So who is off to Mildenhall?



W

wafflycat

Guest
The Unfit Family will be there in between the offspring's couple of time
trials over the weekend.

Cheers, helen s


--

~~
you may need to remove dependence
on fame & fortune from organisation
to get correct email address
~Noodliness is Good~
 
G

Gary Brunsdon

Guest
wafflycat wrote:
> The Unfit Family will be there in between the offspring's couple of time
> trials over the weekend.
>
> Cheers, helen s
>
>

yes - we'll be there as well - managed to get a leave pass for the sat
100 audax all on my own - then we'll probably do a family ride on the
sunday - If I stay on site too long, reckon my overdraft could suffer
via the trade show!!
 
W

wafflycat

Guest
"Gary Brunsdon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> yes - we'll be there as well - managed to get a leave pass for the sat 100
> audax all on my own - then we'll probably do a family ride on the sunday -
> If I stay on site too long, reckon my overdraft could suffer via the trade
> show!!


Must admit, I do enjoy the rooting around for a bargain or three.

Cheers, helen s
 
D

Dave Larrington

Guest
wafflycat wrote:

> The Unfit Family will be there in between the offspring's couple of
> time trials over the weekend.


I shall be there but briefly, depending on how long it takes me to do the
300 km audax...

--
Dave Larrington
<http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
Where's the gin?
 
T

Tim Hall

Guest
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:57:28 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>wafflycat wrote:
>
>> The Unfit Family will be there in between the offspring's couple of
>> time trials over the weekend.

>
>I shall be there but briefly, depending on how long it takes me to do the
>300 km audax...



I shall not, as I'm camping elsewhere. There is alleged to be a posse
of South East England Tandemistas however. Recoginsable by (i) riding
tandems and (ii) having natty SE England Tandemista jerseys:

<http://web.ukonline.co.uk/tandemclub-southeast/_jerseys.htm>


Tim
 
A

Alan Braggins

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Tim Hall wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:57:28 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>>wafflycat wrote:
>>
>>> The Unfit Family will be there in between the offspring's couple of
>>> time trials over the weekend.

>>
>>I shall be there but briefly, depending on how long it takes me to do the
>>300 km audax...

>
>I shall not, as I'm camping elsewhere. There is alleged to be a posse
>of South East England Tandemistas however. Recoginsable by (i) riding
>tandems and (ii) having natty SE England Tandemista jerseys:
><http://web.ukonline.co.uk/tandemclub-southeast/_jerseys.htm>


I'm off to North Wales for the weekend (not cycling).

But those going to Mildenhall might be interested in the nearby (Weeting)
exhibition of Cycling Art and Erotica: http://www.velorotic.co.uk/
(via http://www.velorution.biz/?p=1223)

(The "erotica" section is in a separate room, apparently, for those
who want to see other cycling related art but whose sensibilities
would be offended by that sort of thing.)
 
M

Mike Causer

Guest
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:19:05 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

> The Unfit Family will be there in between the offspring's couple of time
> trials over the weekend.


I'll be there on Sunday. Drooling at the display on the ICE stand and
poking through boxes of ancient bicycle bits. What time & where are
these TTs? There's nothing on the MCR web-site.


Mike
 
J

Jo

Guest
wafflycat wrote:
> The Unfit Family will be there in between the offspring's couple of time
> trials over the weekend.
>
> Cheers, helen s
>
>

We are intending to go sometime later today. We left it to late to get a
camping place, so need to find a place to try out our new tent in a
nearby camp site. We also only have one working bike between the two of
us at present. I am still waiting for my replacement recumbent, and I
had a very noisy rim failure on the touring bike yesterday. Mark is in
urgent need of a tyre for one of his bikes. So it looks like it will be
an all car event for us, unfortunately.
Jo
 
A

Adrian Godwin

Guest
I'm going Sunday, hoping to find some secondhand bits for a cheap
fixie conversion. I've read Sheldon's articles, but am likely to get
confused about whether I'm getting things with the right threads
etc. Is anybody who's going willing to help me find the bits ?

I need a fixed sprocket and lock ring at a minimum, and could
be tempted by suitable hub, crankset, brakes, even a wheel.
Low cost is more important than performance - I just want to
see how I get on with one.

-adrian
 
P

pete whelan

Guest
wafflycat wrote:
> The Unfit Family will be there in between the offspring's couple of time
> trials over the weekend.
>
> Cheers, helen s
>
>


we'll be there, full family this year. Sarra is riding the grass track
(Ladies nat. 800m) on the Saturday; three of us grass tracking on the
Sunday. Bev is 'team manager'. Monday, I'm Commissaire for the
cyclo-cross. Think Andrew is grass racing Monday.

We'll be camping in the Suffolk CTC pen.
 
W

wafflycat

Guest
"Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:19:05 +0100, wafflycat wrote:
>
>> The Unfit Family will be there in between the offspring's couple of time
>> trials over the weekend.

>
> I'll be there on Sunday. Drooling at the display on the ICE stand and
> poking through boxes of ancient bicycle bits. What time & where are
> these TTs? There's nothing on the MCR web-site.
>
>
> Mike


The TTs have nothing to do with MCR. It just happens there's a couple on in
the area. Tomorrow, there's one at Ely and on Monday one up by Norwich. Both
are organised by clubs affliated to CTT and you have to be a member of a CTT
affiliated club to enter and it's advance entry only to such TTs.

Cheers, helen s
 
W

wafflycat

Guest
"pete whelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>
> we'll be there, full family this year. Sarra is riding the grass track
> (Ladies nat. 800m) on the Saturday; three of us grass tracking on the
> Sunday. Bev is 'team manager'. Monday, I'm Commissaire for the
> cyclo-cross. Think Andrew is grass racing Monday.
>
> We'll be camping in the Suffolk CTC pen.
>


We shall duly cheer on Team Whelan when we are at Mildenhall.

Cheers, helen s
 
T

triddletree

Guest
Mike Causer wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:19:05 +0100, wafflycat wrote:
>
>
>>The Unfit Family will be there in between the offspring's couple of time
>>trials over the weekend.

>
>
> What time & where are
> these TTs? There's nothing on the MCR web-site.
>


I'll be at a TT near Ely tomorrow. The start is at 2 o'clock just east
of Whichford.
I haven't seen a start sheet but I'm cheering on a friend (he has the
list) but he tells me it is all elderly gents and a couple of youngsters
one of whom may be 'of this parish'.

tt
 
D

David Martin

Guest
Adrian Godwin wrote:
> I'm going Sunday, hoping to find some secondhand bits for a cheap
> fixie conversion. I've read Sheldon's articles, but am likely to get
> confused about whether I'm getting things with the right threads
> etc. Is anybody who's going willing to help me find the bits ?
>
> I need a fixed sprocket and lock ring at a minimum,


An old mountain bike freehub and a brazing torch did me ;-)
That soon fixed it. And I get a range of sprockets to choose from.

...d
 
P

pete whelan

Guest
Adrian Godwin wrote:
> I'm going Sunday, hoping to find some secondhand bits for a cheap
> fixie conversion. I've read Sheldon's articles, but am likely to get
> confused about whether I'm getting things with the right threads
> etc. Is anybody who's going willing to help me find the bits ?
>
> I need a fixed sprocket and lock ring at a minimum, and could
> be tempted by suitable hub, crankset, brakes, even a wheel.
> Low cost is more important than performance - I just want to
> see how I get on with one.
>
> -adrian


stear clear of Cyclo fixed sprockets. They aren't round and the threads
are only stamped out. They have a habit of stripping the thread on the hub.

Come and find me (Plomesgate CC) if you want to talk bits (not that I've
got any to sell)
 
R

Rob Morley

Guest
In article <[email protected]>
David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Adrian Godwin wrote:
> > I'm going Sunday, hoping to find some secondhand bits for a cheap
> > fixie conversion. I've read Sheldon's articles, but am likely to get
> > confused about whether I'm getting things with the right threads
> > etc. Is anybody who's going willing to help me find the bits ?
> >
> > I need a fixed sprocket and lock ring at a minimum,

>
> An old mountain bike freehub and a brazing torch did me ;-)
> That soon fixed it. And I get a range of sprockets to choose from.
>

I suppose you can also store all the spare sprockets on the hub so you
don't lose them. :)
 
A

Adrian Godwin

Guest
David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> An old mountain bike freehub and a brazing torch did me ;-)
> That soon fixed it. And I get a range of sprockets to choose from.
>


I was wondering about doing that. But I'll still need a way to
stop it unscrewing, won't I ? Or did you braze it onto the hub, too ?

-adrian
 
A

Adrian Godwin

Guest
pete whelan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> stear clear of Cyclo fixed sprockets. They aren't round and the threads
> are only stamped out. They have a habit of stripping the thread on the hub.
>


Thanks - that's the sort of thing I need to know : " .. that one's rubbish,
that one's a weird thread .. "

> Come and find me (Plomesgate CC) if you want to talk bits (not that I've
> got any to sell)
>


Cheers. If I find some bits I'm unsure about I'll look for you.

-adrian
 
D

David Martin

Guest
Adrian Godwin wrote:
> David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > An old mountain bike freehub and a brazing torch did me ;-)
> > That soon fixed it. And I get a range of sprockets to choose from.
> >

>
> I was wondering about doing that. But I'll still need a way to
> stop it unscrewing, won't I ? Or did you braze it onto the hub, too ?


Freehub is the bit of the hub that takes the sprockets. It will not
unscrew by itself as it is bolted on via a splined fitting and requires
a 10mm allen key to do so.

So you braze it solid (might be able to get away with filling it up
with epoxy - anything to stop the freewheel pawls lifting) and it sits
there solid. No unscrewing, no problem.

...d
 
A

Adrian Godwin

Guest
David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Freehub is the bit of the hub that takes the sprockets. It will not
> unscrew by itself as it is bolted on via a splined fitting and requires
> a 10mm allen key to do so.
>
> So you braze it solid (might be able to get away with filling it up
> with epoxy - anything to stop the freewheel pawls lifting) and it sits
> there solid. No unscrewing, no problem.
>


OK, I understand now. But I've got an old freewheel-type hub at the moment,
so I'd have to change the hub anyway .. might as well find a track hub.

-adrian