Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

SoftTail vs Sprung Saddle vs SUS Post?

Started by PeteCresswell · · Last activity · 2 posts · 388 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 March 2008
Last activity
4 March 2008
Original author
PeteCresswell
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
388
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. For MTB riding, a hard tail with solid-rail saddle is out of the
    question for me.

    Not man enough, I guess.

    Acceptable alternatives would appear tb (although I've never ridden a
    soft tail)
    ----------------------------------------------------
    - Soft Tail with solid-rail saddle

    - SUS Post with solid-rail saddle

    - Sprung saddle
    ----------------------------------------------------

    I've got considerable time on both SUS posts (Cane Creek ThudBuster)
    and sprung saddles (Brooks B-72 and whatever one has the coil
    springs).

    Both work for me, but I find the idea of a soft tail attractive bco
    the increased saddle options and, I suppose, my own exhibitionistic
    tendiencies.

    Can anybody comment from experience on the tradeoffs?

  2. PeteCresswell said:

    Acceptable alternatives would appear tb (although I've never ridden a
    soft tail)
    ----------------------------------------------------
    - Soft Tail with solid-rail saddle

    - SUS Post with solid-rail saddle

    - Sprung saddle
    ----------------------------------------------------

    Disclaimer -
    Keep in mind that these are merely my observations and
    generalizations since not all softails are the same, nor are all posts
    and/or saddles, and the terrain you may ride may not be the same as
    that which I ride:

    I have used suspension posts and two softails, including my current
    ride, and find that there is not a huge difference over use of a
    (telescoping) suspension post when it comes to comfort. But both the
    softails and post are much more comfortable than plain hardtails and
    the softails aslo have the distinct benefit of providing their extra
    "cush" even when one is riding out of the saddle.

    All-in-all I prefer the softails for the reason mentioned above and
    the lack of relative movement between pedals and saddle.

    Softail notes:
    The elastomer spring in my first softail was so firm that its effect
    was initially nearly negligible. After being replaced with a much
    squishier insert (acquired from a junk bin at a local shop) the
    functionality of the suspension was vastly improved.
    My second softail uses an adjustable air spring. It is a bit
    "stickier" and thereby not nearly as supple, but has improved over
    time and with a little extra lube on the slider. It also offers a
    slightly greater range of actual travel (still just over 1"😉.

    Other observations:
    My experience with saddles that claim to offer some sort of suspension
    is that they are not as comfortable as a saddle that fits well,
    especially if the well-fitting saddle has a bit of flexibility. IMO,
    fit is more important than saddle padding or saddle suspension.
    Don't ignore fatter tires and/or low tire pressure as a simple comfort
    option.
    A 29er can also offer an improvement in comfort (in addition to all
    that has been mentioned above)

    DR

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.