Software to map out a route?

leadbutt

Dec 14, 2004
Now that I've been riding road for a little over two years, and it feels like I've rode EVERY paved road in three surrounding counties, I am interested in finding new routes to more distant locations. Granted, it's probably best to just ask a local in the particular area I wish to adventure to, but sometimes the reliability of directions is questionable. Shucks, the last supported ride I joined was mis-directed once or twice. Had I not been hooked up with two locals, I would still be looking for the SAG wagon now.

I've been using online maps recently and they are very helpful, especially Google's maps. However, you cannot track a route and therefore, you cannot calculate mileage. That's why I've become interested in mapping software.

The one I've found that seems the most intriguiging is Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006. It has ways of planning and plotting routes, calculating mileage and with an estimated speed, it can calculate trip time.

Does anyone else know of anything worth looking into? I'm not interested in investing much over $70-$80, so the Microsoft version @ $30 is appealing.

MS Streets and Trips works great for plotting out rides. Use that plus Google Earth to spot the new potential rides (free download from google - http://earth.google.com/).

leadbutt said:
Now that I've been riding road for a little over two years, and it feels like I've rode EVERY paved road in three surrounding counties, I am interested in finding new routes to more distant locations. Granted, it's probably best to just ask a local in the particular area I wish to adventure to, but sometimes the reliability of directions is questionable. Shucks, the last supported ride I joined was mis-directed once or twice. Had I not been hooked up with two locals, I would still be looking for the SAG wagon now.

I've been using online maps recently and they are very helpful, especially Google's maps. However, you cannot track a route and therefore, you cannot calculate mileage. That's why I've become interested in mapping software.

The one I've found that seems the most intriguiging is Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006. It has ways of planning and plotting routes, calculating mileage and with an estimated speed, it can calculate trip time.

Does anyone else know of anything worth looking into? I'm not interested in investing much over $70-$80, so the Microsoft version @ $30 is appealing.