Soaking chicken.

Denise~*

Guest
You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?

Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?

The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein, whey,
etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in a
loooong time.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?

Is he allergic to eggs? You can soak in eggs prior to dredging. I've also tried it with cold water,
which works somewhat.

HTH!

"Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
>
> Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
>
> The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein, whey,
> etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in
> a loooong time.

Denise~* <[email protected]> wrote:

> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?

> Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?

> The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein, whey,
> etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in
> a loooong time.

Try it and find out with a couple of small chicken pieces. Another option that's fairly common is to
use an egg wash instead of milk. Just take a cup of cold water and break an egg into it and swish
around until the egg is blended into the water.

"Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
>
> Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
>
> The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein, whey,
> etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in
> a loooong time.
>

> Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)
>
> How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a
healthy choice?

Rather than buttermilk, in your case, why not try brining it instead? That will give you the
tenderness and juiciness. Make a basic brine (1 gal of water ought to be plenty, I would add 1/2-3/4
c salt, some lightly crushed rosemary sprigs, crushed peppercorns, and a halved lemon), and soak the
chicken pieces for 1-2 hours. Do it early in the day because after you thoroughly rinse them, you'll
want to put them on a rack over a baking pan and let them dry for a couple hours in the fridge. Use
an egg wash before dredging, and you're set.

kimberly

In article <[email protected]>, Denise~*
<[email protected]> wrote:

> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?

Denise, when I coat chicken, I don't soak it in anything first. Last night I baked some chicken
drumsticks that I'd coated in Panko bread flakes. I rinsed the drums in water then put them in a bag
containing the panko crumbs (I'd seasoned the mixture with a variety of things), then arranged them
in a lightly oiled pan for baking at 375 deg. About 50 minutes later, they were very nice -- not a
heavy coating. FWIW.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 1/26/04 A good friend will come and bail you out of jail; a
true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in news:barbschaller-
[email protected]:

> Last night I baked some chicken drumsticks that I'd coated in Panko bread flakes.

Barb can you get panko locally or get it shipped in? I can get them here and I am just nosey.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
--------

In article <[email protected]>, hahabogus
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in news:barbschaller-
> [email protected]:
>
> > Last night I baked some chicken drumsticks that I'd coated in Panko bread flakes.

> Barb can you get panko locally or get it shipped in? I can get them here and I am just nosey.

Robin Ringo sent me some from California before she moved to North Carolina. Then I discovered I can
get them at Byerly's here.
--

Denise~* wrote:
> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
>
> Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
>
> The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein, whey,
> etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in
> a loooong time.
>

> Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

No need to 'soak' chicken before you bake or fry it. Brining might be a good idea, depending upon
what you're going to do with the chicken.

Now, I do love a good buttermilk dipped and then fried chicken, but I don't generally do this at
home. Most often I bake chicken pieces marinated in a little Italian salad dressing then rolled in
cornflake crumbs (or instant mashed potato flakes) blended with some Penzey's Pariesienne and a
little garlic powder and pepper. Add about 1/4 c. olive oil to the pan and bake at 425F until
nicely crispy.

Jill

[email protected] wrote:
> Denise~* <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
>
>> Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
>
>> The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein, whey,
>> etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in
>> a loooong time.
>
> Try it and find out with a couple of small chicken pieces.

Stan, that's a terrible bit of advice! If he's allergic to dairy and she tries it out on a couple
of small chicken pieces on him, if allergic he could go into anaphaelactic shock and possibly
die. BAD Idea.

Jill

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Denise~* <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
> >
> >> Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
> >
> >> The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk derivatives (casein,
> >> whey, etc...) & I have to convert most all recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried
> >> chicken in a loooong time.
> >
> > Try it and find out with a couple of small chicken pieces.
>
> Stan, that's a terrible bit of advice! If he's allergic to dairy and she tries it out on a couple
> of small chicken pieces on him, if allergic he could go into anaphaelactic shock and possibly die.
> BAD Idea.
>
> Jill

I think Stan meant to try the soy milk or rice milk with a couple of pieces.

Sanjay

I like to brush boneless chicken breasts with Gulden's Mustard, dredge in cracker meal or matzo
meal, and sauté.

NancyJaye