So what did you eat for Valentine's Day dinner?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nexis, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are having Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème
    anglais and toasted almonds.

    The chicken is delicious and so simple. Just marinate with Dijon mustard, white wine and garlic.
    Process some chunks of French bread until you have big crumbs and toss with 1/2 cup parmesan
    (shredded finely) and 1 tsp sage. Drain the chicken and lay out on a cookie sheet and top with bread
    crumbs, then drizzle with melted butter. Bake, 425*f for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through.
    Yummy! The polenta is equally easy. I cooked it in chicken stock for added flavor. Cook 4:1 liquid
    to corn meal 8-10 min until tender then transfer to glass baking dish. Dot with spoons of
    mascarpone, then pesto along side that. Bake 20 min at 375*f. The molten lava cakes are on
    Godiva.com website. I subbed Kahlua for the orange liqueur, and omitted the orange zest. Drizzling
    the plates with white chocolate before serving.

    Happy Valentines Day!

    kimberly

    Tags:

  2. Miche

    Miche Guest

    I made chicken risotto with green beens on the side. Simple and delicious!

    Miche

    --
    If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

  3. Saerah

    Saerah Guest

    Nexis wrote in message ...
    >I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    >garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are
    having
    >Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème anglais and toasted almonds.
    >
    >The chicken is delicious and so simple. Just marinate with Dijon mustard, white wine and garlic.
    >Process some chunks of French bread until you have big crumbs and toss with 1/2 cup parmesan
    >(shredded finely) and 1 tsp sage. Drain the chicken and lay out on a cookie sheet and top with
    >bread crumbs, then drizzle with melted butter. Bake, 425*f for 10-12 minutes or until cooked
    >through. Yummy! The polenta is equally easy. I cooked it in chicken stock for added flavor. Cook
    >4:1 liquid to corn meal 8-10 min until tender then transfer to glass baking dish. Dot with spoons
    >of mascarpone, then pesto along side that.
    Bake
    >20 min at 375*f. The molten lava cakes are on Godiva.com website. I subbed Kahlua for the orange
    >liqueur, and omitted the orange zest. Drizzling the plates with
    white
    >chocolate before serving.
    >
    >Happy Valentines Day!
    >
    >kimberly

    my husband cooked *me* dinner ! :) so what if it was just salad and his "greatest grilled cheese
    in the world" (with salami, 3 kinds of cheese onions, and garlic.)? he set the table all nice for
    when i got home from work and everything. we had dinner by candlelight. and i love him, thats
    really all i need :>

    --
    Saerah

    TANSTAAFL

    Hangovers only last a day, but a good drinking story lives on forever....

  4. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Nexis wrote:
    > I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    > garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are having Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème
    > anglais and toasted almonds.
    >
    > kimberly

    Meat loaf and mashed potatoes :)

  5. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    "Nexis" <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:D[email protected]1:

    > I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    > garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are having Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème
    > anglais and toasted almonds.
    >
    > The chicken is delicious and so simple. Just marinate with Dijon mustard, white wine and garlic.
    > Process some chunks of French bread until you have big crumbs and toss with 1/2 cup parmesan
    > (shredded finely) and 1 tsp sage. Drain the chicken and lay out on a cookie sheet and top with
    > bread crumbs, then drizzle with melted butter. Bake, 425*f for 10-12 minutes or until cooked
    > through. Yummy! The polenta is equally easy. I cooked it in chicken stock for added flavor. Cook
    > 4:1 liquid to corn meal 8-10 min until tender then transfer to glass baking dish. Dot with spoons
    > of mascarpone, then pesto along side that. Bake 20 min at 375*f. The molten lava cakes are on
    > Godiva.com website. I subbed Kahlua for the orange liqueur, and omitted the orange zest. Drizzling
    > the plates with white chocolate before serving.
    >
    > Happy Valentines Day!
    >
    > kimberly

    V Day was so weird. An old ex dropped by to deliver a "present" to me because I had been ill. The
    present was a set of Lladro geese I had purchased for myself about 18 years ago. The ex had
    cleaned out the condo, bank accounts and anything else that wasn't nailed down some 20 years ago.
    Too strange.

    For dinner I dined out with friends and the oldest dependent. We dined at Zinnia.

    Michael

    --
    "The carp was dead, killed, assassinated, murdered in the first, second and third degree. Limp, I
    fell into a chair, with my hands still unwashed reached for a cigarette, lighted it, and waited for

  6. S.Dunlap

    S.Dunlap Guest

    "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    > garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are having Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème
    > anglais and toasted almonds.

    I took the sig other out to eat. We had barbecue beef, green salad, macaroni salad, a ground pork
    mini meat loaf, rolls and margaritas. Not fancy but the music was great. A marimba band - two
    marimbas, with seven musicians (three on one marimba, 4 on the other), drummer and a guy on bongos.
    Oh...and all for 300 lempira - under US$20.

    Sandi

  7. In article <[email protected]>, "Nexis" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    > garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are having Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème
    > anglais and toasted almonds. kimberly

    We postponed our plan for ribs at the Market BBQ; Rob finished his leftovers from Cam Ranh Bay (new
    owners, not what it used to be, Kimberly) and a couple hours later we had some chili.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

  8. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Nexis wrote:

    > I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Gr=
    een
    > Beans saut=E9ed with garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are=
    having
    > Molten Lava cakes, with espresso cr=E8me anglais and toasted almonds.
    >
    > The chicken is delicious and so simple. Just marinate with Dijon mustar=
    d,
    > white wine and garlic. Process some chunks of French bread until you ha=
    ve
    > big crumbs and toss with 1/2 cup parmesan (shredded finely) and 1 tsp s=
    age.
    > Drain the chicken and lay out on a cookie sheet and top with bread crum=
    bs,
    > then drizzle with melted butter. Bake, 425*f for 10-12 minutes or until=

    > cooked through. Yummy! The polenta is equally easy. I cooked it in chicken stock for added fla=
    vor.
    > Cook 4:1 liquid to corn meal 8-10 min until tender then transfer to gla=
    ss
    > baking dish. Dot with spoons of mascarpone, then pesto along side that.=
    Bake
    > 20 min at 375*f. The molten lava cakes are on Godiva.com website. I subbed Kahlua for th=
    > orange liqueur, and omitted the orange zest. Drizzling the plates with =
    white
    > chocolate before serving.

    Sounds good. We ordered take out food. We had a really good restaurant in= town where we used to get
    first rate dinners at reasonable prices. Unfortunat= ely, the chef/owner had to shut the place down
    because of a serious heart prob= lem. He recently started offering take out meals from his house one
    night a week.= He emails the weekly offerings to his clientele. Orders are placed by Thursd= ay
    night for Friday pickup.

    Last night I ordered his shrimp bisque, a hearts of Romaine salad with p= ine nuts and citrus,
    two orders of braised baby pork ribs with a mango sauce = and two orders of Tiramisu for 7 pm.
    I arrived at 6:58 and was home by 7:04. Ever= ything was terrific. I can see us doing this
    again soon.

  9. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Nexis wrote:

    > Happy Valentines Day!
    >
    > kimberly

    Celebrated V.D. and DearSon's 29th with a family dinner at our house. Marinated flank steak, herbed
    rice, cauliflower with cheese sauce, a mixed salad, sourdough baguette. For dessert, ganache-glazed
    chocolate bundt cake with vanilla ice cream. A nice Aussie cabernet. Enjoyed by all, even the 2 yr.
    old picky grandson who scarfed down quite a bit of "yummy, yummy steak".

    gloria p

  10. Sfc Girl

    Sfc Girl Guest

    Well, after spending 2 1/2 hours at a dang AT&T wireless kiosk purchasing corporate cell phones,
    being the last ones to leave the mall at 9:30pm, I went home and made my husband and I a couple of
    buffalo chicken salads and very strong vodka martinis, then watched a movie!

    "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
    > I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    > garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are
    having
    > Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème anglais and toasted almonds.
    >
    > The chicken is delicious and so simple. Just marinate with Dijon mustard, white wine and garlic.
    > Process some chunks of French bread until you have big crumbs and toss with 1/2 cup parmesan
    > (shredded finely) and 1 tsp
    sage.
    > Drain the chicken and lay out on a cookie sheet and top with bread crumbs, then drizzle with
    > melted butter. Bake, 425*f for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through. Yummy! The polenta is
    > equally easy. I cooked it in chicken stock for added
    flavor.
    > Cook 4:1 liquid to corn meal 8-10 min until tender then transfer to glass baking dish. Dot with
    > spoons of mascarpone, then pesto along side that.
    Bake
    > 20 min at 375*f. The molten lava cakes are on Godiva.com website. I subbed Kahlua for the orange
    > liqueur, and omitted the orange zest. Drizzling the plates with
    white
    > chocolate before serving.
    >
    > Happy Valentines Day!
    >
    > kimberly

  11. Tintalle

    Tintalle Guest

    BF and i went out to our favorite little pasta place for lunch. We started with the baked artichoke
    dip with fresh pita to dip. I had a greek quiche, and soup, he had pasta "new orleans" with fresh
    veggies and shrimp. For dessert he had the tropical cheesecake, and i tried out their chocolate
    raspberry crepes, which were heavenly.

    It was lovely. Lunch was so much more enjoyable than dinner would have been, relaxed and pleasant.
    I loved it.

    Nexis wrote:
    > I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    > garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are having Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème
    > anglais and toasted almonds.
    >
    > The chicken is delicious and so simple. Just marinate with Dijon mustard, white wine and garlic.
    > Process some chunks of French bread until you have big crumbs and toss with 1/2 cup parmesan
    > (shredded finely) and 1 tsp sage. Drain the chicken and lay out on a cookie sheet and top with
    > bread crumbs, then drizzle with melted butter. Bake, 425*f for 10-12 minutes or until cooked
    > through. Yummy! The polenta is equally easy. I cooked it in chicken stock for added flavor. Cook
    > 4:1 liquid to corn meal 8-10 min until tender then transfer to glass baking dish. Dot with spoons
    > of mascarpone, then pesto along side that. Bake 20 min at 375*f. The molten lava cakes are on
    > Godiva.com website. I subbed Kahlua for the orange liqueur, and omitted the orange zest. Drizzling
    > the plates with white chocolate before serving.
    >
    > Happy Valentines Day!
    >
    > kimberly

  12. Marecat

    Marecat Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:46:43 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    >garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are having Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème
    >anglais and toasted almonds.
    >
    >The chicken is delicious and so simple. Just marinate with Dijon mustard, white wine and garlic.
    >Process some chunks of French bread until you have big crumbs and toss with 1/2 cup parmesan
    >(shredded finely) and 1 tsp sage. Drain the chicken and lay out on a cookie sheet and top with
    >bread crumbs, then drizzle with melted butter. Bake, 425*f for 10-12 minutes or until cooked
    >through. Yummy! The polenta is equally easy. I cooked it in chicken stock for added flavor. Cook
    >4:1 liquid to corn meal 8-10 min until tender then transfer to glass baking dish. Dot with spoons
    >of mascarpone, then pesto along side that. Bake 20 min at 375*f. The molten lava cakes are on
    >Godiva.com website. I subbed Kahlua for the orange liqueur, and omitted the orange zest. Drizzling
    >the plates with white chocolate before serving.
    >
    >Happy Valentines Day!
    >
    >kimberly

    We grilled some T-bones and had 'em with twice-baked taters, spinach souffle, and Caesar salad.
    Dessert was assorted Godiva chocolates with champagne.

  13. "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... SNIP
    > The molten lava cakes are on Godiva.com website. I subbed Kahlua for the orange liqueur, and
    > omitted the orange zest. Drizzling the plates with white chocolate before serving.
    >
    > Happy Valentines Day!
    >
    > kimberly

    Well, Valentine's Day was not a particularly romantic evening. My friend and I often get together on
    Saturday nights, and we got together last night more because it was Saturday than because it was
    Valentine's Day.

    Anyway, the menu was Raspberry Chicken, which is one of our favorite dishes. I got the recipe out of
    the silver palate cookbook. I cook a lazier version of that dish, and add mushrooms, which the
    original recipe doesn't have. With the chicken, we had rice and steamed asparagus.

    For dessert, we had a slice of princess cake apiece from a local bakery and we both went to bed full
    and content.

    Melissa

  14. Lucy

    Lucy Guest

    My husband picked up chicken and potato salad from the deli (at my request)
    and we spent the day together without having to worry about cooking or
    dishes :)

    "Saerah" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Nexis wrote in message ...
    > >I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta,
    Green
    > >Beans sautéed with garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are
    > having
    > >Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème anglais and toasted almonds.
    > >
    > >The chicken is delicious and so simple. Just marinate with Dijon mustard, white wine and garlic.
    > >Process some chunks of French bread until you have big crumbs and toss with 1/2 cup parmesan
    > >(shredded finely) and 1 tsp
    sage.
    > >Drain the chicken and lay out on a cookie sheet and top with bread
    crumbs,
    > >then drizzle with melted butter. Bake, 425*f for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through. Yummy!
    > >The polenta is equally easy. I cooked it in chicken stock for added
    flavor.
    > >Cook 4:1 liquid to corn meal 8-10 min until tender then transfer to glass baking dish. Dot with
    > >spoons of mascarpone, then pesto along side that.
    > Bake
    > >20 min at 375*f. The molten lava cakes are on Godiva.com website. I subbed Kahlua for the orange
    > >liqueur, and omitted the orange zest. Drizzling the plates with
    > white
    > >chocolate before serving.
    > >
    > >Happy Valentines Day!
    > >
    > >kimberly
    >

    > my husband cooked *me* dinner ! :) so what if it was just salad and his "greatest grilled
    > cheese in the
    world"
    > (with salami, 3 kinds of cheese onions, and garlic.)? he set the table all nice for when i got
    > home from work and everything. we had dinner by candlelight. and i love him, thats really all
    > i need :>
    >
    > --
    > Saerah
    >
    > TANSTAAFL
    >
    > Hangovers only last a day, but a good drinking story lives on forever....

  15. Darkginger

    Darkginger Guest

    jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Nexis wrote:
    > > I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    > > garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are having Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème
    > > anglais and toasted almonds.
    > >
    > > kimberly
    >
    > Meat loaf and mashed potatoes :)

    We went out to a local Italian, where I had crostini followed by poached salmon with a spinach
    sauce, with chocolate-drizzled pancakes for dessert. Mind you, that was on Friday, as we couldn't
    get booked in for the 14th. Last night, we had home made ham and anchovy pizza with very unromantic
    garlic bread!

    Jo

    ---

  16. Nancyjaye

    Nancyjaye Guest

    I mixed up some rigatoni pasta with some meat/mushroom sauce that I had in the freezer, tossed it in
    a baking dish, smothered it with mozzarella cheese and threw it in the oven. Served it with garlic
    toast (also smothered in cheese) and a salad made with tomatoes, onion, cukes and avocado tossed
    with a bit of EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Coffee and Red Velvet cake for dessert.

    Hubby, poochie and I cuddled on the couch in front of a nice fire after dinner. A nice
    quiet evening.

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:barbschaller-
    [email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    > > garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are having Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème
    > > anglais and toasted almonds. kimberly
    >
    > We postponed our plan for ribs at the Market BBQ; Rob finished his leftovers from Cam Ranh Bay
    > (new owners, not what it used to be, Kimberly) and a couple hours later we had some chili.
    > --
    > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

  17. "Saerah" <[email protected]> wrote >grilled cheese in the world"
    > (with salami, 3 kinds of cheese onions, and garlic.)?

    No kissing happened, I would think?

  18. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    > > garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are having Molten Lava cakes, with espresso crème
    > > anglais and toasted almonds. kimberly
    >
    > We postponed our plan for ribs at the Market BBQ; Rob finished his leftovers from Cam Ranh Bay
    > (new owners, not what it used to be, Kimberly) and a couple hours later we had some chili.
    > --
    > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

    Ack...why do they always mess with a good thing? I was just thinking about our lunches there the
    other day too. *sigh*

    kimberly

  19. Janet

    Janet Guest

    Since I have no SO in my life at the moment :-( I told my kids that they could have friends over for
    a Valentines Day party. My children are 13 and
    14. My son (the 13 year old) had 2 friends over, and my daughter (the 14 year old) had one friend
    over. We made heart-shaped pizzas with store-bought dough (I even thought of cutting the
    pepperonis into hearts, but thought that would be too much!), shrimp cocktails, a cheeze ball
    with special crackers, and we made strawberries dipped in white and milk chocolate! It was fun.

    Janet

    "NancyJaye" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I mixed up some rigatoni pasta with some meat/mushroom sauce that I had in the freezer, tossed it
    > in a baking dish, smothered it with mozzarella
    cheese
    > and threw it in the oven. Served it with garlic toast (also smothered in cheese) and a salad made
    > with tomatoes, onion, cukes and avocado tossed
    with
    > a bit of EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Coffee and Red Velvet cake for
    dessert.

    > Hubby, poochie and I cuddled on the couch in front of a nice fire after dinner. A nice quiet
    > evening.
    >

    > "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:barbschaller-
    > [email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts, Mascarpone & Pesto Polenta, Green Beans sautéed with
    > > > garlic, rosemary and pine nuts. For dessert we are having Molten Lava cakes, with espresso
    > > > crème anglais and toasted almonds. kimberly
    > >
    > > We postponed our plan for ribs at the Market BBQ; Rob finished his leftovers from Cam Ranh Bay
    > > (new owners, not what it used to be, Kimberly) and a couple hours later we had some chili.
    > > --
    > > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

  20. Nothing really special. I have a bad cold and the SO wasn't feeling up to par, either. We went to a
    local eatery that has good, plain food. I had southern fried chicken (made as one would at home)
    with real mashed potatoes and good coleslaw. The SO had Swiss steak, scalloped potatoes, and veggie.
    I'm sure it was all good as it usually is, but I couldn't taste a thing.

    Wayne