Sobering exhibition

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    There was a piece on the Today Progamme on an exhibition about road
    crashes. It included simulated crash scene photographs which had been
    causing quite a stir and photographs of the bereaved. People were
    objecting on the basis that the reality of car accidents shouldn't
    intrude into our everyday comfortable lives. Seems to me we need the
    opposite - the reality of peoples driving mistakes should not be hidden
    away as "just one of those things" that doesn't really happen.

    Listen again on
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today3_crash_20060106.ram

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

    Tags:

  2. Chris Smith

    Chris Smith Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > There was a piece on the Today Progamme on an exhibition about road
    > crashes. It included simulated crash scene photographs which had been
    > causing quite a stir and photographs of the bereaved. People were
    > objecting on the basis that the reality of car accidents shouldn't
    > intrude into our everyday comfortable lives. Seems to me we need the
    > opposite - the reality of peoples driving mistakes should not be hidden
    > away as "just one of those things" that doesn't really happen.
    >
    > Listen again on
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today3_crash_20060106.ram

    Denial is not just a river in Africa.

    More people die every year on the UK roads than were murdered by
    terrorists on 11th Sept 2001; yet that sparked two actual wars and one
    virtual war.

    The death toll on our roads is perceived as an "acceptable" cost of
    being able to drive what we want, where we want, when we want - just as
    long as we are not reminded of that cost.

    --
    Chris

  3. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Tony Raven came up with the following;:
    > There was a piece on the Today Progamme on an exhibition about road
    > crashes. It included simulated crash scene photographs which had been
    > causing quite a stir and photographs of the bereaved. People were
    > objecting on the basis that the reality of car accidents shouldn't
    > intrude into our everyday comfortable lives. Seems to me we need the
    > opposite - the reality of peoples driving mistakes should not be hidden
    > away as "just one of those things" that doesn't really happen.

    I couldn't agree more. Every driver, of whatever transport system, ought to
    be made much more aware of what can happen.

    > Listen again on
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today3_crash_20060106.ram

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!
    ebay 5849533390

  4. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > There was a piece on the Today Progamme on an exhibition about road
    > crashes. It included simulated crash scene photographs which had been
    > causing quite a stir and photographs of the bereaved. People were
    > objecting on the basis that the reality of car accidents shouldn't
    > intrude into our everyday comfortable lives. Seems to me we need the
    > opposite - the reality of peoples driving mistakes should not be hidden
    > away as "just one of those things" that doesn't really happen.

    This sounds similar to those who complained about Gordon Ramsay (IIRC)
    killing and preparing a bird on tv before the watershed.
    Hello...reality calling!
    --
    Pete
    http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

  5. Pete White

    Pete White Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > There was a piece on the Today Progamme on an exhibition about road
    > crashes. It included simulated crash scene photographs which had been
    > causing quite a stir and photographs of the bereaved. People were
    > objecting on the basis that the reality of car accidents shouldn't
    > intrude into our everyday comfortable lives. Seems to me we need the
    > opposite - the reality of peoples driving mistakes should not be hidden
    > away as "just one of those things" that doesn't really happen.

    Absolutely. The consequence of one second of selfish behaviour if used
    correctly could prove to be better safety campaing than anything BeHIT
    can muster. There is too much "but it won't happen to me, I'm better
    than that" in society, at all levels, not just in the road. What makes
    me sad is that people are too willing to avoid the responsibilty for
    their own screw-ups, E.G. that no-win no-fee ad where "I was walking
    over a wet floor and fell over, It's someone elses fault."

  6. OG

    OG Guest

    > There was a piece on the Today Progamme on an exhibition about road
    > crashes. It included simulated crash scene photographs which had been
    > causing quite a stir and photographs of the bereaved. People were
    > objecting on the basis that the reality of car accidents shouldn't intrude
    > into our everyday comfortable lives. Seems to me we need the opposite -
    > the reality of peoples driving mistakes should not be hidden away as "just
    > one of those things" that doesn't really happen.
    >
    > Listen again on
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today3_crash_20060106.ram

    To be honest, I listened to the article on the link provided and didn't hear
    anything about the alleged 'people were objecting'. I would be interested to
    see if anyone actually had objected 'on the basis that the reality of car
    accidents shouldn't intrude . . ' is any evidence for people objecting on
    that basis?

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    OG wrote:

    > To be honest, I listened to the article on the link provided and didn't hear
    > anything about the alleged 'people were objecting'. I would be interested to
    > see if anyone actually had objected 'on the basis that the reality of car
    > accidents shouldn't intrude . . ' is any evidence for people objecting on
    > that basis?

    I either misheard it on the radio or the announcer must have said
    something in the intro. Details of the exhibition are at
    http://www.oxotower.co.uk/When_Lives_Collide.html

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  8. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > There was a piece on the Today Progamme on an exhibition about road
    > crashes. It included simulated crash scene photographs which had been
    > causing quite a stir and photographs of the bereaved. People were
    > objecting on the basis that the reality of car accidents shouldn't
    > intrude into our everyday comfortable lives. Seems to me we need the
    > opposite - the reality of peoples driving mistakes should not be hidden
    > away as "just one of those things" that doesn't really happen.
    >
    > Listen again on
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today3_crash_20060106.ram

    Indeed. We need abattoirs on the High Street and visitors' galleries in
    operating theatres.

    James
    --
    James Annan
    see web pages for email

  9. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Our local fire brigade put wrecked cars on roundabouts over Christmas
    (OK no simulated victims) but it was quite effective in a "WTF" context.

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > OG wrote:
    >>
    >> To be honest, I listened to the article on the link provided and
    >> didn't hear anything about the alleged 'people were objecting'. I
    >> would be interested to see if anyone actually had objected 'on the
    >> basis that the reality of car accidents shouldn't intrude . . ' is any
    >> evidence for people objecting on that basis?
    >>

    > I either misheard it on the radio or the announcer must have said
    > something in the intro. Details of the exhibition are at
    > http://www.oxotower.co.uk/When_Lives_Collide.html

    See also <URL:http://www.whenlivescollide.co.uk/>

    Anagram: I'm soon broke.

  11. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:47:01 -0000 someone who may be "Paul - xxx"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Every driver, of whatever transport system, ought to
    >be made much more aware of what can happen.

    On some transport systems drivers are rather more aware of what can
    happen than others. It is the largely unregulated roads where
    drivers tend to be less aware.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh

  12. On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 20:44:18 +0000 (UTC), Pete White
    <[email protected]> said in
    <[email protected]>:

    >The consequence of one second of selfish behaviour if used
    >correctly could prove to be better safety campaing than anything BeHIT
    >can muster.

    Not difficult :)

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  13. On 6 Jan 2006 15:33:54 -0800, "MartinM" <[email protected]> said in
    <[email protected]>:

    >Our local fire brigade put wrecked cars on roundabouts over Christmas
    >(OK no simulated victims) but it was quite effective in a "WTF" context.

    I've heard of this being done before, but it's a bloody good idea.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  14. M-gineering

    M-gineering Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On 6 Jan 2006 15:33:54 -0800, "MartinM" <[email protected]> said in
    > <[email protected]>:
    >

    >>Our local fire brigade put wrecked cars on roundabouts over Christmas
    >>(OK no simulated victims) but it was quite effective in a "WTF" context.

    > I've heard of this being done before, but it's a bloody good idea.

    yes, I've seen it done, and it was very well received. It is amazing how
    many usefull parts can be removed from a wreck, while in the end still
    leaving enough for a good fire!

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  15. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    M-gineering wrote:
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >> On 6 Jan 2006 15:33:54 -0800, "MartinM" <[email protected]> said in
    >> <[email protected]>:
    >>

    >>> Our local fire brigade put wrecked cars on roundabouts over Christmas
    >>> (OK no simulated victims) but it was quite effective in a "WTF" context.

    >> I've heard of this being done before, but it's a bloody good idea.
    >>

    > yes, I've seen it done, and it was very well received. It is amazing how
    > many usefull parts can be removed from a wreck, while in the end still
    > leaving enough for a good fire!

    Its effective but it isolates the issues to machines. What I like about
    the When Lives Collide is it brings home the real human aspects. These
    sentences alone should make anyone think:

    "The exhibition is an attempt to cut through the statistics and to take
    a personal and emotion look at this issue. These people may be terribly
    injured and/or bereaved, either way their lives are devastated. Many
    feel totally let down by the law and the government. The emotional
    consequences of these devastating collisions radiate out like waves on a
    pond. Mothers and fathers are left wondering why they have outlived a
    child and lovers are separated forever with no opportunity to even say
    goodbye. Children are left wondering why a parent has gone away, as in
    the case of Sophie Mayberry whose father was killed when she was only
    two and half years old."

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  16. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > M-gineering wrote:
    > > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > >> I've heard of this being done before, but it's a bloody good idea.
    > >>

    > > yes, I've seen it done, and it was very well received. It is amazing how
    > > many usefull parts can be removed from a wreck, while in the end still
    > > leaving enough for a good fire!
    > >

    > Its effective but it isolates the issues to machines. What I like about
    > the When Lives Collide is it brings home the real human aspects.

    blood spattered dummies in (and out of) the cars would probably have
    caused an outrage, although there was a TV ad like this a few years ago
    (to the tune of In The Summertime) which was very effective.

  17. On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:28:41 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    said in <[email protected]>:

    >"The exhibition is an attempt to cut through the statistics and to take
    >a personal and emotion look at this issue. These people may be terribly
    >injured and/or bereaved, either way their lives are devastated."

    Although a little disturbing, in that shroud waving is the technique
    of choice for the obsessive-compulsives, there is a real and present
    danger to combat (unlike with cycling) so in the end I am persuaded
    that this is a Good Thing.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  18. John_Kane

    John_Kane Guest

    James Annan wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    > > There was a piece on the Today Progamme on an exhibition about road
    > > crashes. It included simulated crash scene photographs which had been
    > > causing quite a stir and photographs of the bereaved. People were
    > > objecting on the basis that the reality of car accidents shouldn't
    > > intrude into our everyday comfortable lives. Seems to me we need the
    > > opposite - the reality of peoples driving mistakes should not be hidden
    > > away as "just one of those things" that doesn't really happen.
    > >
    > > Listen again on
    > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today3_crash_20060106.ram
    > >

    > Indeed. We need abattoirs on the High Street and visitors' galleries in
    > operating theatres.

    There is an old hunting slogan " You shoot it, you eat it." We could
    turn it around to "You eat it, you kill it". I am not sure I want to
    try to extend this to the operating room though.

    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

  19. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    On 6 Jan 2006 15:33:54 -0800, MartinM wrote:

    > Our local fire brigade put wrecked cars on roundabouts over Christmas
    > (OK no simulated victims) but it was quite effective in a "WTF" context.

    There's a few sites like that in Western Australia, only they put them at
    the top of 5(ish) metre high poles with the platform tilted towards the
    road,so you can't help but see them. Whether by design or not, the ones
    I've seen all have cars that have pretty much *no* space left where the
    driver would have been sitting.

    I still shudder whenever I see one.

    Graeme