Solar battery chargers

Howard Jones

Guest
I'm going to Nepal in October. I'd like to take my GPS but it eats
batteries. I usually use rechargeables but I'll be away from a source of
electricity for a long period.

I've seen a number of portable solar-powered chargers for AA batteries, in
particular travelwithcare.com is selling one for £12.99 which will charge up
to 4 batteries in a small box weighing 90g

Has anyone on the ng any experience with solar chargers? Are they effective?
Any recommendations?

TIA

Howard Jones

> I'm going to Nepal in October. I'd like to take my GPS but it eats
> batteries. I usually use rechargeables but I'll be away from a source
> of electricity for a long period.
>
> I've seen a number of portable solar-powered chargers for AA
> batteries, in particular travelwithcare.com is selling one for £12.99
> which will charge up to 4 batteries in a small box weighing 90g
>
> Has anyone on the ng any experience with solar chargers? Are they
> effective? Any recommendations?

No experience yet, but got one for a little trip I'm planning next month
- will be able to tell you more at the end of September :)

The charger you mentioned takes three hours to charge each battery *in
ideal conditions* so that's 12 hours of perfect sunlight to do all four.
Not sure how fast your gps eats batteries tho.

My charger has a much larger solar panel which charges 10 batteries.
These can then be taken out and used individually, or with the supplied
adpator the whole lot can be used like a car cigarette thingy - 10 x 1.2v
= 12v. Maplins were selling them off a while ago. This hints that
either no one bought them. Whether this is because there's not much sun
in Britain or that they're pants I'm not sure yet.

There're a few things I'm not too sure about with these things:

1. The batteries look like they're made of cheese.
- Ni-cads are pants. Go for NiMH (you have the choice of both)
- The batteries are likely to have a low thingy rating (amps? Hours?
something like that - how long they keep going anyway). Consider buying
rechargables with a longer life - you can get the up to 2400 wossnames
AFAIK. This will be expensive tho.

2. There is no way of making sure you don't overcharge the batteries.
Overcharging makes the batteries more likely to leak, and makes 'em run
out sooner. Expensive higher capacity batteries will be less likely to
be overcharged ('cos they take longer to charge) but will be expensive to
replacr if you do end up overcharging the life out of them.

3. Charging a mixture of dead and half charged batteries might not be a
good idea. Make sure you can charge batteries singly rather than having
to do the whole lot (you can with the one you mentioned).

4. My solar panel thing can only power things if I have a cigarette power
adapater dooberry or if it take AA batteries.

5. Buying a cigarette power adapter thingy that has various voltage and
thingy settings would solve that problem, but I'm guessing that these
would be fairly inefficient.

6. I live in Britain. Do I really expect to get much use out of this
thing??!?! :)

Mark.

"Howard Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm going to Nepal in October. I'd like to take my GPS but it eats
> batteries. I usually use rechargeables but I'll be away from a

source of
> electricity for a long period.
>
> I've seen a number of portable solar-powered chargers for AA

batteries, in
> particular travelwithcare.com is selling one for £12.99 which will

charge up
> to 4 batteries in a small box weighing 90g
>
> Has anyone on the ng any experience with solar chargers? Are they

effective?
> Any recommendations?

We had a solar powered charger to charge the batteries of VHF radios
we were using on an Arctic exped, and it proved very effective, but we
were able to make use of the 24hr daylight. In your case you might
need to turn your rucksack into a solar panel while you walk during
the day.........Having said that, the maps in Nepal are fairly poor so
perhaps you don't really need it?

Graham

>I'm going to Nepal in October. I'd like to take my GPS but it eats
>batteries. I usually use rechargeables but I'll be away from a source of
>electricity for a long period.

Unless you are trekking well off the beaten track for long periods
(not necessarily advisable with the Maoist situation) you will find
electricity in most places. Many more villages each year get connected
to hydro electric schemes. Nearly all the villages in the Annapurna
Sanctuary and on the Annapurna circuit have electricity as do many on
the way Everest base camp. In areas like Langtang you may be away from
power for a few days but I doubt if it is sufficient to warrant the
expense of a solar charger. Duracell batteries are easily available in
Nepal (and much cheaper). My lithium camera battery gave up at
Chomrong (a village on the way to Annapurna base camp). The local shop
had a replacement at about half the UK price.

In message <[email protected]>, Mark
Thompson <[email protected]> writes
>> I'm going to Nepal in October. I'd like to take my GPS but it eats
>> batteries. I usually use rechargeables but I'll be away from a source
>> of electricity for a long period.
>>
>> I've seen a number of portable solar-powered chargers for AA
>> batteries, in particular travelwithcare.com is selling one for £12.99
>> which will charge up to 4 batteries in a small box weighing 90g
>>
>> Has anyone on the ng any experience with solar chargers? Are they
>> effective? Any recommendations?

>No experience yet, but got one for a little trip I'm planning next month
>- will be able to tell you more at the end of September :)
>
>The charger you mentioned takes three hours to charge each battery *in
>ideal conditions* so that's 12 hours of perfect sunlight to do all four.
>Not sure how fast your gps eats batteries tho.
>
>My charger has a much larger solar panel which charges 10 batteries.
>These can then be taken out and used individually, or with the supplied
>adpator the whole lot can be used like a car cigarette thingy - 10 x 1.2v
>= 12v. Maplins were selling them off a while ago. This hints that
>either no one bought them. Whether this is because there's not much sun
>in Britain or that they're pants I'm not sure yet.
>
>There're a few things I'm not too sure about with these things:
>
>1. The batteries look like they're made of cheese.
> - Ni-cads are pants. Go for NiMH (you have the choice of both)
> - The batteries are likely to have a low thingy rating (amps? Hours?
>something like that - how long they keep going anyway). Consider buying
>rechargables with a longer life - you can get the up to 2400 wossnames
>AFAIK. This will be expensive tho.
>
>2. There is no way of making sure you don't overcharge the batteries.
>Overcharging makes the batteries more likely to leak, and makes 'em run
>out sooner. Expensive higher capacity batteries will be less likely to
>be overcharged ('cos they take longer to charge) but will be expensive to
>replacr if you do end up overcharging the life out of them.
>
>3. Charging a mixture of dead and half charged batteries might not be a
>good idea. Make sure you can charge batteries singly rather than having
>to do the whole lot (you can with the one you mentioned).
>
>4. My solar panel thing can only power things if I have a cigarette power
>adapater dooberry or if it take AA batteries.
>
>5. Buying a cigarette power adapter thingy that has various voltage and
>thingy settings would solve that problem, but I'm guessing that these
>would be fairly inefficient.
>
>6. I live in Britain. Do I really expect to get much use out of this
>thing??!?! :)
>
>Mark.

I bought the Maplins charger when they were selling them off a few weeks
ago. It works very well, and the blue poly-crystalline solar cells seem
to work much better than the brown-ish coloured amorphous ones.

I intend to replace the standard ni-cads with Ni-MH though, and I've
already changed the car 12V socket for a 2.5mm small co-ax DC power
socket.

The charger's nicads power a USB GPS 'mouse' and iPAQ PDA (through a
switch-mode regulator) superbly.
--
Chris Morriss

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:19:16 +0100, John
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>I'm going to Nepal in October. I'd like to take my GPS but it eats
>>batteries. I usually use rechargeables but I'll be away from a source of
>>electricity for a long period.

When I went on Everest Basecamp trek I took camera, GPSr and Archos
(for saving pics) together with AA batts - mix of rechargeable and
Lithium non-rechargeable (the best disposables you can get - last
longer and at all temps).

Also took iSun solar charger which I used to recharge AAs on our rest
days. Everything worked well and brought the Lithiums back with me
(took them as backups but didn't need).

One word of warning: make sure you don't carry AAs on your person on
any internal flights (they'll be confiscated)

..
Mark Cavendish
Cardiff, Wales

[email protected] said...
> 6. I live in Britain. Do I really expect to get much use out of this
> thing??!?! :)

I don't see why not. I once had the luxury of solar heating for
water, and had hot water every day, even in winter. Only very
rarely did I need to put the immersion heater on as back up.
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 16:07:08 +0100, "Howard Jones"
<[email protected]> uttered:

>I'm going to Nepal in October.

>Howard Jones

Are you going with the 4th?