So What Is Up With This Crap?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by aa9t8, Jan 8, 2006.

1. darkhelmet

darkhelmet New Member

The roadies here are pretty up tight. I figure they're upset with the cagers, their bored with their ride, they figure they're better than some old, fat guy on a old hybrid, and impressed with themselves. But when I drive to the trails with the Hopper in tow, I get a lot of looks. I find the MTBers, for the most part are a very freindly group. Maybe its because hitting the ground when a root comes up and bites you is a great equalizer or maybe their not angry with the world or bored with their ride. Their are a few PRO wannabees out their on the local trails who are enamored of themselves, but for the most part their just out having fun with a sport they enjoy.

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What's funny is people here think that some attitude is an intrinisic part of riding a road bike or a mountain bike. Get over it. Believe it or not, there are just as many azzhats riding mtn bikes and bents as there are riding road bikes.

What with all the preconceptions y'all carry and all the incorrect generalizations y'all are making.....well.....then it's a pretty sad lot we have here.

I like what someone else said when they asked if y'all get upset when someone who walks by you on the sidewalk doesn't say "hi"? Situation is exactly the same as that on a bike. And it's no different if that same person on the sidewalk makes derisive comments about you: there just an azzhat. It's nothing to do with them being a pedestrian.

Jeesh.

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's it. Whatever. I hope someone helps you pick out your clothes each day, because you're having all kinds of problems coming to the right conclusions. Hitting a root creates some brotherhood bond? Right. Funny....roadies crash, too, and I've never heard of such a transforming event in the roadie world? Maybe you ought to take a more realistic look at the world around you. Yup. I'm sure everyone on a bent, mtn bike, hybrid, or ANYTHING other than an expensive road bike is just a keen, happy, joy to be around person. Damn! I better publish this before anyone else gets hold of this undiscovered golden nugget of insight into human behavior.

Dang. You're like the Einstein of psychology. Way to go, man. You rock.

4. Induray

Induray New Member

I will say hello to you if you meet any or all of the below requirements

a. female/big boobs

b. female/tight ass

c. female/big boobs/tight ass

Me? male chauvinist? naaah

5. StartTday

StartTday New Member

Ive had way too many people yell at me for some of the most random stuff that i dont even bother saying hi anymore. I'll just nod. Or if Im about to pass another roadie I'll state a quick comment of "Hey nice bike." or "You're a hard one to catch up to" Although I might be lying, its a nice way to say hi and maybe a quick chat when I run into that person again.

If someone passes me on a bike of "lesser" value. I congratulate them (not verbally) and realize that I've gotten off track and need to push harder.

Around here, I've noticed that roadies who ride high end stuff wont talk to any other high end stuff riders. Yet people that approach this sport casually and just have a bike, will stop and say hi, look at the bike. Ask questions and so on.

And having a "pink" bike always attracts the ladies, haha...

6. Scarpelli

Scarpelli New Member

On my easy days, I ride pretty light. Sometimes a slower rider will ride right through me and not say a thing, like he's training for the Giro. I call this a "fly-by" and it's what ricers do to me in their Hondas when I'm driving my 400 hp car. I let it slide in the car, but when someone rides through me on the bike without saying hello or waving, I usually chase them down and start a conversation. Hey, I'm a friendly guy. And I'm old, but I'm still a Cat. 2. ;)

I've found the type of person most likely to do a fly-by is about 15 lb. overweight with hairy legs, riding a carbon Trek, and wearing the full Discovery Team attire, with his big club cut jersey waving in the breeze. You don't become Lance when you buy the stuff...

7. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

My God what is up with you people?!?! You (well some of you) sound like a bunch of insecure children. Some of you just can't stand it when another rider passes you, some can't stand not being spoken to (grooooan!) I get out on my bike so I don't have to talk to people. If I want to talk while I am riding I will try to find a group to ride with, and I AM a very friendly guy. Some of us just like the peace and solitude of a solo bike ride. If these same people walked past you on the sidewalk you wouldn't expect them to say anything, nor would you say anything to them...come on, isn't it time to grow up about this whole thing? If people don't say hi...they don't say hi...get thicker skin and move on.

Sorry about the rant but this gets under my skin. If you all lived where I do you wouldn't have to worry about it since you wouldn't see any other riders...road or mountain. Silence can be a good thing. I do have to admit that it sucks when you have a flat or a mechanical though.

Brian

8. Cod

Cod New Member

That describes me exactly, although I always return a wave and I haven't cycled in Utah. Yet. :)

I think, in all areas of life, we should always respond when somebody waves, says Hi, or puts out their hand to shake. It's just old-fashioned good manners.

9. Scarpelli

Scarpelli New Member

I wave to everybody, and I talk to everybody.

And I'm not a "you people," thankyouverymuch.

Let me clarify. I'm the nice friendly guy. The insecure guy is the anti-social guy who does the silent fly-by. I like to bridge up to them to engage in conversation. I caught a guy from behind two days ago, and rode with him for a while. No, I didn't try to drop him. Instead, I got to know a stranger, which, back to my point, is what's wrong with guys who silently ride right through you without an acknowledgement.

I'm not the problem.

10. NYYTEX22

NYYTEX22 New Member

Most of the roadies I see here in Odessa are cool. I have a Trek 4300 Hardtail MTB with street tires. They give me crap sometimes. But I believe thats how texans are. We show we like and care for each other by the amount of lip we give each other. (And I can tell the diffrence when they are not being friendly) And regards to most people in cars and trucks are cool. except when you have those shallow-ass teenagers who believe having a car makes them so much cooler! But then again thats why they are teenagers right?!?

11. Bikelux

Bikelux New Member

Mountainbikers are the worst snobbery offenders. You gotta ride up beside them and smack em in the head with a pump to see if they're actually living, not androids. Completely antisocial. :p

:D

12. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

no shit?

damn, i just put a downpayment on a lovely Trek Madone, i was rather hoping for a Tour win this July.

i wonder if i can get my money back.

plus, i would mind shagging cheryl crow...

13. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

FYI - I happen to be an MTB'er as well as an occasional roadie, and I am far from being snobby....

14. trackman23434

trackman23434 New Member

lol last time something like that happened to me (i ride road), i almost shitted myself, i was climbing a hill at 12 mph, and here comes this guy on a mtn bike just cruising right on up it like it was nothing more than an inconvinience, he had to of been going 18-19 mph, he was in his mid 30's, and i'm 15, but still i thought that was just crazy, it's one of the biggest hills in this area.

i should note that i've only been passed twice at the most in the few years i've been riding on that hill, and both times the person was right behind me at the start, and was at most 15 paces ahead at the top, this guy was well out of sight by the time i topped it

15. BigBoyTrike

BigBoyTrike New Member

I get stares and waves all the time...from motorists and plenty of other bikers, mostly I think because so few people have ever seen a recumbent trike with their own eyes before...the novelty of the moment I suppose...I know I'll never be cooking along at the speeds a lot of these guys are riding but I'm having a blast riding anyways:cool:

16. yjuosj

yjuosj New Member

Dude, That's a bad joke... :D lol Just kidding, it's pretty funy

17. Scarpelli

Scarpelli New Member

Hey, let us know how all that works out your you!

18. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

well, i have just shagged cheryl crow...she was great!

only kidding..

she was rubbish!!

19. JohnO

JohnO New Member

I always wave at anything human powered. If you aren't burning hydrocarbons to move, you're making the world just a little bit better.

However, I do have to say that one looks damned undignified on one of those things, with their feet flapping up in the air. Maybe they're more efficient, more comfortable.... just not my style.

she was rubbish!![/QUOTE]

20. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

I have. Unseasonably warm weather allowed me to get out for a quick ride on Friday. I ran across two other roadies, a mounatin biker, and several runners. Friendly greetings were returned by all. The simple fact that it was January in Vermont and we were outside enjoying the sunshine clad in less than our entire wardrobes forged an instant bond. Of course I nearly got frostbite skiing today, but there's no global warming...