Solar power for your toys while on tour....

> Looks an interesting toy for those on tour and away from reliable
> mains power, wonder if it actually *works*....?

I bought something similar. Mine definately _won't_ fit in your shirt
pocket so is probably better. The idea is that you leave the thing in the
sun for hours to charge the batteries, then charge your phone from those
batteries. Mine charges the phone ok in summer, but not too sure about
winter! The missing thing is a charge indicator to let you know when the
batteries are fully charged.

For charging phones a wind-up charger might be better - it will provide
plenty of power for standby and text messaging, though for talking it might
need a _lot_ of winding :)

Those little 'emergency' battery packs might be even better if it's just an
occasional thing - they're smaller so you'll be more likely to have 'em on
you.

in message <[email protected]>, Call me Bob
('[email protected]') wrote:

http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/product/iPod_General Accessories/SL01.htm

> New solar powered battery/recharging doobrey. Apparently suitable for
> all your cool little gizmos, iPod, iPAQ, phone etc etc.
>
> Looks an interesting toy for those on tour and away from reliable
> mains power, wonder if it actually *works*....?

I use a solar panel on my boat, about 250mm by 750mm. It provides all
the electrical power needed for instruments, lighting and VHF
transciever, although the battery does not have enough capacity to run
two nights on navigation lights in succession and the panel does not
fully recharge a nights' worth of nav lights in a normal day. However
if you aren't using nav lights all night, there is no problem whatever
with power - it just works.

;; Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us
;; many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.
;; Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
;; Tom Stoppard, Artist Descending A Staircase

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:07:31 GMT, Call me Bob
<[email protected]> wrote:

>http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/product/iPod_General Accessories/SL01.htm
>
>New solar powered battery/recharging doobrey. Apparently suitable for
>all your cool little gizmos, iPod, iPAQ, phone etc etc.
>
>Looks an interesting toy for those on tour and away from reliable
>mains power, wonder if it actually *works*....?

Not tried this one, but have used a solar panel which cost me £10 from
Maplins.

Eight or so hours of daylight (not necessarily bright sun) was
sufficient to charge two AA NiCd's. The panel also worked with a Nokia
phone.

On 17 Oct 2004 18:30:57 GMT, Mark Thompson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>For charging phones a wind-up charger might be better - it will provide
>plenty of power for standby and text messaging, though for talking it might
>need a _lot_ of winding :)

Tesco have them (In the bloke's gadgets section)