Sodium Phosphate

ric_stern/RST said:
there's a few errors in the above text,

1) phosphate loading has been shown to increase power output by 8% (in some studies, e.g., ours) but not decrease time by 8%

3) there's no evidence whatsoever that sodium phosphate loading improves short term power

ric

Thank's for your input Ric but not sure i understand 1&3. so does it improve long term power? efforts 60min plus ? will it be no good for 40 min all out effort?

zaskar said:
Thank's for your input Ric but not sure i understand 1&3. so does it improve long term power? efforts 60min plus ? will it be no good for 40 min all out effort?

phosphate loading appears to increase power output by 8%. Under given conditions that won't have an 8% effect on time/velocity, as velocity is an almost cubic relationship to power (^~2.7). in other words in a hypothethical e.g., current power is 300 W and velocity is 43.2 km/hr, an 8% increase in power will take you to 324 W, while velocity will increase to 44.1 km/hr, an increase of ~ 2%.

the short term power that it doesn't effect are e.g., 30-sec all-out sprints, or repeated sprints.

no one has tested anything longer than ~ 1-hr, so we can't say for sure. however, i would imagine that it will play some role in longer events where you can race hard (e.g., 50mile TT), and may play a part in even longer events (e.g., 100mile TT) if you're of an ability level where you can race it properly (unlike e.g., me, who may be more concerned about getting around and possibly blowing up).

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
phosphate loading appears to increase power output by 8%. Under given conditions that won't have an 8% effect on time/velocity, as velocity is an almost cubic relationship to power (^~2.7). in other words in a hypothethical e.g., current power is 300 W and velocity is 43.2 km/hr, an 8% increase in power will take you to 324 W, while velocity will increase to 44.1 km/hr, an increase of ~ 2%.

the short term power that it doesn't effect are e.g., 30-sec all-out sprints, or repeated sprints.

no one has tested anything longer than ~ 1-hr, so we can't say for sure. however, i would imagine that it will play some role in longer events where you can race hard (e.g., 50mile TT), and may play a part in even longer events (e.g., 100mile TT) if you're of an ability level where you can race it properly (unlike e.g., me, who may be more concerned about getting around and possibly blowing up).

ric

Thank's for explaining that Ric!

I would like to know when (how many days before competion and when during the day- before after meal etc.), how much (per body weight), how often and how to take sodium phosphate+ sodium bicarbonate before TT competion.
How long should be the time before two loadings (is the effect reduced if taken too frequently)?
Any other side effects except gastrointestinal problems?

Thank you for your help.