Social MTB riding in Richmond Park

JD

Guest
Hi
New to this game: does anyone know of any organised off road stuff
going on in Richmond Park at this time of year? Not hard core off
roading, just that I prefer track cycling to road. Have been round a
few times, and would like to do so with a bunch of people rather than
on my own.
Cheers

> Hi
> New to this game: does anyone know of any organised off road stuff
> going on in Richmond Park at this time of year? Not hard core off
> roading, just that I prefer track cycling to road. Have been round a
> few times, and would like to do so with a bunch of people rather than
> on my own.

Not to my knowledge. There really is only the Tamsin trail around the
outside, most other off-road areas are out of bounds. The only groups I see
down there are the roadies.

elyob wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hi
>> New to this game: does anyone know of any organised off road stuff
>> going on in Richmond Park at this time of year? Not hard core off
>> roading, just that I prefer track cycling to road. Have been round a
>> few times, and would like to do so with a bunch of people rather than
>> on my own.

> Not to my knowledge. There really is only the Tamsin trail around the
> outside, most other off-road areas are out of bounds. The only groups
> I see down there are the roadies.

Ditto.

Some yobs do use bits of single track but in doing so put all cycling in the
park at risk.

There are roadie groups on wed evening and sunday moring (I think!)

but there is no "organised" use of the tamsin and it would be frowned upon
in any event as it is a shared leisure trail not suitablefor large groups of
cyclists.

pk

p.k. wrote:

> Some yobs do use bits of single track but in doing so put all cycling in the
> park at risk.

The number of 'yobs'[1] using bits of single track has not IMO gone up
much if at all. Cycling in the park has never been better, bar the
20mph speed limit on the road. (Means I can no longer beat my PB for a
circuit - around 23mph ave many years ago.)

...d

[1] I grew up less than a couple of miles from Richmond Park. I have
been stopped by a policeman for riding off road in the park - in about
1982. We used to get home and beat the dents out of the chrome rims
with a mallet and block of wood..(FX: Dvorak's New World Symphony)

David Martin wrote:
> p.k. wrote:
>
>> Some yobs do use bits of single track but in doing so put all
>> cycling in the park at risk.

> The number of 'yobs'[1] using bits of single track has not IMO gone up
> much if at all. Cycling in the park has never been better, bar the
> 20mph speed limit on the road. (Means I can no longer beat my PB for a
> circuit - around 23mph ave many years ago.)

try it after dark - the ploice do not partol then!

In joke for those who use the park - the dear like the roads at night!

Except when closed for the deer cull the Tamisn trailforms part of our 25
mile off road run each wednesday and the deer are an interesting hazard. Two
rutting stags with full antlers crashinfg a few metres off the track
is.....ummmm.... interesting!

pk

p.k. wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> > p.k. wrote:
> >
> >> Some yobs do use bits of single track but in doing so put all
> >> cycling in the park at risk.

> > The number of 'yobs'[1] using bits of single track has not IMO gone up
> > much if at all. Cycling in the park has never been better, bar the
> > 20mph speed limit on the road. (Means I can no longer beat my PB for a
> > circuit - around 23mph ave many years ago.)
> >

> try it after dark - the ploice do not partol then!
>
> In joke for those who use the park - the dear like the roads at night!

No joke, cyclists have been taken out by rutting deer.

Late at night in the fog it is a somewhat spooky place..

> Except when closed for the deer cull the Tamisn trailforms part of our 25
> mile off road run each wednesday and the deer are an interesting hazard. Two
> rutting stags with full antlers crashinfg a few metres off the track
> is.....ummmm.... interesting!

;-) I may well take the kids for a gentle ride up there in the summer.

...d

Sorry, you've lost me. Are we supposed to not cycle on those paths??

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:44:58 -0800, David Martin wrote:

>> In joke for those who use the park - the dear like the roads at night!
>>

> No joke, cyclists have been taken out by rutting deer.

Serves 'em right for attaching antlers to the handlebars.

> Sorry, you've lost me. Are we supposed to not cycle on those paths??

The Friends of Richmond Park have tried to ban cyclists from the Tamsin
trail, as far as I know. They must have failed. You can still cycle around
the Tamsin trail. However I see a few bikes cutting across. A lot of that
cycling is not allowed.

Groups of cyclists on the Tamsin trail will noticeably standout, and will
probably p*ss off walkers. I wouldn't go with more than two or three in a
group at most.

To the OP, is it that you are searching for routes to do or are you looking
for people to cycle with?

JD wrote:
> Sorry, you've lost me. Are we supposed to not cycle on those paths??

Yes. You can use the roads or the Tamsin Trail. The other paths are
verboten. There's a 20mph speed limit on the roads, and a 15mph (I
think) limit on the trail.

--
Dave...

David Martin wrote:
> p.k. wrote:

> > try it after dark - the ploice do not partol then!
> >
> > In joke for those who use the park - the dear like the roads at night!
> >

> No joke, cyclists have been taken out by rutting deer.
>
> Late at night in the fog it is a somewhat spooky place..

I sometimes take a slight detour[1] on my way home to take in a lap of
the park. Cycling round the road at night is delightful. There are
still one or two cars there. I presume they must be residents. But for
the most part it's quiet and dark: just a few runners and a few other
cyclists. You do have to be aware of deer though.

[1] Sunbury, Walton, Esher, Kingston, Ham, Richmond Park, Richmond,
Twickenham. Very pleasant ride.

--
Dave...

John Hearns wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:44:58 -0800, David Martin wrote:
>

>>> In joke for those who use the park - the dear like the roads at
>>> night!
>>>

>> No joke, cyclists have been taken out by rutting deer.
>>

> Serves 'em right for attaching antlers to the handlebars.

Is this another drops v. flats (with bar ends) debate? I thought we only
just killed that one.

--
Ambrose

dkahn400 wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> Sorry, you've lost me. Are we supposed to not cycle on those paths??

> Yes. You can use the roads or the Tamsin Trail. The other paths are
> verboten. There's a 20mph speed limit on the roads, and a 15mph (I
> think) limit on the trail.

now 10 on the tamsin

pk

elyob wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Sorry, you've lost me. Are we supposed to not cycle on those paths??

> The Friends of Richmond Park have tried to ban cyclists from the
> Tamsin trail, as far as I know. They must have failed. You can still
> cycle around the Tamsin trail. However I see a few bikes cutting
> across. A lot of that cycling is not allowed.
>
> Groups of cyclists on the Tamsin trail will noticeably standout, and
> will probably p*ss off walkers. I wouldn't go with more than two or
> three in a group at most.
>
> To the OP, is it that you are searching for routes to do or are you
> looking for people to cycle with?

The ONLY cycling allowed in ther park is the Tamsin and the roads all else
is illegal.

The FoRP tried but failed to to ban cycling from the tamsin as it was funded
by a bequest in the nmae of Tamsin as a hared use trail for bikes and
pedestrians.

pk

Both really, but mainly people to ride with. I am quite fit, having
competed at another sport for a number of years, but haven't been on
the wheels of steel for years, so would probably be quite slow when
compared to competent cyclists.

JD said:
Both really, but mainly people to ride with. I am quite fit, having
competed at another sport for a number of years, but haven't been on
the wheels of steel for years, so would probably be quite slow when
compared to competent cyclists.

Well in that case why not check out www.londonbikehash.com a friendly bunch :) Generally ride in the west side of London and normally somewhere you can get a train to.

Bryan

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:06:39 -0800, JD wrote:

> Both really, but mainly people to ride with. I am quite fit, having
> competed at another sport for a number of years, but haven't been on the
> wheels of steel for years, so would probably be quite slow when compared
> to competent cyclists.

The Bike Hash sounds good.
Also lots of sociable rides on the LCC website.
http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=145

Join the lcc-rider email list for notifications of lots of rides,
mainly CTC organised. This is not a discussion list, so won't clog your
inbox.
http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=352

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:06:39 -0800, JD wrote:
>
>> Both really, but mainly people to ride with. I am quite fit, having
>> competed at another sport for a number of years, but haven't been on the
>> wheels of steel for years, so would probably be quite slow when compared
>> to competent cyclists.

> The Bike Hash sounds good.
> Also lots of sociable rides on the LCC website.
> http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=145
>
> Join the lcc-rider email list for notifications of lots of rides,
> mainly CTC organised. This is not a discussion list, so won't clog your
> inbox.
> http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=352

They are a little tired cyclists IMO. There isn't enough 2 star cycles
around here. If you want, then lets set a ride up.

"p.k." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> dkahn400 wrote:
>> JD wrote:
>>> Sorry, you've lost me. Are we supposed to not cycle on those paths??

>> Yes. You can use the roads or the Tamsin Trail. The other paths are
>> verboten. There's a 20mph speed limit on the roads, and a 15mph (I
>> think) limit on the trail.

> now 10 on the tamsin

Yes, new limits have been applied recently.

Do they apply to Wimbledon common? That is always more technical.

Not that technical really, but you can do a Tits Over there.