So What Is Up With This ****?

aa9t8

Oct 22, 2004
i was riding my bent today. and went by a few roadies. for some reason they could not say hi or wave or acknowledge my existence. twas like i was invisible. i used to ride a sportbike (overpowered 2 wheeler). and lots of people riding a particular kind of crusier (over egoed and priced) motorcycle were the same way. when i ride my mtn bike it is different. people wave, nod, and say hi. as do i. what is up with this ****?

Reactions: haleylx4
aa9t8 said:
i was riding my bent today. and went by a few roadies. for some reason they could not say hi or wave or acknowledge my existence. twas like i was invisible. i used to ride a sportbike (overpowered 2 wheeler). and lots of people riding a particular kind of crusier (over egoed and priced) motorcycle were the same way. when i ride my mtn bike it is different. people wave, nod, and say hi. as do i. what is up with this ****?

Ahhhhh.....the question that will be forever unanswered. Dunno. Me? Well, I nod my head or wiggle my fingers at bent riders, peds, mtbers.....I don't care. Just tryin' to spread the love.

As for the Harley Riders....well, they're all angry at people that ride motorcycles which are more reliable than their own.....which is pretty much every make.

Aussie Steve said:
what is a bent?

forgive me, I am from Down Under and we on the opposite side of the world

It's a recumbent thingee. Really hairy guys ride 'em.

That sort of unsociable behavior irritates me too. I'm a personable and outgoing individual and sometimes resent it when other riders ignore a pleasent hi, or good morning. I find it rude

Here is one area that I think roadies have a way to go to catch up the mtb'ers. Whenever I am on the trails hellos and chat are common place. On the road is seems the more serious the rider the less chance that I will get any acknowledgement from them. I hope that we can work to change this.

Remember all, this is supposed to be fun!!! :D

aa9t8 said:
what is up with this ****?
look at it from the point of view of a roadie..

the sun shine out of thier ****, they are an elite section of society, smarter, fitter, more handsome and richer than anyone else. They are simply better than the rest of us, we are not fit to wipe the shite from thier shorts.

Then all of a sudden, a peasant passes them by on a bloody moutain bike of all things...its no wonder they are offended. How dare you. Even if you stopped to offer him your wife for the night he still would see your entire life as a blight upon society..

road bikers are just better than us...and thats a fact we cannot change. Dont make eye contact, dont nod and for christs sake, dont wave....thier compact, light-weight, earodymanic brains are not programmed to accept pleasantries from the lower classes. Just smile awkwardly, bow and say sorry...sorry...sorry, as you pass them.

LOL...I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy.

One of my riding goals has always been to try and make a friend on every ride, be it another rider, a kid out on their new bike, a neighbor that I pass along my route, a driver that works with me along my commute, you name it. I can't imagine being as big of a self-absorbed crud as some of the folks that I come across.

There's a non-racer/fitness cycling club that rides out from their town a lot into the lake area where I live. Other than their newcomer ride, which is loose and fun and extremely friendly, they are the biggest dipsticks that I have ever come across. Their signature charity ride event of the year utilzed route signs which read: Bike Ride In Progress. Somebody had actually taken the time to go all along the route and write 'Arrogant' in front the wording on the signs. That is how bad these guys are. They inspire that kind of animosity. More than once they have blown through stop signs, cutting me off on rides, then gave me grief for wheel sucking up to their hilltop collection point. I watched them blow past a local solo rider with a mechanical without even looking her way. And this is in a rural area where there isn't anything but a few farm houses for miles. They rode up to me at an intersection once where I was sitting at the side of the road changing a tire. They stood around on the far side of the two lane road chatting for a full 15 minutes before queuing up and heading back into town. No one ever said a word to me. This very weekend, at the very same intersection, when I road up they were stopped and all but blocked the road in order to flag me down asking for a chain tool. It was surreal.

Just for the sake of comparision, I often pass (or get passed) by two local race teams that train in my area. They are always nice and extremely friendly, even to me, a lowly 47 year-old fitness rider. More than once they have tucked me in on their paceline and helped me catch a breather working my way back in on windy days. These guys are always out training on timed rides or with specific intervals and goals, but I have seen them many times with the entire 20+ rider peleton pulled over helping somebody with first aid or a repair.

So yeah, if you ask me it is a lot more about the rider than the roadie. Being a cheesed*ck is a choice.

MountainPro said:
look at it from the point of view of a roadie..

the sun shine out of thier ****, they are an elite section of society, smarter, fitter, more handsome and richer than anyone else. They are simply better than the rest of us, we are not fit to wipe the shite from thier shorts.

Then all of a sudden, a peasant passes them by on a bloody moutain bike of all things...its no wonder they are offended. How dare you. Even if you stopped to offer him your wife for the night he still would see your entire life as a blight upon society..

road bikers are just better than us...and thats a fact we cannot change. Dont make eye contact, dont nod and for christs sake, dont wave....thier compact, light-weight, earodymanic brains are not programmed to accept pleasantries from the lower classes. Just smile awkwardly, bow and say sorry...sorry...sorry, as you pass them.

Yeah, then there's the type that can't get their pea-brains to accept anything other than worn out stereotypes.......like the one above.

It's a people thing, not just a roadie thing. Anyone that thinks it's just a roadie thing is at least deluded, if not irretrievably stupid. People just love their stereotypes.....they make thinking unneccessary.

Alienator,

very true...i was making a joke of it ofcourse..

are you a roadie or a mountain biker (single speed or cruiser included)?

alienator said:
Yeah, then there's the type that can't get their pea-brains to accept anything other than worn out stereotypes.......like the one above.

It's a people thing, not just a roadie thing. Anyone that thinks it's just a roadie thing is at least deluded, if not irretrievably stupid. People just love their stereotypes.....they make thinking unneccessary.

MountainPro said:
Alienator,

You people you read the article writtne by Styleman of bicycling magazine on page 43. (us magazine)

If you want me to post it, just ask.

aa9t8 said:
i was riding my bent today. and went by a few roadies. for some reason they could not say hi or wave or acknowledge my existence.
Don't feel bad. I ride a high-end road bike and most of them never wave at me either. Sometimes I think they don't see me because they are staring in agony at the pavement a few feet in front of them, wishing the ride was over so they could sprawl out on the couch and catch a ball game on TV.

MountainPro said:
Alienator,

I'm a Roadie.

MountainPro said:
dont you have a feeling of superiority when passing plebs on the local highway?

You oughta try that reading thing. Iffin' you do that, then you'll see, in my first post on this thread, that I don't. Should I? Do you conform to the usual mountain biker stereotypes? Or are you a real person, that doesn't fit well into any particular stereotype?

Is there a sign that "plebs" wear? Is there a reason why I would feel superior passing them? Gee, I thought I was enjoying riding my bike.

MountainPro said:
Are you a roadie or a mountain biker (single speed or cruiser included)?
What if you're "BI". :p I like both.

aa9t8 said:
Went by a few roadies. for some reason they could not say hi or wave or acknowledge my existence ?
Really, who gives a Ferk. I have passed Roadie's and give them the "thumbs up" and some wave back and some don't.

Then there was the guy I passed riding a Cervelo (Soloist I think). He was coming at me down a 8% grade - in a head wind and rain the size of table grapes pounding him. He was peering out a small slit between the rim of his sunglasses and the brim of his cycling cap he had on under his helmet. Before I could raise my hand to wave at him (from the cab of my nice warm truck) he stuck his hand up and waved at me.

The point is, be respectable ,wave when you can. You do this and ***** may give you the chocolate Factory.

Lw

i just fishing...lots of bites tonight...:D

nah, i am a road and mtber...i have even been known to thrash a few roadies on my slicked up mtb. Its fun. Fat boys on carbon dream machines. Silly really.

the elitist attitude is alive and well where i live. Most of the roadies know me and respect me...i get a nod even when up to ma oaxters in mud and spraying sheep shite because tomorrow i will be in thier bunch driving thier train.

alienator said:
You oughta try that reading thing. Iffin' you do that, then you'll see, in my first post on this thread, that I don't. Should I? Do you conform to the usual mountain biker stereotypes? Or are you a real person, that doesn't fit well into any particular stereotype?

Is there a sign that "plebs" wear? Is there a reason why I would feel superior passing them? Gee, I thought I was enjoying riding my bike.

I don't ever have an issue with this because I never even see other road riders where I live. If I did I am sure I would be so happy to see them I would probably fall of my bike waving with both hands. Having said that, how many of you folks say hello to every person you pass while walking along the street or in the mall? Why is it that cycling is supposed to be different, or cyclists supposed to be friendlier or less rude than the rest of the population? Cycling is just like any other endeavour...there are good and bad folks doing everything. That guy who does not wave may not necessarily be a snob, and that guy who does wave may be an a**hole in every other area of his life.

The only other guys on bikes I see are the local homeless guys or little kids, and I always speak to the kiddies, they think my bike is cool.

Cheers,

Brian

i live in Denver, CO and 90% of the time i'm wave at or greet. It probably depends on where you live...whether people are rude or not.