sodium levels in america

jobin

Guest
from an article at cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/02/11/salt.water.ap/index.html

excerpts:

"Group wants sodium intake cut, 8 glasses of water rule annulled"

"A long-awaited nutrition report suggests lowering the maximum amount of salt Americans should allow
themselves each day, even though the average person already consumes far more than is recommended. "

"The government currently recommends no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium a day, the equivalent
of a heaping teaspoon of salt. The new recommendation is 1,500 mg a day. "

"Most Americans need to eat a lot more potassium -- 4,700 mg a day, roughly double current
consumption."

Topcounsel

Guest
>"The government currently recommends no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium a day, the equivalent
>of a heaping teaspoon of salt. The new recommendation is 1,500 mg a day. "
>
>"Most Americans need to eat a lot more potassium -- 4,700 mg a day, roughly double current
>consumption."

I'm only one person, but I may be an object lesson on this. I don't really like salt, and as a
result I NEVER add it when cooking or at the table, to ANYTHING. I run 5 or 6 days a week, and I
have never had a problem with "not enough salt." That being said, I do eat bananas and drink
Gatorade (or the equivalent) daily. But I think it is probably fair to say we can do with less
sodium and more potassium.

Andrew Taylor

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"The government currently recommends no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium a day, the equivalent
>of a heaping teaspoon of salt. The new recommendation is 1,500 mg a day. "

Not good advice if you are exercising in warm conditions though. I must have lost at least 3 grams
of sodium during this morning's training.

Andrew

Swstudio

Guest
<[email protected]> wrote in message
> "A long-awaited nutrition report suggests lowering the maximum amount of salt Americans should
> allow themselves each day, even though the average person already consumes far more than is
> recommended. "
<snip rest>

I would hazard to guess that this has no relavance to someone who runs daily (or almost) and sweats
buckets each time.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

jobin

Guest
SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> "A long-awaited nutrition report suggests lowering the maximum amount of salt Americans should
>> allow themselves each day, even though the average person already consumes far more than is
>> recommended. "
> <snip rest>

> I would hazard to guess that this has no relavance to someone who runs daily (or almost) and
> sweats buckets each time.

i was thinking the same thing when i read that report.

jobs

Geoduck

Guest
[email protected] (TopCounsel) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >"The government currently recommends no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium a day, the
> >equivalent of a heaping teaspoon of salt. The new recommendation is 1,500 mg a day. "
> >
> >"Most Americans need to eat a lot more potassium -- 4,700 mg a day, roughly double current
> >consumption."

The way I read the bullet point summary on their web site, you should consume 1,500 mg of sodium a
day. Which isn't the same as a maximum limit. They also list a "tolerable upper intake level" of 5.8
g of salt, which would be around 2,300 mg of sodium by my calculation.

Check it out yourself at www.iom.edu

Anyone going to buy the report and tell us what it says?

Geoduck

Bumper

Guest
Apparently salt is not that much of a hazard to anyone, save a very
small group of Americans:

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "A long-awaited nutrition report suggests lowering the maximum amount of salt Americans should
> > allow themselves each day, even though the average person already consumes far more than is
> > recommended. "
> <snip rest>
>

> I would hazard to guess that this has no relavance to someone who runs daily (or almost) and
> sweats buckets each time.
>

> cheers,

Miss Anne Throp

Guest
The study also suggests that we need to eat more possum.