"So when are you gonna teach me to ride on the road?"

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Luigi De Guzman, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. baby bro's 8, and just about tall enough for a 20" wheel bike now. Took him for a ride around the
    block today and watched with considerable bigbrotherly pride as he tore about. He's heard me talk
    about doing longer rides, out on the roads, and I've taken the middle brother (13) on bike errands
    around town, so he's anxious to join in.

    So I put him on the roads. Quiet residential streets--I brought up the rear to call "car back" and
    tell him not to panic. The kid did pretty good--he did weave a bit on a gentle upgrade, but then
    he's just getting used to the new bike as well. (otherwise, I was amused to note that his form when
    out of the saddle was probably better than mine....). We even made a couple of left turns, with
    other traffic around. Not bad!

    The brothers are a bit amused that I mother-hen them so much about road rules when we're out on the
    bikes--"keep right!"-- but, then, I figure it's good form to teach them the right thing now.

    -Luigi happily home, and happy to get back to his home bike.

    Tags:

  2. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > baby bro's 8, and just about tall enough for a 20" wheel bike now. Took
    him
    > for a ride around the block today and watched with considerable
    bigbrotherly
    > pride as he tore about. He's heard me talk about doing longer rides, out
    on
    > the roads, and I've taken the middle brother (13) on bike errands around town, so he's anxious to
    > join in.
    >
    > So I put him on the roads. Quiet residential streets--I brought up the
    rear
    > to call "car back" and tell him not to panic. The kid did pretty good--he did weave a bit on a
    > gentle upgrade, but then he's just getting used to
    the
    > new bike as well. (otherwise, I was amused to note that his form when out of the saddle was
    > probably better than mine....). We even made a couple
    of
    > left turns, with other traffic around. Not bad!
    >
    > The brothers are a bit amused that I mother-hen them so much about road rules when we're out on
    > the bikes--"keep right!"-- but, then, I figure
    it's
    > good form to teach them the right thing now.
    >
    > -Luigi happily home, and happy to get back to his home bike.

    Keep at it, Luigi. It could mean the difference between life and death for them.

    Pat

  3. Pbwalther

    Pbwalther Guest

    >The brothers are a bit amused that I mother-hen them so much about road rules when we're out on
    >the bikes--

    Yeah, and years from now they will remember it. Remember when you took us out and taught us how to
    ride on the road? People remember things like that because you showed how much you cared.

  4. "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > x-no-archive:yes

    > Keep at it, Luigi. It could mean the difference between life and death for them.

    so I figure... Not to dump a H****t thread onto rbm, but I figure that good road positioning counts
    for more than head protection when it comes to staying safe. All the protection in the world is
    useless when that H2 runs over you, or the 'vette nails you head-on for riding on the wrong side...

    (I had to explain this to them when I'd jumped on the bike without my h****t--first, that the helmet
    law in our town doesn't compel me to wear one, as I'm over 15, and second, that good road manners
    counted for more than armour.)

    -Luigi

  5. Hey, can I be your brother? I started trying to ride short distances on the road between home and
    work and it scares the shit out of me!

    > The brothers are a bit amused that I mother-hen them so much about road rules when we're out on
    > the bikes--"keep right!"-- but, then, I figure it's good form to teach them the right thing now.

    Elisa Roselli Paris, France

  6. "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey, can I be your brother? I started trying to ride short distances on
    the road
    > between home and work and it scares the shit out of me!

    the fear's something you get over. I guess it's like swimming in the sea--after a while, you don't
    really notice the waves as much.

    -Luigi

  7. Hope that's true. Got honked at today and nearly shat myself!!

    Elisa Roselli Paris, France

    Luigi de Guzman wrote:

    > "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey, can I be your brother? I started trying to ride short distances on
    > the road
    > > between home and work and it scares the shit out of me!
    >
    > the fear's something you get over. I guess it's like swimming in the sea--after a while, you don't
    > really notice the waves as much.
    >
    > -Luigi

  8. On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:38:42 +0200, Elisa Francesca Roselli
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hope that's true. Got honked at today and nearly shat myself!!
    >
    >Elisa Roselli Paris, France
    Tsk, tsk - langwidge, young lady, langwidge! And in a newsgroup, of all places - now you *know* how
    sensitive we all are here....

  9. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:38:42 +0200, Elisa Francesca Roselli
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hope that's true. Got honked at today and nearly shat myself!!
    > >
    > >Elisa Roselli Paris, France
    > Tsk, tsk - langwidge, young lady, langwidge! And in a newsgroup, of all
    places - now you
    > *know* how sensitive we all are here....

    I have no objection. "shat," after all, is the correct form of the verb in that context....

  10. update:

    the family were driving to church (there are lots of us) this morning. 8-year old sees a
    wrong-way cyclist.

    "Hey! What's that guy doing riding on the wrong side of the road???"

    (Following his jogging wife. on a bicycle. Slacker.)

    -Luigi

  11. Badger_south

    Badger_south Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:39:01 -0400, "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The brothers are a bit amused that I mother-hen them so
    >much about road rules when we're out on the bikes--"keep
    >right!"-- but, then, I figure it's good form to teach them
    >the right thing now.
    >
    >-Luigi happily home, and happy to get back to his
    >home bike.

    Aw-w, what a good brother Luigi is.

    It wasn't until 2-3 years out of University that I learned
    how my brother, at home, had such a strong case of big
    brother imitation/envy. He never said much, so I learned it
    from mom. Fortunately we got back together after leaving
    home, and have shared many adventures over the years.

    Now, we are tighter than ever at 48 and 53 y.o. I'm spending
    a two week "Biking together" vacation with him now, in Va
    Beach. It's been great!

    -B