Soaking chicken.

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Denise~*, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?

    Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?

    The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein, whey,
    etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in a
    loooong time.

    Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

    How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?

    Tags:

  2. Lorena

    Lorena Guest

    Is he allergic to eggs? You can soak in eggs prior to dredging. I've also tried it with cold water,
    which works somewhat.

    HTH!

    "Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
    >
    > Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
    >
    > The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein, whey,
    > etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in
    > a loooong time.

  3. stan

    stan Guest

    Denise~* <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?

    > Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?

    > The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein, whey,
    > etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in
    > a loooong time.

    Try it and find out with a couple of small chicken pieces. Another option that's fairly common is to
    use an egg wash instead of milk. Just take a cup of cold water and break an egg into it and swish
    around until the egg is blended into the water.

  4. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
    >
    > Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
    >
    > The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein, whey,
    > etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in
    > a loooong time.
    >

    > Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)
    >
    > How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a
    healthy choice?

    Rather than buttermilk, in your case, why not try brining it instead? That will give you the
    tenderness and juiciness. Make a basic brine (1 gal of water ought to be plenty, I would add 1/2-3/4
    c salt, some lightly crushed rosemary sprigs, crushed peppercorns, and a halved lemon), and soak the
    chicken pieces for 1-2 hours. Do it early in the day because after you thoroughly rinse them, you'll
    want to put them on a rack over a baking pan and let them dry for a couple hours in the fridge. Use
    an egg wash before dredging, and you're set.

    kimberly

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Denise~*
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?

    Denise, when I coat chicken, I don't soak it in anything first. Last night I baked some chicken
    drumsticks that I'd coated in Panko bread flakes. I rinsed the drums in water then put them in a bag
    containing the panko crumbs (I'd seasoned the mixture with a variety of things), then arranged them
    in a lightly oiled pan for baking at 375 deg. About 50 minutes later, they were very nice -- not a
    heavy coating. FWIW.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 1/26/04 A good friend will come and bail you out of jail; a
    true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

  6. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in news:barbschaller-
    [email protected]:

    > Last night I baked some chicken drumsticks that I'd coated in Panko bread flakes.

    Barb can you get panko locally or get it shipped in? I can get them here and I am just nosey.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------

  7. In article <[email protected]>, hahabogus
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in news:barbschaller-
    > [email protected]:
    >
    > > Last night I baked some chicken drumsticks that I'd coated in Panko bread flakes.

    > Barb can you get panko locally or get it shipped in? I can get them here and I am just nosey.

    Robin Ringo sent me some from California before she moved to North Carolina. Then I discovered I can
    get them at Byerly's here.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 1/26/04 A good friend will come and bail you out of jail; a
    true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

  8. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Denise~* wrote:
    > You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
    >
    > Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
    >
    > The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein, whey,
    > etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in
    > a loooong time.
    >

    > Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

    No need to 'soak' chicken before you bake or fry it. Brining might be a good idea, depending upon
    what you're going to do with the chicken.

    Now, I do love a good buttermilk dipped and then fried chicken, but I don't generally do this at
    home. Most often I bake chicken pieces marinated in a little Italian salad dressing then rolled in
    cornflake crumbs (or instant mashed potato flakes) blended with some Penzey's Pariesienne and a
    little garlic powder and pepper. Add about 1/4 c. olive oil to the pan and bake at 425F until
    nicely crispy.

    Jill

  9. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Denise~* <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
    >
    >> Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
    >
    >> The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein, whey,
    >> etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in
    >> a loooong time.
    >
    > Try it and find out with a couple of small chicken pieces.

    Stan, that's a terrible bit of advice! If he's allergic to dairy and she tries it out on a couple
    of small chicken pieces on him, if allergic he could go into anaphaelactic shock and possibly
    die. BAD Idea.

    Jill

  10. "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > Denise~* <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
    > >
    > >> Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
    > >
    > >> The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein,
    > >> whey, etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried
    > >> chicken in a loooong time.
    > >
    > > Try it and find out with a couple of small chicken pieces.
    >
    > Stan, that's a terrible bit of advice! If he's allergic to dairy and she tries it out on a couple
    > of small chicken pieces on him, if allergic he could go into anaphaelactic shock and possibly die.
    > BAD Idea.
    >
    > Jill

    I think Stan meant to try the soy milk or rice milk with a couple of pieces.

    Sanjay

  11. Nancyjaye

    Nancyjaye Guest

    I like to brush boneless chicken breasts with Gulden's Mustard, dredge in cracker meal or matzo
    meal, and sauté.

    NancyJaye