so whos going to win the mens road race?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by claggy, Oct 8, 2003.

?

whos going to win on sunday

1. Bettini

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bruylandts

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Boonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Van Petegem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Friere

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Brochard

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. Camenzind

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. Popovych

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Basso

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  10. Cassagrande

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Di luca

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Frigo

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  13. Vainsteins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Boogerd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. The winners not on this list

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. claggy

claggy New Member

any takers?

Tags:

2. claggy

claggy New Member

i can see the italians self distructing , bettini would be the obvious favourite otherwise.

so ive gone for Popovych , although im hoping britains jamie burrow does a good ride

3. garthashworth

garthashworth New Member

Popovych is good and will have his day but not this or next year. I'm hoping for Bettini. His form is fantastic.

British riders? No, I don't think so. The only Brit result I can guarantee is that Millar gets dropped at some stage or other and then finds a fantastic excuse to blame his colleagues/ the course/ his equipment/the weather/team management or something I can't even imagine!

Gary

4. Cycling expert

Cycling expert New Member

who in the blue hell even cares.
    The event that i and the whole of the cycling public are interested in is the mens Time trial, with so many heavyweights of the time trial goin at it on Thursday such as David Millar, Isidrio Nozal, IGG, Uwe peschel and Hochar even without the big names of ullrich, armstrong, hamilton and botero it is going to be the event that the world championships in Hamilton are remembered for.

5. garthashworth

garthashworth New Member

Who cares? You must be joking. I would say just about every person in the world interested in bike racing cares! (even Yorkshire)

Sure, the Time Trial is of great interest. I like it a great deal and it is my own speciality but you must realise that it is a of minority interest in the sport. It will never have the nail-biting emotions of road racing.

Gary

6. xerxes

xerxes New Member

What about Valverde? If he has been able to keep his condition of the Vuelta he might be a serious candidate. But unfortunately team orders may form an obstacle.

My guess: Di Luca.

7. Cycling expert

now then jokers i'm not trying to say which has the most tradition etc. i'm tryin to say which is more exciting, and i and the whole of the cycling ferternity wholey agree that the time trial and all of its drama pis*es all over 150 odd men riding round in circles for 5 hours just to contest a sprint finish at the end.
    Sure it has tradition but nail-biting emotion don't make me laugh look no further than the time-trial for blood, sweat, tears and a sh*t load mor including nail-biting action.

8. garthashworth

garthashworth New Member

Fine, but just what are you trying to prove? Each discipline is exciting in its own right. I find all bike racing exciting and include MTB, track and cyclo-cross in this. You seem to be trying to make a point of "it's either this or either that" which apart from being illogical has no foundation of fact. Don't you think you are trying to promote yourself as a god-like figure when you categorically assume the role of spokesman for "the whole of the cycling ferternity (sic)"? Perhaps amongst the millions of your followers there are a couple who could possibly disagree!

9. Cycling expert

you all go on about the road race like it's some big thing, your like little kids arguing on the playground about who's gonna win the premiership except they actually have something to talk about, you don't. You are all building it up no end when at the end of the day it's gonna come down to sprint finish and the best sprinter on the day is gonna win. I think this.., I think that..... at the end of the day all you have to say is who's got a better sprint, bettini or friere. And tell u something else jokers you sound like sad ass wrestling addicts who know what's gonna happen but they make things up to talk about to make the event sound better, you all make me sick.
    P.S Come David Millar show the world what Britain is made of after a great time trial performance on Thursday.

10. Spider1977

Spider1977 New Member

Aha! Now we have a whinging pom riding on success of a Scotsman. Desperate for a winner are we? What would the world be without poms losing at everything?

11. Chuckrossin

Chuckrossin New Member

I like Valverde too. However, I was at the course yesterday for the under 23 race. It obviously favours climbers, but it doesn't favour breakaways. There will be a large group contesting at the end. Pick someone that can sprint well out of a group.

12. Cycling expert

spider1977 what in the blue hell are you going on about, just because you can't create a cycling road world champion you attack others that are proud of their nations people, england, scotland, wales and N. Ireland we are all one, Great Britain, and that Great isn't there for nothing. And besides(you sore loser) who's gonna win the rugby world cup on your good for nothing own patch ask yourself that you joke.

13. garthashworth

garthashworth New Member

On behalf of all my fellow jokers, I apologise profusely for making his excellency sick. Perhaps his excellency would be better suited elsewhere where his pedantry, aggressive and belligerent attitude, together with his own inimitable style of massacring the English language, would be better appreciated.

14. Cycling expert

well thank you for your decency and respect but no thanks i'm fine right here.

15. Spider1977

Spider1977 New Member

Hey self proclaimed expert, if all the nations are one, how come they play as separate nations in soccer, rugby and tiddlewinks. Once a pom, always a pom. I'm sure a scotsman, welsh or irish person would never be accused of being a pom. In fact I get the impression they ridicule them more than the Aussies.

We'll see who'll win the world cup in 6 weeks, won't we. As for rugby in Australia, its played by predominantly ex-public school boys from Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra, yet they are reigning world champions. So stick that up your jumper.

As for a road champion, who cares? We have plenty of other cycling world champs and a few olympic gold medals also. I seem to remember a recent teams pusuit world record - oh, and who came second.:D

16. Cycling expert

Now then spiderman you have taken your knowledle to a new low depth. First off nobody in the whole wide world calls the great english, "poms" except for the narrow minded Aussies.

Secondly, no, in fact the scots, welsh, and irish don't ridicule the english, up here in the much more civilised northern hemisphere we BRITS don't ridicule anybody that doesn't deserve it, and the only mindless brits that ridicule the english are the people that wish they were english.

Thirdly I think that by your last message you feel that the aussies are going to win the world cup, am I right? What planet are you from you can't even put down the argies, your time as world flukes has 6 weeks left to run, we all know that New Zealand should have got to the final and beaten you 4 years ago, the only team that can stop the English express are the New Zealanders again, when we meet in the semis it will be the final while the Aussies slip out to France, for heavens sake we came down to the Southern Hemisphere and humiliated all of you an your own patches, only a moron would believe that england aren't goin g to win the world cup(you).

And another thing, up here most of the people that play rugby are ex-public schoolers as well from such great institutions of learning as Bath, Cambridge, Eton the list is endless, so i don't what you are talking about there mate i think you should just sit back and return to swimming, cos that's the only thing you lot are really good at, i mean oh, i forgot USA are the best now aren't they, pardon me.

Finally your gibberish kept on coming out further down your last message, to be the champion of the road is what all cyclers aspire to. You forgot to mention that all your world champions are at track cycling(drop out failure division) we all know that road cycling is the premiership of cycling and no aussie has ever won a world crown at road level.

I've got bored of putting you and the aussies down,
    Game, set and Match Cycling Expert!!

17. patch70

patch70 New Member

To save me from looking it up, which Brits apart from Millar have won world championships?

18. Cycling expert

Chris Boardman won the time-trial gold in 1994, another great british cycling hero of the road!!

19. shaneo

shaneo New Member

spiderman did have a valid point.....you do tend to get your arse kicked alot....

for example tennis and cricket.

two unique sports originating from UK.

The aussies dominate you in both areas....

go the convicts!!!!

20. claggy

claggy New Member

appologies to my aussie friends not all brits are as rude as "cycling expert"

the brits do get soundly beaten in alot of sports and there is alot to be learned from the australian attitude and application to sport.

as for time trialling being interesting , do you have a cup of tea when you watch it ? its fairly predictable , granted there are 1 or 2 good races but on the whole there are generally about 5 who can win , did anyone seriously expect david millar to loose the time trial ? i didnt so it didnt exactly thrill me to bits watching it.

the road race was very disappointing to watch , a poor course (after the media were telling us all year it was a tough one) and the racing was very poor . the italians should have either tried to set much more tempo on the climbs or sent someone like di luca up the road in a break.
    thankfully bettini , van pettegem and astarloa livened it up at the end but a little bit too late.