So near, but yet...

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Mikefule, Apr 18, 2006.

  1. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    I don't get to ride much these days, but I had a lovely ride tonight.
    Pretty much one of my usual routes, but with a short section I'd not
    ridden before (Joe: that's the path round the back of the park and
    ride, near Clifton Bridge), and with one or two of the paths "improved"
    over the winter with rolled grit:( .

    Computer shows 16.03 miles (25.8 km), and 1:38.34. I make that 9.8mph
    - so near but yet so far! (15.76 kph)

    Given the varied terrain, and my general lack of riding fitness, I'm
    pretty pleased with that. Top speed recorded as 13 mph. This on the
    700c x 28mm tyre, with 110 mm cranks.

    Saw two water voles - nearly ran one of them over as it scurried across
    in front of me. Lovely sightings of herons, and (unusually for the
    riverbank) bluetits. (Bluetits are the Chantelle of the ornithological
    world: quite pretty, but rather common.)

    Too busy to write it up in detail, but all the usual tosh: suspension
    bridge, blah blah, harmonica bridge, blah blah, marina, nature
    reserve... etc. :rolleyes:

    One unusual incident: I was wearing my cycling top which has a front
    zip that goes down to the navel. Hammering through the nature reserve
    on broken ballast at about 11 mph, I hit a swarm of flies. Flies in my
    eyes, flies splattering all over my sweaty chest - so, quick as a
    flash, I zipped up my top to keep the flies out, and trapped my chest
    hair in the zip.

    Flat out on a skinny tyre with short cranks, on rough ground, eyes
    hurting, can't see a thing, desperately trying to undo the zip and free
    the hairs with a minimum of pain, with a three foot drop down through
    spiky undergrowth into deep dirty water on each side of the path. How
    I laughed*.

    *Afterwards.

    --
    Mikefule

    Could you tell a wise man by the way he speaks or spells?
    Is this more important than the stories that he tells,
    And call a man a fool, if for wealth he doesn't strive?
    Then mister you're a better man than I

  2. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    UniBrier wrote:
    > <<Blue tits and chest hair>> Would have been a real attention-getter for
    > a thread title.

    Tut! Such smut! I would never write such a thing. Ladies read this,
    you know.;) ;) ;)

    --
    Mikefule

    Could you tell a wise man by the way he speaks or spells?
    Is this more important than the stories that he tells,
    And call a man a fool, if for wealth he doesn't strive?
    Then mister you're a better man than I

  3. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Mikefule wrote:
    > ...quick as a flash, I zipped up my top to keep the flies out, and
    > trapped my chest hair in the zip.
    >
    > Flat out on a skinny tyre with short cranks, on rough ground, eyes
    > hurting, can't see a thing, desperately trying to undo the zip and free
    > the hairs with a minimum of pain, with a three foot drop down through
    > spiky undergrowth into deep dirty water on each side of the path. How
    > I laughed*.

    That would be the Ashton-Pill path, yes?

    That made me wince, and I don't even have chest hair. But I /am/
    familiar with the path, and the thought of riding along there blind is
    quite frightening. How slippery were the muddy bits today?

    Anyway folks, here's an opportunity to replicate part of a Mikefule
    ride in front of hundreds of wheel-wasters. The path features in most
    of the ride options for Bristol's Biggest Bike Ride, which this year is
    on 25 June:
    http://tinyurl.com/lnlmb
    leads to:
    <http://www.bristol-city.gov.uk/ccm/content/Transport-Streets/Walking-Cycling/bristols-biggest-bike-ride.en;jsessionid=50ACAE8212E7E1EA27E3B8989B0ED900>

    I've done it before by Coker:
    http://tinyurl.com/otnk2

    But this year will, as usual, be on my Street Machine towing at least
    one of the kids.

    --
    Danny Colyer

    http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
    Subscribe to PlusNet http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/
    Danny Colyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11637

  4. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > That would be the Ashton-Pill path, yes?...
    > ...How slippery were the muddy bits today?

    That was the path through Attenborough Nature Reserve, Attenborough,
    Notts. The muddy bits were dry and firm. The loose ballast was broken
    limestone used to fill the deeper craters.

    --
    Mikefule

    Could you tell a wise man by the way he speaks or spells?
    Is this more important than the stories that he tells,
    And call a man a fool, if for wealth he doesn't strive?
    Then mister you're a better man than I

  5. irvinegr

    irvinegr Guest

  6. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    irvinegr wrote:
    > where u riding a 36"er?

    <<This on the 700c x 28mm tyre, with 110 mm cranks.>>

    No, the Coker seldom goes out these days. The 700c with the skinny
    high pressure slick is just so much fun.:D

    --
    Mikefule

    Could you tell a wise man by the way he speaks or spells?
    Is this more important than the stories that he tells,
    And call a man a fool, if for wealth he doesn't strive?
    Then mister you're a better man than I

  7. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

  8. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Mikefule wrote:
    > That was the path through Attenborough Nature Reserve, Attenborough,
    > Notts. The muddy bits were dry and firm. The loose ballast was broken
    > limestone used to fill the deeper craters.

    Hmmm. I must have been confused by the mention of "Clifton Bridge",
    "suspension bridge" and "drop down through spiky undergrowth into deep
    dirty water". I didn't think it was your usual stomping ground, but it
    all sounds so much like the Ashton-Pill path, which passes beneath the
    Clifton Suspension Bridge.

    Two big differences, which I might have picked up on if I'd read your
    OP more thoroughly, are that the drop into deep dirty water from the
    path I know is a *lot* more than 3' and that the drop is only on one
    side of the path.

    --
    Danny Colyer

    http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
    Subscribe to PlusNet http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/
    Danny Colyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11637

  9. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

  10. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    joemarshall wrote:
    > Clifton suspension bridge nottingham http://tinyurl.com/h999m

    Well what do they wanna go giving two bridges the same name for? That
    could confuse a stupid person.

    --
    Danny Colyer

    http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
    Subscribe to PlusNet http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/
    Danny Colyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11637

  11. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    Mikefule wrote:
    > I zipped up my top to keep the flies out, and trapped my chest hair in
    > the zip.

    Just be greatful that you weren't assaulted by flies whilst "watering
    the plants" and you had to zip up your riding shorts in a hurry! :p
    [image: http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes12/somethingmary281.jpeg]

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  12. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

    o ny gosh... ive seen that movie but i cant name it...

    --
    manon1wheel

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GizmoDuck
    I yanked on my foot and straigtened it and stuck the bone back into the
    skin.
    Gild:
    This is going to be in someone's signature before too very long.
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

  13. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    cathwood wrote:

    > Just had a fun half hour free-mounting practice myself.

    Who was it who said, "You're such a swot"?:D :p

    --
    Mikefule

    Could you tell a wise man by the way he speaks or spells?
    Is this more important than the stories that he tells,
    And call a man a fool, if for wealth he doesn't strive?
    Then mister you're a better man than I

  14. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    joemarshall wrote:
    > Clifton suspension bridge nottingham

    I don't know of a Clifton suspension bridge in Nottingham,
    Joe.:confused:

    Clifton Bridge is the pair of road bridges where the A52 crosses the
    Trent. Nottingham's answer to Spaghetti Junction.

    The suspension bridge is a pedestrian bridge a mile or two down river,
    near to Trent bridge.

    --
    Mikefule

    Could you tell a wise man by the way he speaks or spells?
    Is this more important than the stories that he tells,
    And call a man a fool, if for wealth he doesn't strive?
    Then mister you're a better man than I

  15. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    Mikefule wrote:
    > I don't know of a Clifton suspension bridge in Nottingham,
    > Joe.:confused:
    >
    > Clifton Bridge is the pair of road bridges where the A52 crosses the
    > Trent. Nottingham's answer to Spaghetti Junction.
    >
    > The suspension bridge is a pedestrian bridge a mile or two down river,
    > near to Trent bridge.

    You're right, I could have sworn Clifton Bridge was a suspension bridge
    too in the middle bit, but it appears not to be, according to the
    internet it's a 'box section cantilever bridge'.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

  16. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    joemarshall wrote:
    > You're right, I could have sworn Clifton Bridge was a suspension bridge
    > too in the middle bit, but it appears not to be, according to the
    > internet it's a 'box section cantilever bridge'.
    >
    > Joe

    Interesting. I hadn't realised it was cantilevered.

    --
    Mikefule

    Could you tell a wise man by the way he speaks or spells?
    Is this more important than the stories that he tells,
    And call a man a fool, if for wealth he doesn't strive?
    Then mister you're a better man than I

  17. underdog

    underdog Guest

    UniBrier wrote:
    > I once rode my road bike through a Honey Bee swarm with pain ensuing.
    > Would have preferred flies.

    I did that once. Not exactly the most fun thing I've had happen to
    me:eek: .

    --
    underdog

    'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
    tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  18. loosejello

    loosejello Guest

    manon1wheel wrote:
    > o ny gosh... ive seen that movie but i cant name it...

    I believe it's "There's something about Mary", but I could be wrong.
    That scene was quite painful!:eek:

    --
    loosejello
    loosejello's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8295