So new to cycling that I don't even have a bike yet- help!

blueeyedgirl

Jun 14, 2010
I would really like to start biking. I am currently training for a marathon & I think it would be great cross-training, and a great way to get around town as well. I'm not sure what I want/need in a bike. I think it would be fun to go on trails, but I'd primarily be on roads. So should I be looking at hybrids?

Also of note, I am a 25 year old female, and I am 5ft tall and weigh under 100lbs. Do I need a children's bike? :eek:

Instead of hybrids, you might consider a cross bike, something like the Bianchi Cross Concept. They'd serve you well on both roads & trails. If desired, for better on-road performance, you could keep a second set of wheels set up with road rims/tires and swap daily as your training/riding schedule dictates.

Why not a singlespeed road bike? It would be a more athletic choice, and some pros train on singlespeeds.

blueeyedgirl said:
I would really like to start biking. I am currently training for a marathon & I think it would be great cross-training, and a great way to get around town as well. I'm not sure what I want/need in a bike. I think it would be fun to go on trails, but I'd primarily be on roads. So should I be looking at hybrids?

Hybrids are kind of jacks of all trades, masters of none -- so something like the Cannondale Quick or Trek FX might be what you want. However, if you start to get into road riding, you might end up wanting a road bike (happened that way for me).

blueeyedgirl said:
Also of note, I am a 25 year old female, and I am 5ft tall and weigh under 100lbs. Do I need a children's bike? :eek:
Everyone should have a bike that fits. Do an online fit calculator or two to figure out what ballpark your frame size should be in.

Ask your local bike shop(s) about Women Specific Designed (WSD) bikes. I know that Trek makes WSD bikes in several different models and some of the other brands may as well.

BeginnerCycling said:
Hybrids are kind of jacks of all trades, masters of none -- so something like the Cannondale Quick or Trek FX might be what you want. However, if you start to get into road riding, you might end up wanting a road bike (happened that way for me).

The 700C tire size that these come with are available in a wide range of tread patterns and widths. You can get more aggressive "knobby" tires for trails, "slicks" for street use, and a few things in between. The widths also run from narrow to wide. You can even maintain two sets of wheels, each with a different type of tire for different styles of riding. Quick release hubs make it easy to switch back and forth.

I kind of like cyclocross bikes with drop bars ...
Road Bikes | Cyclocross | Cross Bicycles by Motobecane USA | Motobecane Fantom CX Cyclocross | Save up to 60% off New bikes with full warranties

blueeyedgirl said:

Look into women's bikes (WSD). They are basically the same as their male counterparts, but smaller. The frame is shorter, the reach to the handlebars is shorter, the height is shorter, etc. You do not need a children's bike.

There are a lot of good bikes out there, but you did not mention what your budget was. Also, consider that the purchase of a bicycle is only the scratching the surface. You will need to purchase a helmet, and it's a good idea to get a few tools; at the very least a pair of tire levers and a portable air-pump. Then, there are the gloves, proper wear (meaning spandex), bicycle rack, etc.

Before asking about the spandex, I'll just say that when I started riding I was totally against it, but believe me, it makes a huge difference in COMFORT. There's no way in Hell I'll be seen in public wearing spandex, so I bought shorts with a spandex liner. Spandex doesn't have thick seams, so you won't suffer from chaffing in uncomfortable regions on long rides. After riding 10-15 miles, take my word for it, you'll be begging for spandex.

As a beginner, the bike shop itself is more important than the brand. Most bikes by most manufacturers are very comparable to each other in price ranges under $2000. Above $2000, that's where big differences are made between competing manufacturers. If you're looking into entry level bikes or bikes with some good components, the bike that fits the best is going to be the best. It won't matter whether you buy a GT, Giant, Cannondale, Specialized, etc.

One other thing...DO NOT BUY A "WALLY-WORLD SPECIAL!"

GT Fanatic said:
Look into women's bikes (WSD). They are basically the same as their male counterparts, but smaller. The frame is shorter, the reach to the handlebars is shorter, the height is shorter, etc. You do not need a children's bike.

A woman's saddle is also something to look into. Terry and Serfas offer them, and they are shorter in length than saddles designed for men. Might be more comfortable for you, and they provide fewer hinderances to circulation.

cycleheimer said:
A woman's saddle is also something to look into. Terry and Serfas offer them, and they are shorter in length than saddles designed for men. Might be more comfortable for you, and they provide fewer hinderances to circulation.

Good call. My wife is 5'7-5'8 and we ride the same sized bikes; Medium GTs. I have a 2010 Avalanche 1.0 and she has a 2010 Avalanche 3.0 Disc. Of course, the OP did mention she is pretty short.