Solar powered light

Colin Blackburn

Guest
While looking for something else I came across this:

http://www.solarenergyalliance.com/LED_waterproof_warning_light.htm

The blurb says:

"""
Solar LED Red flashing warning light. This is a very versatile solar
powered flashing LED warning light. It is completely water-proof (it
even floats!), it comes with a belt clip, wrist/arm band, a bicycle
mounting bracket and magnetic clip for auto/truck emergencies.

Measures approx. 3" X 2.25" X .5".
Solar panel charges up the built-in battery. 3 hours of sun will flash
the light for 24 hours (low profile on-off switch on back).
Great for swimmers or to mark a hazard, like a broken step, rail or wet
paint.
It has 6 extremely bright red LED's (much more red than the picture
shows) that can be seen from a great distance. Weighs less than 2 ounces.
"""

Not something you could rely on but maybe a useful addition?

Colin

in message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
('[email protected]') wrote:

> While looking for something else I came across this:
>
> http://www.solarenergyalliance.com/LED_waterproof_warning_light.htm
>
> The blurb says:
>
> """
> Solar LED Red flashing warning light. This is a very versatile solar
> powered flashing LED warning light. It is completely water-proof (it
> even floats!), it comes with a belt clip, wrist/arm band, a bicycle
> mounting bracket and magnetic clip for auto/truck emergencies.
>
> Measures approx. 3" X 2.25" X .5".
> Solar panel charges up the built-in battery. 3 hours of sun will flash
> the light for 24 hours (low profile on-off switch on back).
> Great for swimmers or to mark a hazard, like a broken step, rail or
> wet paint.
> It has 6 extremely bright red LED's (much more red than the picture
> shows) that can be seen from a great distance. Weighs less than 2
> ounces. """
>
> Not something you could rely on but maybe a useful addition?

Don't see why you should not rely on it, if your bike is parked
somewhere exposed to sunlight during the day. The electrics on my boat
are now entirely solar powered, and the power system has been
commendably straightforward and maintenance free.

;; Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
> ('[email protected]') wrote:

>>Not something you could rely on but maybe a useful addition?

> Don't see why you should not rely on it, if your bike is parked
> somewhere exposed to sunlight during the day.

That's the if I couldn't rely on. The Brompton would be indoors during
the day, the upright would be parked out of direct sunlight.

> The electrics on my boat
> are now entirely solar powered, and the power system has been
> commendably straightforward and maintenance free.

Our house is solar powered but we can't rely on it for all our needs.

Colin

Simon Brooke wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn

> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>Not something you could rely on but maybe a useful addition?

> Don't see why you should not rely on it, if your bike is parked
> somewhere exposed to sunlight during the day.

That's the if I couldn't rely on. The Brompton would be indoors during
the day, the upright would be parked out of direct sunlight.

> The electrics on my boat
> are now entirely solar powered, and the power system has been
> commendably straightforward and maintenance free.

Our house is solar powered but we can't rely on it for all our needs.

Colin

My solar powered sun-bed doesn't work so well on cloudy days.......
Sean.

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:12:38 +0000, Colin Blackburn
<[email protected]> wrote:

>While looking for something else I came across this:
>
>http://www.solarenergyalliance.com/LED_waterproof_warning_light.htm
>
>The blurb says:
>
>"""
>Solar LED Red flashing warning light. This is a very versatile solar
>powered flashing LED warning light. It is completely water-proof (it
>even floats!), it comes with a belt clip, wrist/arm band, a bicycle
>mounting bracket and magnetic clip for auto/truck emergencies.
>
>Measures approx. 3" X 2.25" X .5".
>Solar panel charges up the built-in battery. 3 hours of sun will flash
>the light for 24 hours (low profile on-off switch on back).
>Great for swimmers or to mark a hazard, like a broken step, rail or wet
>paint.
>It has 6 extremely bright red LED's (much more red than the picture
>shows) that can be seen from a great distance. Weighs less than 2 ounces.
>"""
>
>Not something you could rely on but maybe a useful addition?
>
>Colin

New Zealand Nature sent me one free when I ordered a silk sleeping bag
inner and headtorch. It flashes like crazy and is very noticable
(possibly to the point of being annoying).

The bicycle mounting bracket is next to useless, but the belt clip and
arm loop are useful. I have mine mounted on the back of my h*lm*t with
the on/off push button accessible through one of the vents. I've not
had the battery run out yet, so solar charging seems to work ok.

Overall if it wasn't free I don't think I'd have bothered, there are
better lights for £10. Not sure if New Zealand Nature are still doing
the offer, mine arrived with my ordered items without notice.

Cheers,
Chris

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:

>> The electrics on my boat
>> are now entirely solar powered, and the power system has been
>> commendably straightforward and maintenance free.

> Our house is solar powered but we can't rely on it for all our needs.

Not that urc attracts more than its fair share of tree-hugging Earth
Mothers ;-)

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke wrote:

>>> The electrics on my boat
>>> are now entirely solar powered, and the power system has been
>>> commendably straightforward and maintenance free.

>> Our house is solar powered but we can't rely on it for all our needs.

> Not that urc attracts more than its fair share of tree-hugging Earth
> Mothers ;-)

It's called coping with living off the grid round our way---Northern
Electric want 15 grand to attach us to the grid, solar panels are cheaper.

Colin