So sad =(

Pretzel

Jun 15, 2007
So I'm new to the forums here, and new to cycling. I bought my first road bike, a Trek 2100, about a week and a half ago.

Yesterday, I take my bike out for its third ride. Where I live there is a nice bike path. It runs for about 60 miles, and every year they pave more path. Nice, I know.

Anyway.. so this is what happens. No... I don't crash. No... I didn't forget to clip out, and fall like a baffoon. Instead... at the last 2 miles of my 34 mile ride, my rear tire gets a flat. What turns out to be the cause? It was a rusty nail. Right through the entire tire. In one side, out the other. It was probably also, the ONLY nail on the entire bike trail.

What makes matters worse... I didn't have a tube, or anything. So there I am... walking the last couple miles of my ride barefoot (I didn't want to ruin my socks! =D). A half a dozen blisters later, and many awkward looks from the passing riders, I finally make it back to my car.

Blech. What an introduction to road biking!

Zach

Pretzel said:
So I'm new to the forums here, and new to cycling. I bought my first road bike, a Trek 2100, about a week and a half ago.
Zach
Freak accident aside, how do you like that bike? Is it really a whole lot better than the 1500 or 1600?

saintsfan: The bike is great. Since I've new to cycling, I don't know all the juicey details, but it rides smooth, and handles wonderfully. In the future, I just might look into get a gel seat.

OrangePatriot: Actually, a couple guys stopped and offered their tube, but I turned them down since I wasn't that far away from my car. Not to mention, I have never changed a tube... I didn't want to look more like an idiot by not knowing how to change it. =( Also... right now I'm living in, Muncie, Indiana... so I don't know what the LI bikers are like. =D

Although due to some personal matters... I will be living in Muncie for a while longer.

You wouldn't look like an idiot. None of us were born knowing how to fix a flat. I know there are a lot of snobbish cyclists out there who would scoff at your lack of knowledge, but my experience is that those who are willing to donate a tube would also be willing to donate the time to help you change it.

Thanks for the heads up! I just got back from my LBS. The guys there showed me how remove the wheel, and change the tube out. I also picked up a bag, CO2 pump, and tire lever. So next time I should be ok.

Unfortunately though, I had to get a new tire as well.

Pretzel said:
Thanks for the heads up! I just got back from my LBS. The guys there showed me how remove the wheel, and change the tube out. I also picked up a bag, CO2 pump, and tire lever. So next time I should be ok.

Hey Pretzel. what's up? I have that bike, too. It's a 2004. I love it. Sounds like you're going through some of the same things I went through when I starting cycling. It's a great sport. ON the gel seat: Did you mean a saddle with gel padding built in, or a gel seat cover? I tried a gel saddle cover when I was a newbie and didn't like it; too much movement and sliding. If don't have a pair of cycling shorts, you should get some. Sounds like you just have some "beginner's butt".
Ken.

I didn't start getting flats until I started carrying a new tube and pump with me.

Not good, but some guy on the other end of the trail is thanking you right now for saving him from a 34+ mile walk home. :)

No.. not a seat cover. A gel seat... I haven't researched any as of now. Well... it could be "beginner's butt". The seat I have right now is rock solid compared to my older communter bikes that I used to ride. But time will tell... perhaps I'll get immune to the pain.

I will say.. first couple rides I didn't have riding shorts... now that was PAINFUL!

OrangePatriot said:
You wouldn't look like an idiot. None of us were born knowing how to fix a flat. I know there are a lot of snobbish cyclists out there who would scoff at your lack of knowledge, but my experience is that those who are willing to donate a tube would also be willing to donate the time to help you change it.
+++1 on this. I would never scoff at a new cyclist who did not know how to change a flat. We all have to learn sometime.

Cheers,

Brian

baj32161 said:
+++1 on this. I would never scoff at a new cyclist who did not know how to change a flat. We all have to learn sometime.

Most people are pretty willing to lend a hand to a fellow cyclist, new or not.

If I see a rider stopped on the side of the road I'll always ask if they are ok as I ride past. One time a guy on a brand new bike asked if I could lend him a hand. He had a flat which included about a 2 inch cut in the casing of the tire and he'd never changed a tire before.

I didn't scoff while helping even though I was a bit incredulous that you could be on about $7,500 of primo road bike and had never changed a tire before (or it was your first bike for that matter). I had to McGyver the tire using a $10 note (supplied by him) between the tube and the inner casing of the tire. I didn't want to put too much pressure in the tire in case the tube bulged through the note (about 60psi). He said he lived about 15 kilometers away and I told him to ride slowly and very carefully and essentially limp home (but better than walking).

I did scoff about 30 minutes later after I'd turned around on the end of the loop and headed back the way I'd come to see him hurtling down a hill doing about 60+km/h passing me in the opposite direction and heading into a series of fairly tight corners. I was waiting to hear the horrible sound of carbon on concrete.

--brett

If I had a nickel for every newbie that I taught to change a flat....! But ya know what? I never saw them stuck on the side of the road again, not knowing what to do!:D

Pretzel said:

Unfortunately though, I had to get a new tire as well.
May I suggest that you also add a tweezer of some kind to dig the glass or thorn out of your tire, and a little bottle of diluted dish detergent to you tire kit. The detergent can make getting that last bit of tire on to the rim a lot easier

p38lightning said:
May I suggest that you also add a tweezer of some kind to dig the glass or thorn out of your tire, and a little bottle of diluted dish detergent to you tire kit. The detergent can make getting that last bit of tire on to the rim a lot easier

I like the tweezer one!! Thanks!!

Pretzel said:
No.. not a seat cover. A gel seat... I haven't researched any as of now. Well... it could be "beginner's butt". The seat I have right now is rock solid compared to my older communter bikes that I used to ride. But time will tell... perhaps I'll get immune to the pain.

I will say.. first couple rides I didn't have riding shorts... now that was PAINFUL!

I have found that too much gel in a seat is just as bad as not enough. One seat I purchased had a real good amount of gel in it. I couldn't get comfy on it. It felt like I was sinking into it. The seat I have now has some gel. That coupled with my cycling shorts gives me just the right fit. everyone is different though.

p38lightning said:
I remember changing a tube and forgot about that last bit of tire. I pumped the tire up and was almost done when it exploded. Sounded like a shotgun and scared the daylights out of me.

Doug

I've seen two cyclists and I couldn't help them. They both had flats and were riding on their rims, but they were also wearing hoodies, sunglasses, and smoking cannabis.

I've helped other cyclists in need though...

djrocker257 said:
I remember changing a tube and forgot about that last bit of tire. I pumped the tire up and was almost done when it exploded. Sounded like a shotgun and scared the daylights out of me.

Doug
ha! i thought i was the only one that had done that. in fact, i was bending down while pumping it up and it exploded right beside my head! my wife, standing 20 feet away, complained about the noise and said it made her ears ring. i told her, "HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL! MY HEAD WAS RIGHT NEXT TO IT!!!!!"

heh.