Softening cycling gloves

Returning_cyclist

Jun 3, 2019
I like my gloves that I have now, but as always happens, they absorb sweat and then when they dry out they are as hard as a leather shoe sole, until I sweat enough for them to soften up. I was just going to get new gloves but then I wondered, is there something you guys use to soften up gloves so that you don't have to just toss them?

Thanks!

I simply run mine through the washer with the rest of the kit.
Apart from one pair of Gore gloves, they’ve all held up well.
If the palms are real leather they can be a little stiff after drying, but that goes away in seconds. Pull them lightly and approximately into shape before drying.

The palms are leather. It's hard for me to see how running them through the wash will help. It's getting wet then drying them out that makes them so hard and stiff. Would you put leather shoes in the washer/dryer?

It's getting wet then drying them out that makes them so hard and stiff. Would you put leather shoes in the washer/dryer?

I would if my foot sweat softened them up within 5 minutes!:D

Just wash them and wear them and if you are unhappy, buy a new pair. Then toss them too when they feel stiff. o_O

1EF99EA6-36AA-4759-8F89-B3FD266AF2D4.jpeg
This is my current inventory of (fingerless) cycling gloves. With the possible exception of the low left pair, I’m pretty sure the Izumis, the Bianchis and the Specializeds have leather palms. And they’ve all been washed regularly w/o apparent damage.

The palms are leather. It's hard for me to see how running them through the wash will help.
Ever noticed how a towel will feel if you keep using it?

It's getting wet then drying them out that makes them so hard and stiff.
Sweat is more than water. There’s salt and all sorts of grime being worked into the leather, binding up the fibers. This is what causes most of the stiffness. Heck, if I don’t rinse my helmet straps regularly they’ll crinkle and creak when I put the helmet on. And there sure isn’t any leather in those.

Would you put leather shoes in the washer/dryer?
Depends on the shoe. Something like a Stan Smith - sure. Sneakers with leather trim - yes. A more ”formal” black/brown all leather shoe - probably not.

Look, this is advice freely given.
You are equally free to ignore it.
But the gloves are near useless to you now, what have you got to lose?
Or start softly if you wish.
After next ride, keep gloves on and proceed as if to wash your hands. Be generous with the soap. Keep washing until the water runs off clean.
Shape them, dry them at room temperature. See how they feel.

Last edited: