so, *technically* my new bike is too big for me

friendzonehero

Mar 25, 2008
i'm 6'2" and have a 24" frame giant yukon, which is recommended for riders 6'4" to 6'6"

the bike store guy who "fitted" me for it looked me over and said i should go with the 24" instead of the 22" because i seemed to be about 6'4" to him.

well i trusted his judgement and went with the bigger frame (although i knew i wasn't actually 6'4") and i can ride it just fine, but sometimes i wish i hadn't listened to him because my last bike was significantly smaller and i kinda miss that feeling of just dominating the bike.

it's too late to return this new one now, so i keep wanting to justify my choice and find some advantages to having a bigger frame.

but are there any?

i'm sort of a perfectionist so this has been bugging me for a while now :\

Your probably in-between sizes. for instance I have trek 6000 size 19". I test rode a 19 and a 17". while I fit both of them I went with the 19" because by the time a got the saddle up to my hight it was about level with the handlebars on the 19 but on the 17 it was about 3" higher than the handlebars. plus I now see that I would of felt a bit cramped on the 17" in tight turns and technical sections of trails, but it also would be easier to "throw" around. If you are just not comfortable on your bike you can always sell it- for a bit of a loss -and get a smaller bike. you should try to test ride one somewhere different than the last place you bought the giant.