So my bike got trashed...once again. Help?

pfe

Aug 6, 2006
In April I decided I wanted to get a bike and my girlfriend bought me one for my birthday just four days later. It is a '79 Bavarian, still has the original dealer tags from Munich, etc. Pretty spiffy for a first bike. Anyways, I'm a college student and I ride my bike five miles to work every day and back. About a month ago a guy rammed the back end of my bike and bent the steel rims. The wheel is now as trued as a steel rim can be and I started riding it again. Today, while I'm at work, some bashes off the front light, deflates my tires, unscrews the wheel and chain guards, and attempts to steal a wheel. Needless to say this is depressing and with missing screws I had to walk home. Catching up to the point of this thread though: I no longer want to wander around with this bike. It has become more of a sentimental thing than anything else.

Now, on craigslist there is a $30 Raleigh Record for sale (matches my girlfriends bike) and it says it is in good condition, just needs some wires changed out and a tune-up. I wanted to swap out the wires myself but I don't know where to buy the parts online, which brand would be best, and what I need to look for. Do you have any suggestions on brands and reasons why as well as online maintenance manuals?

Much appreciated in advance!

pfe said:
Now, on craigslist there is a $30 Raleigh Record for sale (matches my girlfriends bike) and it says it is in good condition, just needs some wires changed out and a tune-up. I wanted to swap out the wires myself but I don't know where to buy the parts online, which brand would be best, and what I need to look for. Do you have any suggestions on brands and reasons why as well as online maintenance manuals?

Much appreciated in advance!
If by wires you mean brake and/or shifting cables, I wouldn't be concerned with online. Go to the local Walmart, Kmart, Target etc and buy a set of replacement cables for under $10. Includes everything needed to replace all four cables on most bikes. They may not be as nice as $45 sets, but they work adequately.

Park Tool and Sheldon Brown's sites are good sources for most simple bicycle maintenance.

dgregory57 said:
If by wires you mean brake and/or shifting cables, I wouldn't be concerned with online. Go to the local Walmart, Kmart, Target etc and buy a set of replacement cables for under $10. Includes everything needed to replace all four cables on most bikes. They may not be as nice as $45 sets, but they work adequately.

Park Tool and Sheldon Brown's sites are good sources for most simple bicycle maintenance.
Just what I needed to hear, thank you kindly.