Sodium Phosphate loading

vitiris

Jul 24, 2003
Thought my experience might be of interest. I am taking part in the Etape and have decided to load with tri-basic Sodium Phosphate. I started on Tuesday intending to load 4 days this week followed by 3 next week starting Wednesday. I took part in a 10 m TT this evening and was 22secs slower than 4 weeks ago on the same course. There was a heavy cross wind and all times were substantially slower including a clubmate who was down 1:08 (others were off by 1:30). I am no fitter than I was previously so can only assume that I had about 30-40 secs advantage from the loading. It was noticeable that I had no problems with the legs but I was restricted in my breathing. I was cycling for some time at 95% of my MHR. I will finish the story after the Etape if I survive!

Sean

Originally posted by vitiris
Thought my experience might be of interest. I am taking part in the Etape and have decided to load with tri-basic Sodium Phosphate. I started on Tuesday intending to load 4 days this week followed by 3 next week starting Wednesday. I took part in a 10 m TT this evening and was 22secs slower than 4 weeks ago on the same course. There was a heavy cross wind and all times were substantially slower including a clubmate who was down 1:08 (others were off by 1:30). I am no fitter than I was previously so can only assume that I had about 30-40 secs advantage from the loading. It was noticeable that I had no problems with the legs but I was restricted in my breathing. I was cycling for some time at 95% of my MHR. I will finish the story after the Etape if I survive!

Sean

I think trisodium phosphate is toxic (Na3P04). Don't eat that! Sodium bicarbonate is a better buffering agent. I've read that buffering agents such as bicarbonate improved endurance although these studies were done on poorly trained subjects.

Good luck in your race.

How is the Na3P04 administered? It must be a very dilute solution, it's a very alkaline substance.

Originally posted by vitiris

Sean

To my knowledge it takes 3-4 days of loading for results, but perhaps Ric can indicate exact dosage etc and maybe even a source as I've looked at it before, but been put off by price!

we used a 5-day load, 1g, four times/day, with the phosphate 'dissolved' in ~ 500 mL of flavoured squash drink (not sure what squash is called in countries other than the UK).

Phosphate, if you can get hold of it, is dirt cheap. off the top of my head, it must have been about UK£20 for 1kg, when we purchased in '98. that's more than 12 years supply!!

ric

Thanks Ric, very interesting. I've read there are different types, is there a particular type (bearing in mind there is dibasic,monobasic,tribasic to choose from) you would favour?

Incidentally, I have found a source.

http://www.romil.com/index.htm

http://www.romil.com/sars.htm#A7553

tri-Sodium Phosphate 12H2O SA
(Sodium Phosphate tribasic)
Code A7553
Standard Pack 500g 2½KG
S:24/25-26 EC:[231-509-8]
Na3PO4.12H2O MW 380.12 d 0.80 CAS [10101-89-0]
Assay >98%
Free alkali as NaOH <2.5%
Chloride <0.01%
Sulphate <0.01%
Heavy metals as Pb <0.001%

I'm not sure if they will supply to me, or even how much it is. But so far its the only UK source for loose powder, and buying tablets is a rip off in my opinion!

Originally posted by steve007
Incidentally, I have found a source.

http://www.romil.com/index.htm

http://www.romil.com/sars.htm#A7553

tri-Sodium Phosphate 12H2O SA
(Sodium Phosphate tribasic)
Code A7553
Standard Pack 500g 2½KG
S:24/25-26 EC:[231-509-8]
Na3PO4.12H2O MW 380.12 d 0.80 CAS [10101-89-0]
Assay >98%
Free alkali as NaOH <2.5%
Chloride <0.01%
Sulphate <0.01%
Heavy metals as Pb <0.001%

I'm not sure if they will supply to me, or even how much it is. But so far its the only UK source for loose powder, and buying tablets is a rip off in my opinion!

A rip off is only relative! To gain 30 secs on a personal best on a 10 m TT one might need to buy some Hed or Mavic wheels at ? Don't know how much it is going to benefit me now in the Etape as I was taken out by another rider on a 200 km Audax on Sunday and am a little bit the worse for wear. I must admit that I had thought a crash on the Etape was a possibility but an Audax ride!

Sean

Its not really relative, my statement relates to capsule content/cost in relation to loose powder content/cost. I can buy enough powder to make 2000 1 gram capsules for £19. A big saving or what?!!