So who's going to win Le Tour?

I can't wait for the Vesus crew to over use the term mano a mano.
"Contador and Scheleck are going at it hand to hand".:rolleyes:

joe9t8 said:
Wiggins for me. Team Sky have spent so much time on fitness and technology that he's sure to beat his third place finish of last year. He's put on a bit more muscle and I think he's ready for it. I just posted a cracking interview with him, and he seems confident - prepared but not cocky - bit.ly/d3PiUE - Can't see Armstrong rivaling his past best

just an oversight i'm sure, but armstrong took third last year.

steve said:
He didn't fail a test.

Ya know what? My bad. You're right - it LOOKS damn suspicious, but could have been due to internal politics as much as anything.

I was confusing him with Ricco.

jhuskey said:
I can't wait for the Vesus crew to over use the term mano a mano.
"Contador and Scheleck are going at it hand to hand".:rolleyes:

"It looks too me like the young Schleck is really on the rivet after that brutal acceleration up this massive col.";)

I have considered everything and I hope some miracle happens and Kloden wins the tour.
It won't happen but he has been everybody's b***h for so long now.
He has been inconsistent but still has talent.
Oh well, just a thought.

No one is saying much about Mr. Angry from the Antipodes. Mr. Evans could be a real threat:
  • He's riding a wave of success over the last year.
  • He's riding a lot more aggressively.
  • He's shown the willingness to ***** slap opponents.
I wouldn't mind seeing him snap the "barrel" off of Contador's finger bang and insert it someplace uncomfortable for Alberto.

He and Wiggins both should be near the front of the pack. It remains to be seen how near the front after say stage 14.

jhuskey said:
I have considered everything and I hope some miracle happens and Kloden wins the tour.
It won't happen but he has been everybody's b***h for so long now.
He has been inconsistent but still has talent.
Oh well, just a thought.
Yes, he deserves a chance.

I will be waiting for the first post about how terrible the Versus coverage is and how the commentators are the worst. It happens every year. It is pretty clear that ESPN and any other alphabet named network will not cover the tour. I appreciate the Versus coverage and I like the commentators they are part of the experience for me every year. If we did not have Versus we would be left with very little coverage maybe internet but very little at best. So please don't complain about the lame Versus coverage. Like anyone on this board has any standing to complain. Just watch and appreciate the coverage and if you have a novice assessment about the race or tactics each team employs great but leave the commentators and network alone they are all we have...

alienator said:
No one is saying much about Mr. Angry from the Antipodes. Mr. Evans could be a real threat:
  • He's riding a wave of success over the last year.
  • He's riding a lot more aggressively.
  • He's shown the willingness to ***** slap opponents.
I wouldn't mind seeing him snap the "barrel" off of Contador's finger bang and insert it someplace uncomfortable for Alberto.
There's no doubt that Evans will be GC contender. But the effort he's put in Giro is leaving impression that he might be spent for the Tour. He pushed himself to the limit and couldn't match Basso, who looked like he had reserves while distancing opponents.
It seems that Evans' plan was to win Giro (if possible) and come to the Tour relaxed, waiting for development (of the race) and use opportunities if they rise. With Giro lost, only waiting for opportunities is left, because I don't think he will be able to ride with the best both in the Alps and Pyrenees. He'll probably lose time in the Alps, where time gaps shouldn't be huge because of lesser difficulty, and try to peak for stages after the second rest day. Time trial is his opportunity to gain (or make up) time on Schlecks and Basso.
So, I think a podium place is reachable... Hardly the highest one.

leerobbs said:
I will be waiting for the first post about how terrible the Versus coverage is and how the commentators are the worst. It happens every year. It is pretty clear that ESPN and any other alphabet named network will not cover the tour. I appreciate the Versus coverage and I like the commentators they are part of the experience for me every year. If we did not have Versus we would be left with very little coverage maybe internet but very little at best. So please don't complain about the lame Versus coverage. Like anyone on this board has any standing to complain. Just watch and appreciate the coverage and if you have a novice assessment about the race or tactics each team employs great but leave the commentators and network alone they are all we have...

Personally, I think Versus does a pretty good job with their tour coverage. Phil Liggett is one of my favorite commentators of all time, in any sport. He isn't quite as good as Larry Csonka from the origingal American Gladiators:D, but his is good nonetheless.

Kloden should have won the 2006 TdF. Landis was disqualified for doping and so should Pereiro have been. But he produced a backdated TEP for salbutumol and got away with it. I guess the tour didn't want the embarrassment of having to pass the title off to a third person.

leerobbs said:

You're right: we should never complain or point out the flaws of anything we get. We should just accept it and be grateful. Of course, Versus will continue to suck in their coverage, but we'll be thankful they suck. The last thing we should want is for them to hear that viewers don't think much of their production value and telecasts and then subsequently actually improve said production value and telecasts.

I'm grateful for Versus, but one thing really bugged me when they did the ToC: they forgot to put the microphone in the helicopter rotor.

Watching the ToC in silence was just plain weird. I'll be glad when the European media remembers to stick that microphone in the rotor. Way more exciting!

chunkchunkchunkchunkchunkchunk

alienator said:
You're right: we should never complain or point out the flaws of anything we get. We should just accept it and be grateful. Of course, Versus will continue to suck in their coverage, but we'll be thankful they suck. The last thing we should want is for them to hear that viewers don't think much of their production value and telecasts and then subsequently actually improve said production value and telecasts.

Some people live to complain about everything. Who are you to point out anyones flaws anyway? What is your standing to critique these commentators or the production value? What experience do you have in telecommunications? Just having a TV and a computer does not make you an authority about anything. I certainly am not. These corn heads really don't have any clue as to what is going on they just want to complain. Our crack staff of professionals on this site are better able to access and determine if what they are seeing and hearing is of value and the production is top notch. I am sure that this group (on this site) could put together a more professional product and have the perfect commentary to please each and every nugget that ever opened his/her mouth. Not! Nothing is ever perfect and someone would complain if it was perfect. If you don't like Versus and feel the commentators are homers and they suck don't watch.. it's easy turn off your TV. I'm sure some know-it-all who is sitting in front of his computer in wife beaters and a big belly rolling over his gravy stained gym shorts will object to my opinion but that is ok. It will be the same guy who could be the best team director in the tour and beat Contador to the top of the most difficult climb as well...blaaah blah blah. It's not like we have much choice anyway just appreciate the coverage and shutup...turn down the sound since your assessment is far superior anyway.

If I was laying my money down it would go on Contador, however I will be hoping Armstrong can go out with #8. He has a chance, he looked good yesterday and probably has the team advantage which could prove the difference. Will be interesting to see if anyone else asserts themselves this year (Schlecks, etc).

I want a British winner this year, Wiggens or Thomas. But failing that I would like to see Cadel Evans win this year..

Thats who i would like to win, if i were to make a bet however, its got to me Contador, no surprises there.

MountainPro said:
I want a British winner this year, Wiggens or Thomas. But failing that I would like to see Cadel Evans win this year..

Thats who i would like to win, if i were to make a bet however, its got to me Contador, no surprises there.
Hey, MP, it's a long time since I last heard from you. How're things going?

Back on the thread, I'd like to see Cadel Evans bring it all together this year, but my forecast is Alberto Contador.