoid instead of Zaphod?
>>
>> The movie has Trillian as a brunette, I always pictured her as sort of
>> blonde . . .

TV.
>The actress who played Trillian in the BBC radio & TV series was blonde.

Adams didn't want her to be a blonde. He had specific well defined
reasons.

>Do a Google on THHG or search eBay; the CDs of the original radio series

The doman is HHGG as in h2g2.com
>can be had for not too much moolah.

--

"pmhilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Charles wrote:
>> Why do I remember it as Zaphoid instead of Zaphod?
>>
>> The movie has Trillian as a brunette, I always pictured her as sort of
>> blonde . . .

> The actress who played Trillian in the BBC radio & TV series was blonde.
>
> Do a Google on THHG or search eBay; the CDs of the original radio series
> can be had for not too much moolah.
>
> Pete

Well in the books, just the words D.A. uses to picture her say BLONDE in big
letters.

I've met too many women that met the discription. (Now I think I'm dating
myself again. And I don't look good in green chiffon. Maybe I ought to try
pink?) Remember Mrs. Wiggins from the old Carol Burnett show?

Charles of Kankakee

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:49:01 -0500, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]> wrote:

..>
..> Not due to mountain biking. You could have done exactly the same, without
..> destroying nature. There's NO good reason to mountain bike.
..>
..Based on your own statements about human incursion into wildlife, there is
..NO good reason to hike. Yet you still do so.

But I don't advocate or promote hiking. You guys aggressively promote mountain
biking.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:42:15 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
said in <[email protected]>:

>.Based on your own statements about human incursion into wildlife, there is
>.NO good reason to hike. Yet you still do so.

>But I don't advocate or promote hiking. You guys aggressively promote mountain
>biking.

Really? Do point to the place were I have advocated or promoted
mountain biking. Defending it against hypocritical lying
habitat-destroying crapflooding bigots like you is not the same thing
at all!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

> On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:49:01 -0500, "S Curtiss"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> .>
> .> Not due to mountain biking. You could have done exactly the
> same, without
> .> destroying nature. There's NO good reason to mountain bike.
> .>
> .Based on your own statements about human incursion into
> wildlife, there is
> .NO good reason to hike. Yet you still do so.
>
> But I don't advocate or promote hiking. You guys aggressively
> promote mountain
> biking.

Tell us mickey, how many animals are killed by mountain bikers?
Have a clue? A guess?