Sodium Phosphate... Is this safe to buy?

athletekitch said:
Read this in its entirety - results of use are ambiguous and if efficacious, best use for events 5minutes or less.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0317.htm

It's not as cut and dried as PPO would have you believe. However, research shows that every study that used tribasic sodium phosphate was ergogenic in endurance exercise. In our research (see http://cyclecoach.com/pageID-articles-Phosphates.htm for an overview) we found a significant performance effect on laboratory 10-mile TT peformance, using a randomised, placebo, double-blind crossover design.

Other phosphates that have been used have provided equivocal effects, and the potential mechanisms that may provide the ergogenic effect have yet to be fully elucidated.

Further, i know of know research that suggests that phosphate will only aid short term endurance (<5-mins). Our study took place over 10 miles (~ 21-mins) and other work (e.g., Kreider et al.) showed an increase in performance over a 25-mile TT.

There is more recent work (since our study was presented in 2000) showing that phosphate loading increases haematological parameters (our study just looked at the performance effect in well trained cyclists, and with short time between each trial and the fact it was randomised, is unlikely to be affected by training effect). see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=12135811&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum

ric

jrstevens said:
You never know what chemicals could sneak their way into a chemistry product regardless of what the label states. I'd shy away.

A.C.S reagents are about as good as it gets for labratory reagents. That said, since it's not certified for food use you don't know if the other 0.5% of the composition is safe for consumption. That fraction may be inert for most scienfific purposes but that's a different thing from biological interactions/effects.

I've got 17+ years experience in chemistry and I wouldn't eat something as innocent as even ACS grade Glucose. It'd have to be USP or food/drug store bought.

If you read the e-bay description on the link you posted, you'll see this:
"Hazard: Warning! Causes eye and skin irritation. Causes respiratory tract irritation."

I don't know about you, but I don't want my respiratory tract bothering me when riding...

ToffoIsMe said:
"Hazard: Warning! Causes eye and skin irritation. Causes respiratory tract irritation."

I don't know about you, but I don't want my respiratory tract bothering me when riding...

That's an inhalation warning... e.g., if you're pouring the powder to another container.

Any powder will cause respiratory tract irritation... that's a pretty standard warning for lab chemicals. If that was a bottle of glucose powder it'd have the same warning.

ToffoIsMe said:

That's an inhalation warning... e.g., if you're pouring the powder to another container.

Any powder will cause respiratory tract irritation... that's a pretty standard warning for lab chemicals. If that was a bottle of glucose powder it'd have the same warning.

F1_Fan said:

Stern, arent those studies having the athletes ingest sooo much they get GI distress (the runs) or have to take in so much it is not practical?

In the past I have had difficulty finding anywhere to purchase sodium phosphate,where can I look?, also to clarify is this best only before short TTs or crits?