So, so close...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chris, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    So I work tradeshows - not the shows themselves, but the set-up and dismantling of the exhibits.
    Most of the exhibiting companies have a few give-aways like pens and hats, some have cool stuff like
    juggling sets (from a mortgage company...go figure) or high-end personal electronics. Sometimes, we
    see companies raffling off Harleys, laptops, vacations, etc. Today, however, as I waited for 4:00 so
    I could rip the graphics off the backwall of my booth, I watched a guy walk out of another booth
    with a freaking Moots hardtail.

    Now mind you, this wasn't just any guy. This was your balding, stubby, middle-aged,
    pay-someone-else-to-cut-my-grass-that's-too-much-like-exercise kind of guy. I'm thinking, "he has no
    idea what he's got, and there is no way he's gonna want to fly back to DesMoines or wherever with
    that bike." I smelled an opening.

    I circled around the aisle, and approached the guy. "Wow man, cool bike, did you just win that?" I
    layed the smalltown kid dopiness on thick. "Um, yeah, I did...." was his best reply. "I was checking
    it out earlier at that booth, I really like bikes. Did you want to keep it, or would you maybe get
    rid of it?" "I don't know, do you know if it's worth anything?" Oh man, this is gonna be sweet, I'm
    thinking. "Well, I know it's new, and all the parts are Shimano, and I hear they're pretty good, and
    I was shoping for a bike. I could give you, like, $200." I didn't get a good look at the bike, I was
    trying not to drool in front of him, but $200 for the damn frame would have been a ridiculous deal.
    "Wow, $200. I didn't know the bike was that nice. Maybe I'll just give it to my daughter." HE DIDN'T
    KNOW IT WAS THAT NICE. It said "Moots" on the downtube, "Sid" on the fork, and some unappreciative
    girl in the middle of nowhere is gonna try to ride a 19" race hardtail that she and her father
    consider a glorified Huffy...because he didn't know the bike was any good. He walked away, and took
    the bike out of my life forever, confused that someone would try to buy a bike from him.

    I thought he could have been messing with me, but he was genuinely perplexed the whole time. Maybe
    if I'd have said $100, he'd have thought that was fair, and I'd have a badass bike. One thing I do
    know: if I were working in Vegas or Atlantic City that ride'd be mine. It's amazing how many guys
    lose plain tickets, college funds, mortgages, whatever to the blackjack tables.

    Anyway, I feel kind of sick that I came that close to that bike. Also, I feel kind of sick that feel
    kind of sick about not conning a guy out of a bike - but he wouldn't have appreciated it anyway.

    Chris

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > So I work tradeshows - not the shows themselves, but the set-up and dismantling of the exhibits.
    > Most of the exhibiting companies have a few give-aways like pens and hats, some have cool stuff
    > like juggling sets (from a mortgage company...go figure) or high-end personal electronics.
    > Sometimes, we see companies raffling off Harleys, laptops, vacations, etc. Today, however, as I
    > waited for 4:00 so I could rip the graphics off the backwall of my booth, I watched a guy walk out
    > of another booth with a freaking Moots hardtail.
    >
    > Now mind you, this wasn't just any guy. This was your balding, stubby, middle-aged,
    > pay-someone-else-to-cut-my-grass-that's-too-much-like-exercise kind of guy. I'm thinking, "he has
    > no idea what he's got, and there is no way he's gonna want to fly back to DesMoines or wherever
    > with that bike." I smelled an opening.
    <<snip>>
    > Anyway, I feel kind of sick that I came that close to that bike. Also, I feel kind of sick
    > that feel kind of sick about not conning a guy out of a bike - but he wouldn't have
    > appreciated it anyway.
    >
    > Chris

    You (premature) amateur! Next time try something like, "Damn, what a POS, it sure would be a pain is
    the ass to ship that thing back home; glad I only have this T-shirt and pen set to bring back!"

    --
    Slacker

  3. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    > So I work tradeshows - not the shows themselves, but the set-up and dismantling of the exhibits.
    > Most of the exhibiting companies have a few give-aways like pens and hats, some have cool stuff
    > like juggling sets
    (from
    > a mortgage company...go figure)

    Yeah, well if you have a mortgage you have to be really good at juggling your finances. So why not
    learn to juggle balls? (I already know how to juggle, I used to be a clown at kids parties.)

    Trentus

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Trentus <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > So I work tradeshows - not the shows themselves, but the set-up and dismantling of the exhibits.
    > > Most of the exhibiting companies have a
    few
    > > give-aways like pens and hats, some have cool stuff like juggling sets
    > (from
    > > a mortgage company...go figure)
    >
    > Yeah, well if you have a mortgage you have to be really good at juggling your finances. So why not
    > learn to juggle balls? (I already know how to juggle, I used to be a clown at kids parties.)
    >
    > Trentus

    So, now you're just a clown, heheheheh............ahem.

    Shaun aRe

  5. Chris says:

    <snip heartbreak>

    > but he wouldn't have appreciated it anyway.

    But hopefully his daughter will. ;-)

    Steve

  6. Trentus wrote:

    > Yeah, well if you have a mortgage you have to be really good at juggling your finances.

    Mortgage translated from its' latin roots means "Death Pledge"

    > So why not learn to juggle balls? (I already know how to juggle, I used to be a clown at kids
    > parties.)

    Ex-Bartender... used to juggle lemons and limes to try and pull better tips (before the movie
    Coctail came out.)

    --
    John G. http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm

  7. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    > So I work tradeshows - not the shows themselves, but the set-up and dismantling of the exhibits.
    > Most of the exhibiting companies have a few give-aways like pens and hats, some have cool stuff
    > like juggling sets (from a mortgage company...go figure) or high-end personal electronics.
    > Sometimes, we see companies raffling off Harleys, laptops, vacations, etc. Today, however, as I
    > waited for 4:00 so I could rip the graphics off the backwall of my booth, I watched a guy walk out
    > of another booth with a freaking Moots hardtail.
    <snip>
    > Anyway, I feel kind of sick that I came that close to that bike. Also, I feel kind of sick
    > that feel kind of sick about not conning a guy out of a bike - but he wouldn't have
    > appreciated it anyway.
    >
    > Chris

    I'd have jacked him, Seinfeld-grabbing-the-Schnitzer's-Marble-Rye-style.

    /s "Shut up you old bag!"

  8. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    > So I work tradeshows - not the shows themselves, but the set-up and dismantling of the exhibits.
    > Most of the exhibiting companies have a few give-aways like pens and hats, some have cool stuff
    > like juggling sets
    (from
    > a mortgage company...go figure) or high-end personal electronics. Sometimes, we see companies
    > raffling off Harleys, laptops, vacations, etc. Today, however, as I waited for 4:00 so I could rip
    > the graphics off the backwall of my booth, I watched a guy walk out of another booth with a
    > freaking Moots hardtail.
    >
    > Now mind you, this wasn't just any guy. This was your balding, stubby, middle-aged,
    pay-someone-else-to-cut-my-grass-that's-too-much-like-exercise
    > kind of guy. I'm thinking, "he has no idea what he's got, and there is no way he's gonna want to
    > fly back to DesMoines or wherever with that bike."
    > smelled an opening.
    >
    > I circled around the aisle, and approached the guy. "Wow man, cool bike, did you just win that?" I
    > layed the smalltown kid dopiness on thick. "Um, yeah, I did...." was his best reply. "I was
    > checking it out earlier at that booth, I really like bikes. Did
    you
    > want to keep it, or would you maybe get rid of it?" "I don't know, do you know if it's worth
    > anything?" Oh man, this is gonna be sweet, I'm thinking. "Well, I know it's new, and all the parts
    > are Shimano, and I hear they're pretty good, and I was shoping for a bike. I could give you, like,
    > $200." I didn't get a good look at the bike, I was trying not to drool in front
    of
    > him, but $200 for the damn frame would have been a ridiculous deal. "Wow, $200. I didn't know the
    > bike was that nice. Maybe I'll just give
    it
    > to my daughter." HE DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS THAT NICE. It said "Moots" on the downtube, "Sid" on the
    > fork, and some unappreciative girl in the middle of nowhere is gonna try to ride a 19" race
    > hardtail that she and her father consider a glorified Huffy...because he didn't know the bike was
    > any good.

    She's going to forget to lock it up, leave the garage door open, and it will be stolen before the
    end of the summer.

    > He walked away, and took the bike out of my life forever, confused that someone would try to buy a
    > bike from him.

    > I thought he could have been messing with me, but he was genuinely
    perplexed
    > the whole time.

    He still could have been messing with you. Salesmen are great actors, and they like to f*ck with
    people. It's their job, really.

    > Maybe if I'd have said $100, he'd have thought that was fair, and I'd have a badass bike.

    Naw. The moment you said word one about the bike, he knew he had something. I'm sure that other
    folks were oohing and aaahing over the bike at the show, too. He had to have some idea, even if he
    didn't know the cash value of the bike. I think $1,000 in cash (waved in his face) would have nabbed
    you a Moots.

    > One thing I do know: if I were working in Vegas or Atlantic City that ride'd be mine. It's amazing
    > how many guys lose plain tickets, college funds, mortgages, whatever to the blackjack tables.

    How does that work, exactly? Where do I go in Atlantic City to trade in my life insurance policy or
    mortgage for a stack of tokens? Do they negotiate those documents at the cashier's window?
    (rhetorical question) Is there special curtain behind which fat, well-dressed men sit around a
    table, smoking smuggled Cuban cigars and negotiating with hapless dupes for their excessive losses?

    > Anyway, I feel kind of sick that I came that close to that bike. Also, I feel kind of sick
    > that feel kind of sick about not conning a guy out of a bike - but he wouldn't have
    > appreciated it anyway.

    Man, I *really* feel your pain. It hurts just to read about it.

    Barry