sodium levels in america

J

jobin

from an article at cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/02/11/salt.water.ap/index.html

excerpts:

"Group wants sodium intake cut, 8 glasses of water rule annulled"

"A long-awaited nutrition report suggests lowering the maximum amount of salt Americans should allow
themselves each day, even though the average person already consumes far more than is recommended. "

"The government currently recommends no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium a day, the equivalent
of a heaping teaspoon of salt. The new recommendation is 1,500 mg a day. "

"Most Americans need to eat a lot more potassium -- 4,700 mg a day, roughly double current
consumption."

T

Topcounsel

>"The government currently recommends no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium a day, the equivalent
>of a heaping teaspoon of salt. The new recommendation is 1,500 mg a day. "
>
>"Most Americans need to eat a lot more potassium -- 4,700 mg a day, roughly double current
>consumption."

I'm only one person, but I may be an object lesson on this. I don't really like salt, and as a
result I NEVER add it when cooking or at the table, to ANYTHING. I run 5 or 6 days a week, and I
have never had a problem with "not enough salt." That being said, I do eat bananas and drink
Gatorade (or the equivalent) daily. But I think it is probably fair to say we can do with less
sodium and more potassium.

A

Andrew Taylor

In article <[email protected]>,
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"The government currently recommends no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium a day, the equivalent
>of a heaping teaspoon of salt. The new recommendation is 1,500 mg a day. "

Not good advice if you are exercising in warm conditions though. I must have lost at least 3 grams
of sodium during this morning's training.

Andrew

S

Swstudio

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> "A long-awaited nutrition report suggests lowering the maximum amount of salt Americans should
> allow themselves each day, even though the average person already consumes far more than is
> recommended. "
<snip rest>

I would hazard to guess that this has no relavance to someone who runs daily (or almost) and sweats
buckets each time.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

J

jobin

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> "A long-awaited nutrition report suggests lowering the maximum amount of salt Americans should
>> allow themselves each day, even though the average person already consumes far more than is
>> recommended. "
> <snip rest>

> I would hazard to guess that this has no relavance to someone who runs daily (or almost) and
> sweats buckets each time.

i was thinking the same thing when i read that report.

jobs

G

Geoduck

[email protected] (TopCounsel) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >"The government currently recommends no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium a day, the
> >equivalent of a heaping teaspoon of salt. The new recommendation is 1,500 mg a day. "
> >
> >"Most Americans need to eat a lot more potassium -- 4,700 mg a day, roughly double current
> >consumption."
>

The way I read the bullet point summary on their web site, you should consume 1,500 mg of sodium a
day. Which isn't the same as a maximum limit. They also list a "tolerable upper intake level" of 5.8
g of salt, which would be around 2,300 mg of sodium by my calculation.

Check it out yourself at www.iom.edu

Anyone going to buy the report and tell us what it says?

Geoduck

B

Bumper

Apparently salt is not that much of a hazard to anyone, save a very
small group of Americans:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,111285,00.html

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "A long-awaited nutrition report suggests lowering the maximum amount of salt Americans should
> > allow themselves each day, even though the average person already consumes far more than is
> > recommended. "
> <snip rest>
>
>
> I would hazard to guess that this has no relavance to someone who runs daily (or almost) and
> sweats buckets each time.
>
>
> cheers,

M

Miss Anne Throp

The study also suggests that we need to eat more possum.