So who thinks Lance can beat the Hour ?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Laz, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Laz

    Laz Guest

    A lot of interesting developments lately....but what are your thoughts on
    his chances ? No snide remarks on doping- I don't think anyone will sanction
    an Hour that is obtained by cheating. Personally, I think Lance does possess
    a work-ethic that even if he could do it by cheating he wouldn't - but that
    is only my opinion.

    He is getting up there in age, but I think he is getting spiritually worn by
    all this endless training for the Tour, the Hour is like a one shot deal, do
    it and you are done. So I think this is his motivation. I think that his
    career shows that he is more physically capable than Chris Boardman; and
    where Boardman gave up and went home during the Tour, Lance stuck it out and
    suffered more- so he is mentally stronger too. His training techniques will
    have advanced where Peter Keens left off; and where corporate support and
    development goes; 100% guaranteed Trek is going to give him every advantage
    he needs to succeed. All he needs to do, is do it.

    Laz

    Tags:

  2. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 01:40:54 -0500, "Laz" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A lot of interesting developments lately....but what are your thoughts on
    >his chances ? No snide remarks on doping- I don't think anyone will sanction
    >an Hour that is obtained by cheating. Personally, I think Lance does possess
    >a work-ethic that even if he could do it by cheating he wouldn't - but that
    >is only my opinion.
    >
    >He is getting up there in age, but I think he is getting spiritually worn by
    >all this endless training for the Tour, the Hour is like a one shot deal, do
    >it and you are done. So I think this is his motivation. I think that his
    >career shows that he is more physically capable than Chris Boardman; and
    >where Boardman gave up and went home during the Tour, Lance stuck it out and
    >suffered more- so he is mentally stronger too. His training techniques will
    >have advanced where Peter Keens left off; and where corporate support and
    >development goes; 100% guaranteed Trek is going to give him every advantage
    >he needs to succeed. All he needs to do, is do it.

    The only question is how purist he'll be.

    Ron

  3. Doping questions aside, then sure, why not?

    But do not use his tour wins as evidence of being "tougher" than the
    others. Lance will need to be able to ride at 34 miles per hour for a
    full hour. That's a lot of lightbulbs.

  4. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Doping questions aside, then sure, why not?
    >
    > But do not use his tour wins as evidence of being "tougher" than the
    > others. Lance will need to be able to ride at 34 miles per hour for a
    > full hour. That's a lot of lightbulbs.

    I personally would rather see him go for the "Ultimate Hour" or whatever it
    is called, where he can ride a full aero bike etc etc
    Dave

  5. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    "Laz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    <snip>

    > Trek is going to give him every advantage
    > he needs to succeed. All he needs to do, is do it.

    Wouldn't that be his Nike sponsorship - Just do it?

  6. Laz

    Laz Guest

    "Dave H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Doping questions aside, then sure, why not?
    > >
    > > But do not use his tour wins as evidence of being "tougher" than the
    > > others. Lance will need to be able to ride at 34 miles per hour for a
    > > full hour. That's a lot of lightbulbs.

    Agreed. It's not going to be easy, and I know the Tour is not the Hour (
    and vice versa ), but I think there is an indication of the mental toughness
    needed to suceed at either. There is a point where the pain is so great that
    you choose to give up- and it always is a choice. Given that Lance has the
    reasonable physical capacity to to launch an attempt at the Hour, it does
    largly boil down to mental toughness. I seem to recall reading in Cycling
    Weekly about 10years ago desribing Chris Boardmans ( or was it Rominger ?)
    sucessful attempt showed how he was losing lap times before the halfway
    point, but turned it up and stuck it out to blow away the old record. The
    bar is set so high now that almost certainly there will come a lull during
    an attempt where the gain will turn to loss-limiting- to lose ground and yet
    perserve will require an enormous will and resolve. I was just pointing out
    where the current Hour holder gave up and went home, Lance stayed.

    > I personally would rather see him go for the "Ultimate Hour" or whatever

    it
    > is called, where he can ride a full aero bike etc etc
    > Dave

    I wouldn't be interested in an Ultimate Hour on a recumbent or some
    freakish "bicycle"-thing fairings and all.

    Laz

  7. > But do not use his tour wins as evidence of being "tougher" than the
    > others. Lance will need to be able to ride at 34 miles per hour for a
    > full hour. That's a lot of lightbulbs.

    Is that all? Oh, I forgot, I was drafting when I did that. Why even
    try, the cycling community has already made up it's mind that the Cannibal
    was the best that there was and ever will be. They still rank Lance 3rd or
    4th best tour de France rider. Let's say Lance doubles the distance
    traveled in an hour. RBR would be shouting with their caps, LANCE ON DOPE.
    Not possible that he could be that much better than Eddy, search his hotel
    room. Every rider will ride in the shadow of Eddy, regardless of their
    accomplishments. So Lance should do what I do, chug a beer, curse the
    Cannibal and give them all the finger.

  8. Of course try...Just don't think it will be a slam dunk.

    And Merckx rode his races with way more risk and initiative. He dared
    to attack, and tried to win stages. All kinds of stages. Lance's
    winning strategy is to hire strong guys who'll ride in front of him and
    protect his HR fluxuations from enemies. He's a boring winner.

  9. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    "Laz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dave H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Doping questions aside, then sure, why not?
    >> >
    >> > But do not use his tour wins as evidence of being "tougher" than the
    >> > others. Lance will need to be able to ride at 34 miles per hour for a
    >> > full hour. That's a lot of lightbulbs.
    >> >

    > Agreed. It's not going to be easy, and I know the Tour is not the Hour (
    > and vice versa ), but I think there is an indication of the mental
    > toughness
    > needed to suceed at either. There is a point where the pain is so great
    > that
    > you choose to give up- and it always is a choice. Given that Lance has the
    > reasonable physical capacity to to launch an attempt at the Hour, it does
    > largly boil down to mental toughness. I seem to recall reading in Cycling
    > Weekly about 10years ago desribing Chris Boardmans ( or was it Rominger ?)
    > sucessful attempt showed how he was losing lap times before the halfway
    > point, but turned it up and stuck it out to blow away the old record. The
    > bar is set so high now that almost certainly there will come a lull during
    > an attempt where the gain will turn to loss-limiting- to lose ground and
    > yet
    > perserve will require an enormous will and resolve. I was just pointing
    > out
    > where the current Hour holder gave up and went home, Lance stayed.
    >
    >> I personally would rather see him go for the "Ultimate Hour" or whatever

    > it
    >> is called, where he can ride a full aero bike etc etc
    >> Dave
    >>

    > I wouldn't be interested in an Ultimate Hour on a recumbent or some
    > freakish "bicycle"-thing fairings and all.
    >
    > Laz

    Nipplehead,

    I hate redundants I was speaking of something along the lines of his Trek
    TT bike
    Dave

  10. <> And Merckx rode his races with way more risk and initiative. He dared
    > to attack, and tried to win stages. All kinds of stages. Lance's
    > winning strategy is to hire strong guys who'll ride in front of him and
    > protect his HR fluxuations from enemies. He's a boring winner.

    see what I mean, it's already beginning ***burp***

  11. amit

    amit Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Of course try...Just don't think it will be a slam dunk.
    >
    > And Merckx rode his races with way more risk and initiative. He dared
    > to attack, and tried to win stages. All kinds of stages. Lance's
    > winning strategy is to hire strong guys who'll ride in front of him

    and
    > protect his HR fluxuations from enemies. He's a boring winner.

    dumbass,

    i predict LANCE will break the hour record during the tour, perhaps the
    evening of the prologue or the morning before a mountain stage and not
    only that, he will SMASH it. since it only takes an hour, he may break
    it a few times in july when he's not busy winning the tour. he will
    probably also break the kilo world record during the first 1000m of the
    ride.

  12. Laz

    Laz Guest

    That's exactly what they said about Indurain. Pity, his achievements amount
    to limited respect.

    Laz
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Of course try...Just don't think it will be a slam dunk.
    >
    > And Merckx rode his races with way more risk and initiative. He dared
    > to attack, and tried to win stages. All kinds of stages. Lance's
    > winning strategy is to hire strong guys who'll ride in front of him and
    > protect his HR fluxuations from enemies. He's a boring winner.

  13. On 02/10/2005 08:41 AM, in article [email protected], "Van
    Hoorebeeck Bart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] schreef:
    >

    >> No pure sprints, and Merckx didn't "do" those either.
    >>

    > occasionally, just to show he wasn't the cannibal he could have been:
    >
    > http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/eta_tdf_1974_1983/tdf1974_7.php

    "* temps pris à l'entrée du circuit. Merckx bien qu'ayant le même temps,
    gagne avec une centaine de mètres d'avance."

    Doesn't that mean that the time that was given was when they entered the
    circuit, and that Merckx, while being given the same time, won with at least
    a 100-metre lead?

    That's not a bunch sprint.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  14. Google reply, let's see how this goes:

    (I wrote):
    > No pure sprints, and Merckx didn't "do" those either.

    (Bart VH replied):

    occasionally, just to show he wasn't the cannibal he could have been:
    (link to Merckx finish info snipped)

    Qualifiers omitted (some): "usually" "by choice" "as a specialty", etc.
    There are some quotes from EM inre bunch sprints (as in "flat" stages
    where a few or several teams are setting up leadouts) the gist of which
    is "leave those to the sprinters". His only notable gap in palmares is
    Paris-Tours, which I understand was a "sprinters' race" in those days.
    Well, if you can get away and stay away, including with small groups,
    you don't _have_ to sprint in the bunch. Better. --TP

  15. stig

    stig Guest

    > And Merckx rode his races with way more risk and initiative. He dared
    > to attack, and tried to win stages. All kinds of stages. Lance's
    > winning strategy is to hire strong guys who'll ride in front of him and
    > protect his HR fluxuations from enemies. He's a boring winner.

    Wow. If you think Armstrong is boring you must have been absent for
    the Indurain Era. What a snoozefest!

  16. Laz

    Laz Guest

    "stig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > And Merckx rode his races with way more risk and initiative. He dared
    > > to attack, and tried to win stages. All kinds of stages. Lance's
    > > winning strategy is to hire strong guys who'll ride in front of him and
    > > protect his HR fluxuations from enemies. He's a boring winner.

    > Wow. If you think Armstrong is boring you must have been absent for
    > the Indurain Era. What a snoozefest!

    The only coverage I could get was via cycling magazines, ( cycling weekly,
    cycle sport etc.) so I could not condemn Indurain as boring. He won, and he
    won, and yet again. 5 times practically killing Rominger in the process.
    That wasn't boring; it was domination.

    We saw the coverage on oln and yes, me my wife and my 20 month old son were
    screaming when Lance attacked- how the hell can you call Lance a boring
    winner ?

    Laz