SoCal is deadly for Cyclists....

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Jaguar27, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Hi Chums,
    Last Saturday morning I was riding north on the PCH through Laguna Beach and rode through the accident investigation scene of a Cyclist who had been killed...
    http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1249678.php
    His Bike was still laying in the Street

Then recently a local Guy who worked for Shimano was killed...
    http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/atoz/article_1152075.php

Then another in Newport beach..
    http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1253481.php

One in Anaheim...
    http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1253136.php

Plus, so far this year, two Cyclists have been killed on Camino Capistrano in Dana Point, this road, north bound, has been closed to Cyclists since then while they build a seperate Bike lane with a 3 foot Barrier...

Has anyone noticed a rise in Cycling accidents in their neck of the Woods??

Tags:

2. Insight Driver

Insight Driver New Member

I haven't, but I did read the accounts you linked and in every single case, it seems a driver made an error that killed the cylist. The cyclists were all innocent victims that were in the right in their particular situation.

3. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

That's true, and that's the worrying part about it all...there have also been several other Fatal accidents around here this year but I didn't search for links...most of those were very experienced Cyclists, one Guy held the Record for Climbing Big bear...and the local Newspaper quoted his $8000 Colnago...mind you, he did make a U-Turn in front of a Truck....

4. SouthBayGal

SouthBayGal New Member

I do recall the Dana Point deaths were big news - twice in the exact same area, right? I haven't noticed a difference in my neck of the woods, but most of the cycling here is concentrated on the beach bike path (which is separated from traffic) and the Palos Verdes Peninsula, which is sparsely populated. Most parts of LA and South Bay are so congested that everything slows to a crawl. It's just my general impression that much of OC has wider roads, fewer traffic signals and higher auto speeds... thus more dangerous to cyclists.

5. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Is most of SoCal or LA congested with traffic everywhere - streets and highways? Then wouldn't it be faster to travel by bike?

I travel faster than cars on some of the congested roads of Chicago.

6. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

That's right, two Joggers were very seriously injured first of all in that spot (One is now paraplegic)...then two Cyclists...one hit by a Drunk Driver...

Where is your beach Bike path? Is it a nice ride?? We have one in Huntington beach but it's deadly in the summer...too many people etc...

7. Pendejo

Pendejo Member

Nah nah, my state (Florida) is more deadly to cyclists than your state. (At least, according to the newspapers here.)

8. bluemarlinchef2

bluemarlinchef2 New Member

It's not a contest Pendejo!

Here in Vegas seems pretty dangerous though.... I'm originally from Long Beach,CA but drivers here in Vegas seem to be very impatient and rude!

I hate the drivers in those raised trucks with SKIN stickers or NO FEAR stickers! I've never been run off the road (knock!) but it sure is scary to ride at night here...

Oh how I miss those long rides on the beach!

Now I have long rides in the Desert:(

9. Pennstate

Pennstate New Member

Kind of a scary topic for all of us.
    Here is some food for thought... (info from USDOT)

1. 49,000 bicyclists have been killed in traffic crashes since 1932 in the USA.
    2. 622 cyclists were killed in 2003.
    3. pedestrians accounted for 86% of nonvehicle fatalities, cyclists 11%. Maybe it is safer to bike than walk?
    4. Since 1993, there has been a dramatic DECREASE in the cyclists fatality rate from vehicle accidents. (but an inrease for pedestrians)
    5. Average age of a cyclist killed in 2003 was 35.8 (yikes, I am 36:confused: )
    6. Fatalities occurred more frequently in urban areas, mainly during 'rush hour'
    7. Alcohol was a factor in 1/3 of fatalities.
    8. Males were 88% of the bike fatalities.
    9. Florida Cali and Texas had the highest fatality #'s.
    10. 97% of cyclist fatalities involved a cyclist NOT wearing a helmet.
    11. Children ages 5-15 accounted fro 1/5 of fatalities.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/TSF2003/809768.pdf

In summary, roads are dangerous for drivers, pedestrians and cyclists. Cyclists only accounted for 1% of deaths, so driving instead of cycling will not always save you. WEAR A HELMET. This means you too Ben Rothlesberger!

Informative stuff:cool:

Fred

10. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

I know the Trucks you mean, we have thousands around here, all Driven by complete Wankers...capable of hauling 40 tons, Towing the queen mary with 5 foot of offroad clearance, they never do any of that plus they only ever carry one person...their stupid selves!!

11. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

49,000 is way too many but I would have thought it would have been more than that? I'm glad it's not...

The strangest accident I've heard of around here was a Roadie on the beach path in Huntington beach...he passed a Girl who was walking in the opposite direction...the Towel that was wrapped around her suddenly blew in the wind, it got stuck in the Rider's wheel, he was thrown forward off his Bike and killed instantly...

Incidentaly, I'm with you on the Helmets, my wife had a bad crash two years ago at 20-25 mph, her (Bell) Helmet was cracked completely in a "V" shape on one side...she had concussion and lost lots of skin...but it could have been fatal if it wasn't for the Helmet...we loaned it to our LBS because he said he wanted to show everyone who buys a Bike why they chould wear one...he also tells them they can buy one from Target, Costco or walmart for $15 if they can't afford one of His high-end ones....

12. tanggoman

tanggoman New Member

I was contemplating on moving to Vegas until I read your post. Thanks for the information! Now, I can finally say I dont want to move out of the Bay Area.

13. bluemarlinchef2

bluemarlinchef2 New Member

Damn Tango!

How could you even consider moving from the Bay Area?
    It is very nice there. All those hills to challenge you too!!:eek:

I really don't think there is better weather outside of California!

During the Summer I wonder what the heck I am doing here in the Desert because it is so HOT. Like today, I want to ride in the afternoon but I'll die. It's 102 degrees:mad: .

Come out here to ride near Red Rock though!! It's really nice. You can go hiking, rock climbing and riding around the 13 mile road that has some little hills.

14. tumbleweed77

tumbleweed77 New Member

A cyclist was just hit this morning... my aunt called me to make sure it wasn't me as she said that the girl was wearing my colors.. our group is waiting for a response as we don't know if it was one of us or not...

The bike path we have down on PCH is useless for road riding, unless of course you're on it b4 6am... it's overrun with pedestrians, dogs, surfers, and causual bikers on cruisers... In my opinion, it's more dangerous to dodge all those people than to take chances with the cars.. but in my 3 months of riding experience (200 miles a week, commuting a 32 mile commute 4 days a week) I have had 1 extremely close call (let's just say the driver was REALLY lucky i had a good quick reflex to not break and to turn right along with him) but there are some STUPID people out there who just plain don't know what to do with bikers not on a sidewalk
    we go a lot faster than they think and they think they can get around us, but then stop, then go, then stop... I do find it odd that pch seems to be the most common ground to be hit on, but you'd think the drivers there would be used to cyclists.... I think any city is a dangerous place to ride in, that's why we as cyclists have to know what we're doing and pay attention to what's around us and not what song is playin on the ipod.

15. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

What section? I hope She wasn't too badly hurt! Let us know when you find out....

16. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

http://www.safecarguide.com/exp/statistics/statistics.htm

Worldwide numer of road traffic deaths in 1998: 1,171,000
    of which 141,000 were in wealthy nations.

Number of road traffic injuries in 1998: 38 million, of which 2,100,000 in rich european nations and 1,700,000 in North America.

Driving/riding on the road or walking across it is a pretty dangerous activity.